News: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Matt Higby's Hair Appreciation Society
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2015-05-08, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordelicius
Major

Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...e_way_forward/

(At long last) Planetside 2's last stand.

I'm just glad that our posts on PSU is not going to waste:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...702#post960702
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...687#post960687
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=58504
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...535#post960535
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...626#post960626
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...352#post960352
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...231#post960231
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...790#post960790

One thing they shouldn't ever implement is the Black Ops option. Take any pro team sports game. Allow players to switch teams on a whim. How many fans will continue to 'follow' their team and not rage quit? Some of these fans are following their teams for 10-50+ years. You want them to quit in a day? It's called a tribal affiliation. Any bonds beyond natural family is a tribe. Don't break it or players will leave, just like they leave normal FPS easily and move on to the 'new' one.

Now, your favorite players will be beating up your team. Much like your old allies are now beating up on your faction. It's absolutely inane. There's a reason why they pump out nonstop BF and COD. It's a sell and dispose model. Now they are going to copy FPS formula. Reward faction loyalty. Don't deemphasize it. Only with faction loyalty you will have the best, long term faction pvp in an MMO.

Originally Posted by http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3582el/the_way_forward/
Hello PS2 players both current and hopefully the ones that have played and moved on. I want to lay out our direction moving forward for PS2.

The development team continues to work on many things at once. We have the PS4 version launching very soon here. We've had to spend time getting the codebase to merge, and yes.. that's led to some problems like we all saw with the flight controls.

I realize there are people who think that means it's all about the console versions going forward.

It isn't. We won't let it be that way because we like the PC way too much for that.

In the near term, we're adding more people to the Planetside 2 team (hopefully bringing some people back that were former team members) to help us get our development bandwidth to where we want it to be. However, we have plenty of horsepower to deliver on some amazing things this summer already.

The plan is simple - We are going to be taking Planetside 2 to where it needs to be and finally address the stuff should have already. The metagame. We will once and for all be getting the Meta to where it just has to be. That means a comprehensive change that will involve completely revamping resources, changing what territory control means and spending a lot of time giving you reasons to fight. All of this will be done in a fully transparent manner in which we actually put our internal design docs out there for your comment and feedback.

We will be moving towards a system where resources are actually going to be a fun part of the game, and you'll be able to harvest resources directly (in fact, that's how you're going to get them). and you'll be able to use them to finally get to some of the end-game things we've been wanting to do - Outfit bases on new continents (and potentially on existing ones). We're also going to be spending a lot of time to make sure capturing a facility actually matters, as well as looking at the overly-complicated capture system which can be pretty obtuse at times.

The simple problem with Planetside 2 has always been "Why are we fighting?". We intend to make the focus of the time between now and our 2.0 release in September working very hard on this core issue. We have put it off way too long, and honestly the stuff we've done up until now hasn't been enough and we know it.

The team is also committed to a much more regular update schedule on the PC. We want to be honest about only having a finite amount of resources, but a significant portion of them will be dedicated to the PC and advancing the game itself. We will absolutely be adding more resources to this team to assist in this.

We'll be making announcements about the 2.0 release in the near-term future with a lot more specifics. In addition, we have a nice surprise for you... we're also going to be adding another game mode to Planetside 2 for the first time. You can expect to be seeing that in the upcoming week on Live servers (it will be a beta of the game mode). This will actually be a game mode with a win condition! Hopefully you like it. It's meant to be the kind of thing you pop into for an hour match and then go back into the main game. Hopefully in the short term we can make it so outfits can directly compete against other outfit in this game mode. Also, we aren't charging to get into this mode. The entire reason for it is to try something new and see how we all like it as a community.

Why do this instead of just doing the Meta stuff? Simple - we are experimenting and trying something new. Before you judge, try it. It only took a small subset of the team a few weeks to put together and we hope you like it.

In the months between now and September we're going to be putting all kinds of new things into the game on a regular schedule. We're also going to be committing to doing a better job on the Roadmap. The criticism that we do a poor job updating it is something that I think is both fair and accurate and it's simply going to be done right.

So for those of you that thought Planetside 2's best days are behind it... you are going to be pleasantly surprised, but the proof has to be in what we do not in what we say.

Planetside 2 is one of our core franchises. It will be here in ten years and assuming we can make the right choices it can be 10x as big as it is right now (on the PC, not even talking about adding console users).

To those who think all we care about is the console - no, no, no. PC is our lead sku and is always going to be. We are very excited to bring PS2 to the Playstation 4. It's really fun. Our console players are every bit as important to us as our PC players, but in terms of how we develop stuff, expect the PC to be the lead sku.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for playing Planetside 2. We're in this for the long haul and we're going to work our asses off to make sure you are too. The only way we do that is to take this game to the next level, so that's just what we're going to do.

Smed
Old 2015-05-08, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"

Ahahahhahahaha.

I believe this bullshit when i see a video of it in action on the live server.
Old 2015-05-08, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

/sees more agitprop from Smed
/resist gag reflex, read anyway
/reread again, carefully
/see nothing pertaining to intercontinental lattice, or addressing the revolving three-way ritualized clusterfuck, or actual strategy, or even a global map, or any of the things we had out of the box twelve years ago
/puts on big-company IT bullshit filter, realizes that this is the political mechanic who presided over the destruction of SWG and the bankruptcy of his own company; realizes also that this is all a bunch of exciting bullshit designed to 'build value' for potential investors so Smed can get his golden parachute after somebody snatches up the crumbs of what used to be SOE
/shrug
Old 2015-05-08, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I seriously doubt they will get this all done in 4 months and the game should have been this way on November 20, 2012! I don't know about the instanced aspect being so separate from the main game though. I understand the need to try and accommodate all the arena shooter players but it just isn't the Planetside way! If you really want to go for it just instance out the hex regions. Still bucks the traditional PS style but heck at least it would be integral to the world map.
Old 2015-05-10, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
OpolE
Sergeant Major

Cba to read

What new planets will there be?
And I did read they were working on the metagame a bit?

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2015-05-10, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by OpolE View Post
Cba to read

What new planets will there be?
And I did read they were working on the metagame a bit?
Not in the strategic-gameplay sense that we mean it.

Nor is there mention of a fucking USER'S MANUAL. This while there are weekly threads complaining how hard it is for new players and while pops continue to decline.
Old 2015-05-12, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mordelicius
Major

It's a 180 degree turn around from their old positions for sure where they flat out and out right say that redeployside is not even a big deal (do I have to dig up that stream VOD?)

Or when they don't think basic 'meta' or logistic is not even essential. Instead, they throw around psychobabble terms like 'moment-to-moment gameplay' as if they have never pvped in an RvR MMO before. They act as if you give 2000 players guns/weapons/vehicles in a huge continent and they will just shoot each other down and be happy with it.

Fill up a beach with people. Give them unlimited water balloons. How long the fight last before they get bored of it? Ten minutes? Twenty minutes? You can only get so much diminishing-return satisfaction on pelting someone with a water balloon or a snowball. Now if you add some mechanics like shooting it down a hole for points or stealing balloons for points or rules like balancing it on your head for transport, players will play longer. 'Moment to moment gameplay' (why make a large-scale, 100% PvP MMOFPS when all you think of is ADHD centric gameplay?)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...oducer/cokj75b

Old 2015-05-16, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I think this is great news.
Old 2015-05-20, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mordelicius
Major

New gamemode (what ever that means) out next after the delay. I'm guessing at best a continent wide Royal Rumble-type of last man standing elimination mode. At worst, small scale team deathmatch maps.

Anyway, not coming back until they fix the resource/redeploy/base values. Anxious how they can make it by September. If they want it to release it by that time, they have to fill everyone in using the Roadmap Wishlist very soon.

Surely they aren't going to implement it to the PTS without any community critique/feedback. Consider how the PS2 devs have few experience if any on other RvR PvP MMOs.

Also consider, PS2's first real competition has their Open World already planned out.

Old 2015-06-09, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Smed's post is bullshit because in order to do what he says he wants, he'll have to fix base design to not be total shit.

And that will naturally lead to battle flow.

Battle flow will lead to meta working better.

LOOOOOLLLL at Smed.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2015-06-10, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mordelicius
Major

They ought to release the details of the PS2 2.0 overhaul so it can be critiqued asap.

Funny, Smedley just casually announced Forgelight 2 engine. Seamless continents?
Old 2015-06-10, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Calista
Second Lieutenant

It's going to take more than a new engine or console platform to save this game. It simply needs a better/bigger reason to play. Needs to provide a better sense of reward and achievement and especially since it is going to consoles it has to do this in much more quicker fashion.

It is a different type game entirely but I recall once they said DCUO revenue ratio was something like 80% consoles to 20% PC's or 70/30. Something like that I don't recall exactly but you get the drift. In short if it weren't for consoles that game would likely have been long gone by now and the same is going to hold true for PS2.
Old 2015-06-11, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
They ought to release the details of the PS2 2.0 overhaul so it can be critiqued asap.

Funny, Smedley just casually announced Forgelight 2 engine. Seamless continents?

are they porting everything over to FL2? where was that announcement?

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2015-06-11, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
are they porting everything over to FL2? where was that announcement?
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comment.../h1z1s_future/

Originally Posted by http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/396gs4/h1z1s_future/
Our goal remains to have a massive world. We're doing that with Forgelight 2, which has been in development for quite a while now. We'll be able to show stuff to you soon, but needless to say we're super excited by what we're seeing. It's truly going to give us the 16,000 square kilometer world we've been waiting for. We want the world of H1Z1 to truly be a world. One where you can build your own cities and settlements, or take over one if you can hold it.
http://np.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments...future/cs10zfh
Originally Posted by http://np.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/396gs4/h1z1s_future/cs10zfh
will it impact development of the other games? Absolutely, but only in a positive way. We've had an engine team separate from the game teams for a long time now. Not ready to announce what it's going to mean for PS2 but good things for sure.
PS2 is now second fiddle, so H1Z1 gets the first dibs, we get the crumbs lol. But isn't that what I predicted with H1Z1 cannibalizing PS2? http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=58093

@Calista

That's the misnomer. DCUO is PvE-centric. Planetside is hardcore PvP (players won't stick long at current 'farm mode' condition). That's why we keep saying not to release PS2 on PS4 at this current state, yet they relent on doing so. Console players are used to beating up hapless NPCs, where they always win easily.

In PS2, they will just die, die and die. Check this video of PvE game-reviewer Angry Joe getting wrecked so hard because he brought a newbie army. Look at his frustration. He couldn't even kill anyone.
Old 2015-06-11, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Porting PS2 into FL2 would be a massive waste of time imo. It's his comment
We want the world of H1Z1 to truly be a world. One where you can build your own cities and settlements, or take over one if you can hold it.
that annoys me because it sounds like I've heard that before...and here we are.

Console, PC, it doesn't matter. The average gamer in general isn't used to the absolute raping you'll get when you first hop into the game. If these new console players come in with the same mentality they have when they play the smaller, round based games then PS2 on PS4 is going to fail. In no other game can you throw balance out the window by dropping a platoon into the mix. Battlefield doesn't let you go from 64v64 to 64v128 at the drop of a hat.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion