PDA

View Full Version : comp dead

shinken
2003-07-08, 07:20 PM
i put a new 56k modem card in my comp (cant get DSL for another 3-4 months:mad: ) but after i put the case back together and pluged it back in the comp wont boot up and will only beep at me every 2-3 seconds what do i do??
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

powdahound
2003-07-08, 07:46 PM
Give us some information on your motherboard, etc.

Did you try booting with the modem out again?
Did you try reseating the ram to make sure it didn't get bumped out?

shinken
2003-07-08, 08:43 PM
i have a AMD Athalon processer
yes i tryed w/ the new card out, the old card in, both cards in, and only video card but it still beeps at me

Allerial
2003-07-09, 12:19 AM
I suggest making sure the RAM is seated correctly. This happened to me once also when I was putting something in my computer.

Agathon
2003-07-09, 08:32 AM
Hello,

Open the case again and check EVERY connection to be sure they are snug. Make sure all expansion cards are seated well. Make sure the RAM is seated well. Use a mirror and flashlight to closely inspect the base of the RAM to be sure they are seated correctly.

When you installed the modem, were you grounded with a strap? Did you feel or see any static sparks? Did you only touch the modem, or did you unplug and touch other components? Was the computer plugged into the wall when you did the work?

Put the computer back how you had it, check all of the cables again, take out the CMOS battery, wait a minute, put the battery back in, and then boot the system. If it doesn't come back up, you probably nuked something while you were in the case. If we had better info like the brand of the motherboard and BIOS version (will be hard to get at this point), we could get error codes for the beeps.

Thanks,

shinken
2003-07-09, 01:48 PM
yes i made sure that my dad was grounded (he insisted that he do it even tho i am infinitly better at computers) and made sure i was grounded when i messed w/ it l8ter ill try the cmos thing and ill check the ram and other cards to make sure they are seated right,

Thanx