[Test:]Oculus Rift with planetside 2 = OMFG !!!!!! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: hey man, you've spilled some Vanu on your shirt.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-12-27, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

[Test:]Oculus Rift with planetside 2 = OMFG !!!!!!

Decided to rewrite this a little so its not so much "omfg look @ that kid" : )
Got annoyed on my own reading hahah ((Sry bad eng))

So I just tested my Oculus Rift together with Planetside 2 and the game looks incredible, Absolutely incredible.
It was so mind boggling to see everything from a "irl" perspective like you were really there.

"For the people that don't know the oculus is scaling everything perfect so everything you look at is in perfect scale, nothing is to big or to small, everything is perfect, Then of course you have to tweak the screen to your setting, the fov, the angles on the screen borders so it get the "fish eye" effect".

I tested it out mostly in the warpgate area because thanks to the screendoor effect its rly hard to see enemies or anything past aprox 20 feet away (yes its very noticeable but the "darker the games" you play the better it is. Like the game Dread Halls , barely noticeable there). Planetside 2 don't support 3d/or oculus so when looking towards the sun there were some clipping and lighting bugs showing up.

It was so weird now thinking back on it playing planetside 2 on regular screen now.
The landing area was so huge, it rly in some way felt like an air port / lz with the gigantic and damn right epic warpgate towering up behind and around me, Looking "up" on the landing pads above there were no longer some "small pads" that show up on a regular screen, Now it was two huge pads throwing a great shadow over the ground below.

Galaxy's feel like AC - 130 but a little shorter (Am I right on the number?),
They are just huge to look at and with the sound coming from the engines, It became a PURE joy just walking around them. The ony thing that would be nice is if there were a little bigger "legs" on the plane so it wasn't so close to the ground : ), But hey, even that it didn't even looked close to planetside 2 on low settings (that bad yes) ,it was not the graphics I was caring the most about, in fact I didn't care at all about them.

It was the feeling of being there !, On the LZ on a future planet with alien structures reaching far up in the sky.
And future vehicles hovering/driving by, Still in perfect scale like you stood there irl.
Can't imagine how the "Load stars" would look if they brought those back in now thinking about it : )

Vanus (long live the vs) tanks aka Magriders for the new ppl rly feel like the are huge floating Abraham's tanks in size (think on an abram tank with air bag under) hovering they are even bigger. The canon I didn't like though in virtual reality, not that it didn't look good but I am more of a: "See the weapon, yes you see that?, now run little piggy run" person and the magrider gun as we all know is somewhat "in" the tank.

The machine guns (I have on my mag rider) though (Standard one) is like standing next to a real 50 cal gun (haven't don't that irl but I know from videos they are pretty big)though I get a feeling that they might be maybe 2x bigger in ps2. And I rly don't know how they need to take 10 bullets from them to kill one inf guy, what I saw they should rip him apart from just ONE of those beasts.

Maxes are monsters haha, No but seriously, They are like a rly tall basket player were standing in front of you with a rly huge and heavy armor on, He is indeed what the devs said, "A walking tank", And I if one would be scared as hell I can tell you when the 1080p version is coming and you running in to those monsters at night.
(Terran republic ones I rly like)

Harassers look like you stand beside a DAKAR RALLY RACER.
Its not the size of a humviee but like a smaller Dakar rally racer, With that said I hope they do bring in a vehicle that is a little bigger then the harasser and a little smaller then a sunderer, Like a 4 man jeep/humvee

Liberators feel like the size of a normal fighter yet, Not talking about the ones in the game but
the ones your country fly with. In my case it was like standing next to a JAS 39 GRIPEN with the thickness of a harrier yet. That said: Add a ball turret under and in the back and you get a nice picture of it in your head.
It rly feels like a heavy bomber and the belly turret rly feels like you can just open the door to it and climb in, Its not like its small on a normal screen, here its truly a ball turret that a person can fit in when standing outside.

Then we have the bio domes, At this point my eyes was starting to take a toll so I was just doing this fast but walking under a massive Bio dome with the oculus was just, idk, out of this world is a good thing to say.
Imagine (for the ones that never done it) to stand under the Eifel tower and look up, Now you wont see the top that is the point of it, But instead, think of looking around you and looking at the legs, That is how it felt with a Bio dome above your head, And when you went far away so you could start to see the blu shield it was just epic in so many ways so there is not words for it.

haha then we arrive at the lightning's, Shooting with a Lightning and looking and see those guns to the right blasting away with shells flying out from the side, The shells are btw not small like in the game, Sure they are not like a person in height like in the movie Evangelion, but think of them like half of your leg (Kneecap down to foot ancle). That size is now flying out from the side and when looking up you can see the gun together with the feeling of sitting next to the driver in "open mode" on an Abraham tank and looking on that gun.

