News: Higby Outlines this Months Patch - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma's watching. Think happy thoughts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-08, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Higby Outlines this Months Patch

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...patch-2928.htm

Hey all!

Happy New Year, I hope you all had a great 2012 and are having an amazing start to 2013. On the Planetside 2 we had a pretty **** fantastic 2012, but we're looking forward to even bigger and better things in 2013! I've said before that while 2012 was the year that Planetside 2 launched, 2013 is the year when we're opening up the afterburners and aiming for the stars. After a well earned rest the team is energized and ready to get back to "kicking *** and fixing bugs. And we're all ou--" er, oh yeah, okay, we've still got some bugs to fix.

While we were out we were still paying attention to the forums as well as twitter, reddit, facebook and all the other places you guys interact with us; we've heard a lot of your excellent feedback, ideas, concerns and consternation. One of the biggest goals of our team has been and continues to be listening to our community and following YOUR direction for what this game needs to become. We're going to be talking a lot more about this philosophy in the coming weeks and how community involvement is going to directly impact our development schedule & priorities as we reveal "our" plan for the next 6 months. For now, we wanted to address some of the biggest issues we're seeing come up over and over again, so that's what we're focused on for January's update.

Game development can be messy and there is always the possibility that something from this list may slip or not pass QA, and more details will be released on the specifics of all of these items as we get closer to the patch date, but I wanted to get this info out to all of you as soon as possible, so with that in mind, here are some highlights from what the team is working on finishing up for LU02 which will be released on 1/30/13.
  • General performance increases, particularly for lower end GPUs
  • Experience (XP) system enhancements:
    • Dynamic XP system for player kills, players who have more kills are worth more XP. Freshly spawned players will be worth a fraction of the current kill reward.
    • Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
    • Population XP / Resource bonus moved over to continent population instead of global
    • Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
    • Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
  • Server transfer token available in Depot
  • UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
  • Sortable columns on outfit management & addition of "last online" column
  • New weapon type for all empires: SMG
  • Short period of invulnerability will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.
  • Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
  • New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map
  • New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
  • Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
  • Making MAXes render more reliably at long distances for players in vehicles
  • AA improvements, notably flak changes for turrets and skyguards, giving them some better ability to aim, although not drastically impacting their DPS.
  • Fixes to missiles so that they more reliably detonate and actually blow stuff up
  • Air vehicle weapon tweaks
  • Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons
And of course... lots of bug fixes
Whew, it's going to be a busy month! We know this doesn't address every issue that's been brought up recently but we hope it knocks out some of the big ones. Check Holiday Gift Guides and Michaels Ad. Hopefully you will see from this update (and the feature plan for the next 6 months, when that is revealed) that we're taking your feedback and concerns for the game very seriously. We're here, we're listening and we're committed to continue to work with our community to build the best online game the world has ever seen.
As always, your feedback is very welcomed, here, on reddit, on twitter and everywhere else you may find us.
Cya on Auraxis!
-
Matthew Higby
Creative Director - Planetside 2
@mhigby

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-01-08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Higby Outlines this Months Patch

Yeep.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-01-08, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
james
Sergeant Major

Looks good, the only thing that has me confused is

Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons

HE already is a problem why make it better.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not a ton of changes but definitely some stuff that we have discussed around here.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-08, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SixShooter
Captain

Dynamic XP and tunnels!!

Old 2013-01-08, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

All in all good changes all round. And its going to be out this month +1 SOE.

Old 2013-01-08, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brusi
Contributor
Major

niiiiicceeee!!!!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-01-08, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

That is a wonderful down payment on our design debt. <3
Old 2013-01-08, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Archonzero
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Dynamic XP and tunnels!!
Yay to dynamic xp an other coming fixes, changes, additions.

While tunnels is a cheap fix (a welcome one) to the overall issue, I would much rather opt to a more defensive minded layout for major bases.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Outfit Sorting YES!

That makes me probably the most excited of anything on that list.

I'm pumped to see a spawn room redesign, that's great they're listening to us on that - I think that one change alone along with dynamic exp. is going to change the game significantly.

Also, let's not forget server transfers, that's also awesome.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
adaroe
Private

population xp moved to continents ,good, hopefully with an increase in xp bonus%
Old 2013-01-08, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Archonzero View Post
Yay to dynamic xp an other coming fixes, changes, additions.

While tunnels is a cheap fix (a welcome one) to the overall issue, I would much rather opt to a more defensive minded layout for major bases.
Agreed but tunnels are definitly a step in the right direction and something that can be expanded upon.

They really need to add dynamic XP to base caps as well but this is still a step in the right direction.

Old 2013-01-08, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OCNSethy
Major

Great stuff!

"◦Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses"

Does that mean XP for defence or am I just being overly optimistic?
Old 2013-01-08, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
gunshooter
Corporal

Meh, it's okay I guess. I'll probably play a few days to try it. But it fails to address many problems.

Even if spawns are less campable, bases are still poorly designed. This is especially true for minor outposts. I do like the addition of tunnels, though, and tank/aircraft nerfs are always good.

Really dumb that they bended to the will of Buzzcutpsycho in just flat nerfing kill EXP for everyone, even infantry players. I laughed at the "tweaks" to support exp also, support already gets a ton of exp. The entire game will be engineer/medics just trying to farm exp because kills will give you none. If there's one thing the game DIDN'T need, it's lowering the rate of cert gain even more.

SMG's are just a moneygrabbing addition though. You know what an "SMG" in gaming terms is in PS2? A carbine. The last thing this game needs is more boring automatic weapons that effectively serve the same purpose, but I guess Higby needs his paycheck.

Last edited by gunshooter; 2013-01-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Well nice less vehicle kills and more infantry to infantry combat. Love the tunnel idea. Now some tunnels at outpost and towers would be great as well. Let the above ground be what it should be for, vehicle vs vehicle.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion