PDA

View Full Version : PC Building

Nimbus
2003-09-05, 02:51 PM
Hello one and all. I'm getting ready to build a new PC as soon as I recieve my new credit card. I'm going to be constructing it pretty much from scratch. New case, new board, new processor, new ram, new vid card, new sound card, new cd rw. All that good stuff. I'm retaining my hard drives and some other misc parts.

Questions for anybody else who does this.
I'm thinking of attempting a multiple monitor set up. This is something I've never done and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips/suggestions for this. Also wondering if anybody knows any good places to buy parts. I normally use Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com) which I've found to be pretty cheap and reliable.

TheRagingGerbil
2003-09-05, 03:33 PM
www.googlegear.com (http://)

My personal fav

Nimbus
2003-09-06, 08:55 AM
Heh, pretty good site. Prices seem competetive with Tigers, although this one seems to have free shipping. Cool.
Ergggg $500 vid card..I want it...can't afford it...must have it!!

Rbstr
2003-09-06, 04:13 PM
That $500 vid card is worth it, but check out the Radeon 9600pro
Never get a non pro radeon, you can also get a 9500pro and ther is suposed to be a way to turn on the 2 rendering piplines that ATI turned off to make it not a 9700

Nimbus
2003-09-07, 11:20 AM
Yeah, people say that a lot.
At the moment I have a 9100 pro. It works alright, but I'd like to get something a bit better.

NoSurrender
2003-09-07, 04:14 PM
well www.newegg is pretty cheap but crap for memory and hard drives then u go to google gear and most games dont support multiple monitors...

Nimbus
2003-09-07, 10:10 PM
Well the idea wasn't to run the game on two monitors. The idea was to run the game on one and other desktop applications on the other. I suppose I can just use my other PC for it.

OneManArmy
2003-09-08, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Nimbus
Hello one and all. I'm getting ready to build a new PC as soon as I recieve my new credit card.

oohh busting out the new credit card for a big purchase.... tsk tsk... credit is bad mmkay... I had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago and im still paing my credit card off from that... it is preventing me from getting something i really want...

oh i know this is completely off topic but hell its 2am so deal with it... :p oh and use pricewatch.com i go there for all my stuff..

Trebor95
2003-09-08, 03:42 AM
Don't get a new one yet m8 :)

Wait for the new stuff in October/November

The new AMD Opteron/FX CPU at 2ghz is about 40% - 50% faster than a 3.xghz P4 in most game benchmarks like Quake3/UT2k3

they are going to be THE big gaming rig soon :) with some nice fast ram on an Nforce 3 mobo and you're totally sorted for the next 3 years at least :)

abd a Rad 9800XT :)

:drool:

Nimbus
2003-09-08, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Trebor95
Don't get a new one yet m8 :)

Wait for the new stuff in October/November

The new AMD Opteron/FX CPU at 2ghz is about 40% - 50% faster than a 3.xghz P4 in most game benchmarks like Quake3/UT2k3

they are going to be THE big gaming rig soon :) with some nice fast ram on an Nforce 3 mobo and you're totally sorted for the next 3 years at least :)

abd a Rad 9800XT :)

:drool:

I'll be taking that advice, thank you very much.

oohh busting out the new credit card for a big purchase.... tsk tsk... credit is bad mmkay... I had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago and im still paing my credit card off from that... it is preventing me from getting something i really want...

Credit is not bad if you can back it up with cash. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a local store that sells computer componants so I have to order it online. I could use a check or debit card to order but I'd rather use a credit card so I can get my credit rating up.

User58
2003-09-09, 09:06 PM
Price Grabber (http://www.pricegrabber.com/home_comp.php/ut=444b4c6a753db281)

Check this price for a 9800 Pro

Here (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=704418/ut=444b4c6a753db281)