Wall turrets my good are they sexy. When you stand behind one of those monsters and there is no one in.
It already feels like standing behind a huge turret where people go in and fight of people, No im serious.
The roof to the "cockpit" in "down position" is already up to your neck (I am 1.74cm), Then when it is activated "Thanks ViruZzZ for showing me " and it rises up it rly feels like no wonder those pack a huge punch when they hit. First of its huge when its in upwards position, Like if you should go up there and climb in you would need a 3 foot ladder to the cockpit, It was sooo amazing to see !

And finally we have the ability to look around (only tested it in galaxy)
That rly felt in al ways possible that you were inside the cockpit, looking down and around and you there are all the panels, look out through the window to the left to see an other galaxy take off, it rly gave you the feeling of the power of being a pilot in one of those gals and how small the troops must be in the "back".

An other awesome feeling were that when you looked out you could see the other people walk around.
The size you can try to think is like when sitting in a boing passenger plane and watching the engineers outside fueling or washing the wings)

Planetside 2 devs: I so wish that you would read this and take this under talk at the office.
This will take ps2 to an other whole ball park, You will be the first huge fps/mmo/future/military/strategic game out there. And you would hold a ground that would be even harder to try to overshine by others by just "Releasing something new open world war game".

Just implement the oculs rift support in the game (its no hard... Or what do I know... I just hope its not hard)
and it will be amazing to play, Don't take me wrong though, its already amazing on a normal screen.

Some points for you to think @ if you goanna do it.

*Try to make so you can walk forward and turn your head, like in arma
*Try to make so when in a gal you can turn around and look through a doorway into the back of the gal and seeing it fill up like a rollercoaster trane in fps mode (rollercoaster tycoon)
*Make the animations come back - You will need them if you go the vr way for realism and you can't jump this over if so
*Make so the lightning for a example have like a glass hud over you, so when you go in you go: "up on the tank, open it up, sit down, close the hud and everything starts up.

I hope you rly do this and think of it -: )
Now time to go back to mass effect 2 and oculus rift
(its like playing it on a cinema screen from a perfect row, Reading is hard yes but if you played it before there is no problem at all, just sit back and enjoy the ride)

Questions: Please ask

Last edited by DevilzRightHand; 2013-12-27 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2013-12-27, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Oty
Contributor
Corporal

Re: [Test:]Oculus Rift with planetside 2 = OMFG !!!!!!

Sounds awesome! I really hope that there will be occulus rift compatibility if the occulus is a big hit!
Need to ask, how much did you spend to get an occulus to sweden, with shipping and all? and is it the "developers kit" you bougth? (swede here aswell )
and is it just to "plug in and play" with PS2?
Old 2013-12-27, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Oty View Post
Sounds awesome! I really hope that there will be occulus rift compatibility if the occulus is a big hit!
Need to ask, how much did you spend to get an occulus to sweden, with shipping and all? and is it the "developers kit" you bougth? (swede here aswell )
and is it just to "plug in and play" with PS2?
I strongly believe that it will be a big or even huge hit.
This is the future of gaming imo : )

I spend about 1580sek but it was worth it, I wont be playing more planetside 2 in "this" rift I have now because it was un playable and I just wanted to see the possibility's and as you red it was mind blowing.

But there is already over 200 games out (Indies games and if you count in Tridef 3d (the one I played Planetside 2 with , you can also use the VorpX)*Search 4 it on youtube if you need. It emulates the screen for oculus rift, Its some tweaking but mostly just plug and play after the first setting is done in any game

So it was worth the money and as soon as the 1080p version is going out to pre order I will do it without even blinking. And I usually don't by these stuff of things, It have been a lot of talk and nothing more for a long while now so I was unsure about getting this. But SO GLAD that I did
Old 2013-12-27, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I really hope they focus more effort on making this a better game with far more depth than adding more eye candy gimmicks. The game is pretty enough now but gets boring and repetitive quickly and doesn't offer much of a rewarding experience. Adding rift support will not fix that.
Old 2013-12-27, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stormhall

Boom I'm back!!

Nobody cares cuz not many people know me but whatev's.

Yeah I wanna get an OR one day. Games are gonna look epic!!!
Old 2013-12-27, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Chewy
Major

I don't know if a visor is of use in a FPS yet.

Iv only seen videos of the rift being used, both eyes side by side and a single view, and the combo of head controlling with your head and body control with the mouse feels like it would be a hinder and lead to real motion sickness. Bad FOV already makes me ill after a while, a rift would send me running to a toilet. Also the amount you have to move your head to look around is kinda big and takes a lot of time to do so.

Granted just seeing everything in a VR headset would be fucking EPIC. But using one in a fight seems to me like an expensive suicide option with how slow you would be.

What about those that need glasses? Only my left eye is going bad so far but even that means I have problems reading and seeing details without glasses. Does the rift do anything for people like me?

Some games are good for VR, but not many. Using a rift in a shooter wouldn't do anything for you but be eye candy and make you play like shit. Driving, 1st person exploring, RPG, or other games that don't focus on needing to look around fast would be great for a rift. Shooters don't fit into that and I see no reason why Rift support is needed. The tech isn't ready for a VR that fits a shooters needs anyway. To big, heavy, and slow.

Just thinking of using the rift as a monitor and turning off the head tracking makes me uneasy with how much you need to move the mouse and how fast your view would change. Might be able to get accustomed to that, but likely wont be worth the effort.
Old 2013-12-27, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
I really hope they focus more effort on making this a better game with far more depth than adding more eye candy gimmicks. The game is pretty enough now but gets boring and repetitive quickly and doesn't offer much of a rewarding experience. Adding rift support will not fix that.
"Eye candy gimmicks" is not Oculus Rift
Oculus Rift is Game Enchanter in a NON graphical way.

Like i said : ) , i played it on "ultra low" if there ever was a setting to that i
didnt care what so ever about the graphics, It was all about beeing there.

Also: More repetitive i fully agree on, We need Hossin and we need more stuff to do fast, This is geting rly booring rly fast right now. But with oculus and virtual reality it will breath some new life in to this game, Dont take me wrong i enjoy it but not as much as i would with more continents, more stuff to do, better resourses and such.

Though with the rift on you it will be a whole new way to see the game and a whole new way to think and battle once you are in the heat of it.
Now you see everything "small" on the screen and its already epic to see a lightning fly by you when running forward on the frontline or a reaver flying under the branches on indar to fire at tanks.

Now think that in 1 to 1 perspective, where its perfectly scaled.
It will bring a hole new game play over all to the game and that will make alot of ppl forget the looooong waits that will take before we have the planetside 1 style of gameplay look alike again

sry my rly rly bad eng on this one :/(
Old 2013-12-27, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I don't know if a visor is of use in a FPS yet.

Iv only seen videos of the rift being used, both eyes side by side and a single view, and the combo of head controlling with your head and body control with the mouse feels like it would be a hinder and lead to real motion sickness. Bad FOV already makes me ill after a while, a rift would send me running to a toilet. Also the amount you have to move your head to look around is kinda big and takes a lot of time to do so.

Granted just seeing everything in a VR headset would be fucking EPIC. But using one in a fight seems to me like an expensive suicide option with how slow you would be.

What about those that need glasses? Only my left eye is going bad so far but even that means I have problems reading and seeing details without glasses. Does the rift do anything for people like me?

Some games are good for VR, but not many. Using a rift in a shooter wouldn't do anything for you but be eye candy and make you play like shit. Driving, 1st person exploring, RPG, or other games that don't focus on needing to look around fast would be great for a rift. Shooters don't fit into that and I see no reason why Rift support is needed. The tech isn't ready for a VR that fits a shooters needs anyway. To big, heavy, and slow.

Just thinking of using the rift as a monitor and turning off the head tracking makes me uneasy with how much you need to move the mouse and how fast your view would change. Might be able to get accustomed to that, but likely wont be worth the effort.
I fully agree, The movement in planetside 2 must be some what redone if to work with oculus rift. Right now you are just augmenting the mouse movement to the oculus rift more or less, And to look around in the cockpit i was needed to hold down the "middle mouse button" for me.
(dont know what that is called to enable look around mode)

In some way i agree on you on visors, is it rly needed? Well in some ways it would be perfect for the people like me ( that dont care so much about if i kill every damn dude i see on the map, not that you are like that either though ) But i am more of an "i want a cool experience WITH awesome gameplay" dude.

Like "i want that" (example)

Standing the front line with your lightning, looking out through the little side window and rly feeling that claustrofobic feeling in the tank, People running by you outisde and the storm is blowing over indar sea bed.
You hear in the platoon voice chat, Squad 1 move to bravo and you roll out, You see friends in the side mirror when looking out exloding in a fire ball while you drive for the front lines with tracers flying by your little "visor/cockpit" and the "pling pling pling" of bullets hitting the armour.

Then from no where you see a mighty prowler towering up above you from behind a ditch.... THAT is what i want : )

Or when standing on Foot (for all the infantry out there) on the front line, looking left and right while fiering forward, screaming/saying (rather) in the squad chat, push forward push forward and you can see the whole army around you start to move forward while tracers flying around your head.

GLASSES : are no problem, with the rift you get 3 different linces so people with glasses can use the rift without any problem. Or rather the problem for you is to get use to how to put it on over the glasses, but its possible.
(my self dont own glasses but ppl in my family have and have tested it out)

The head movement you can speed up with programs (VorpX) for an example, it all hangs on how much you tweek the screen in the program.

SRY bag ENGLISH - i will spell check it soon: )
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion