PDA

View Full Version : Standard Exo

Rightwing
2003-10-09, 10:57 PM
The trend now is people get JH + Standard Exo + Surge and zip around like fking bumblebees.

Yes, I'm guilty.

:D

Gigabein
2003-10-09, 11:14 PM
so let's see... hard-hitting shot of NC + rate-of-fire of TR + maneuverability/speed of VS? yeah... sounds great :doh:

aiwest420
2003-10-10, 02:55 AM
i do that quite a bit too...
standard exo+jackhammer+deci=win?

Unknown
2003-10-10, 03:19 AM
To be brutally honest, I find that to be a cheap tactic. When you "zip around like a bumblebee" your movements are far from fluid on other players' ends. You will be seen as warping back and forth, and the larger the battle, the worse your movements get. Plus, to top it all off, NC is about the only empire to be able to effectively pull this stunt off without a major downside: CoF. You hardly need to worry about CoF with the JH, but all other empires do. Believe me, I've tried it with the lasher, and all it does is empty your clip mostly into the air. Whoopdiedoo, I got a few "lashes" in, it can take up to 20 shots (a full clip) to kill someone with "lash" damage, direct hits are where the power is.

Chalk me up as another "n00bhammer" whiner if you will, but I seriously feel this something the devs need to look into. I would suggest either removing the ability to equip/fire a weapon while surging, or give the JH a larger CoF penalty to put it more in line with other empires.

On a near totally unrelated note, I've noticed that almost everyone feels their empire is underpowered/other empires are overpowered, at least to some degree. Even I was guilty of this once, until I stepped back and took a look at the bigger picture. Only then did I realize that things really did look relatively balanced. For example, I used to think that VS were horrible, basing that assumption on my having trouble killing others with our empire specific weapons, and the fact that we always seemed to lose battles. Only when I stepped back and looked at the bigger picture did I realize:

Those battles we were always losing? They were on other empire's home conts. Looking at the bigger picture, we often had great success in pushing other's off our home conts, just as they had great success in pushing us off their's. I was just frustrated at losing, and tried to place the blame on an easy scapegoat: "We're underpowered!/They're overpowered!"

Those weapons I wasn't effective with? I wasn't using them correctly. Sure, Cycler tends to own Pulsar closer range, but Pulsar has the advantage at range, same with the Guass. Lasher? I just needed to lead the targets better. It's got it's advantages and disadvantages just like the other HA weapons.

Anywho, less rambling; more sleep.

Spee
2003-10-10, 01:50 PM
Dude. It's a shotugn.

COF = Irrelevant.

Crouvchin with the MAG-Scatter pistol will get you as tight as a sniper rifle being completely still. HOwever, when you shoot it, does the spray stay as tight as a sniper rifle? No. The CoF on a shotgun IS the shotgun itself.

Jeez.

Unknown
2003-10-10, 02:29 PM
Yeah? So? I know how the CoF works, why are you explaining it to me? Allow me to quote myself:
You hardly need to worry about CoF with the JH, but all other empires do.

A CoF penalty probably wouldn't matter, I just used it as an example. I'm simply asking for some form of penalty for surging around like a maniac in standard armor with your JH. The lighter armor is obviously not enough, especially considering that you rarely get hit because of the network code.

Incompetent
2003-10-10, 03:09 PM
I'm going to have to agree with unknown here, the whole surgeing agile/standard thing is the essence of cheap.

Slice
2003-10-10, 03:28 PM
I definately agree with Unknown here, heck, I've created an NC character just to surge around with a Jackhammer. I would wonder why I never get hit until I get a tell "Stop fucking flying all over the place!!!"

How bout this? The Jackhammer is an extremely powerful shotgun. After every shot, due to the kickback, the CoF can't make it all the way down to normal due to the extreme kickback unless a sufficient amount of time is spent still (to a point, when the CoF hits about a centimeter wide it stays that way). And sure, with the triple-burst mode on, they widen the CoF, but why not have it blast you backwards a step or two or slow you down or something as a penalty?

On another note, how come the NC Heavy Assault is the only weapon with a secondary fire???

Jagd
2003-10-10, 03:31 PM
Meh, it's just a smart strategy. You can get a pretty similar effect with any HA weapon as long as you get right up in their face (or better yet, their back). When using the MCG if you're shooting point blank the CoF doesn't matter at all, because they fill up your friggen screen. This also happens to be the only highly effective way to take down a MAX with the MCG.

JetRaiden
2003-10-10, 03:32 PM
I picked up heavy assault for the first time in a while and played around with this tactic in agile.. one time I was in an infiltration suit and hacked an enemy equipment terminal in the middle of a crowded spawn room and wasted about 5 people before they knew what was going on. I love all the new WTF?!?! tellls i get now.

Doppler
2003-10-10, 04:37 PM
OFN

Christ it has nothing to do with heavy assault you can get the same effect with the mag scatter or the sweeper or an amp or a cycler. Does it suck, is it countered by your enemy doing the same thing, yes. This is a good example of something I'd like to coin "Common Pool bitching" everyone has basicly the same ability to do it, and yes some empires do it better but it's less an agile problem or a surge problem or even a jackhammer problem as much as it is a game issue problem. It's like the vehicle run down thing, yes it sucks because you cant dodge them yes it sucks that they can run you over just by coming close enough to you when your behind cover, yes it sucks that the game doesnt take speed or clips into account it's just if their moving over X mph and your near them your dead, no ifs ands or buts. Are the vanu btter at it because of their strafing ability? Yes, is there anything that can be done about it without a major game change? No.

Katanaboy
2003-10-10, 10:31 PM
In my opinion, the jackhammer can't be compared to the lasher because the jackhammer doesn't need projectile leading, because it's instant-hit. The lasher's orbs take time to get there, and even at point blank it is still possible to surge/strafe/dodge them. With the jackhammer, as long as the enemy is in the crosshairs when you click, they'll get hit.

Happy lil Elf
2003-10-11, 04:30 AM
Chalk me up as another "n00bhammer" whiner if you will
Done and done :)

SandTrout
2003-10-11, 12:47 PM
HA+ surge in general is extreamly effective. I've seen it used by both the lasher and MCG to great effect. There is a difference in how they are all used however.

I've noticed a theme about NC weapons that is related to the hard-hiting bullets. The NC weapons are more effective in general in 1vs1 situations(IE: Tripple burst on the JH), but loose effectiveness reletive to the other empires when dealing groups of enemies. The lasher can lash a very large # of enemies, even if you miss your primary target. The MCG has a huge magazine and you are likely to hit someone in a group with signifagant damage even if you miss your primary target. You also have the ammo to take out quite a few guys in quick succession. With the JH, even if you kill the first guy with the burst, you cant fire again for a second or so, which means that you're geting shot without shooting back.

Surge+sweeper is also very effecive, as long as you have the jump on them.

To counter the Surge+HA, you must be willing to take some grief. The Thumper is extreamly effective at takeing these bastages down, but you're likely to hit some friendlies along the way(One of the reasons I can't get my grief below 500 lately).