PDA

View Full Version : How do I: Overclock GeForce FX 5900?

arctik
2003-10-20, 11:58 PM
I built a machine a few weeks ago and its pretty great.
1GB RAM
ABit OTES GeForce FX 5900 (128MB)
AMD Athlon 3000
and all I get is 70-102 fps in SANC! I hear all this talk about overclocking and I figure my video card can get way, way more FPS than it does. Can someone tell me how exactly to get this done?

Thanks in advance. :)

Lise
2003-10-21, 03:48 AM
Overclocking wouldn't help you too much. Excessive overclocking will literally make the silicon of your graphics card melt. You're better off making sure everything is installed right, checking your graphical settings, etc. etc. etc.

Daleon
2003-10-21, 08:06 AM
Heh, I would not suggest OC'ing 5900's. They aren't as badly pushed to their limits from the factory as the 5500's were, but they are still cranked pretty high. If the fan goes on the card, you more than likely wouldn't notice it, not until your screen went black and white and then just black.

But if you want to try it you can use Powerstrip. There is another I can't think of the name that is also pretty popular. Check some of the NVidiot site forums, they have plenty of details. Just start slow with small core clock and memory OC and work your way up in small increments. You usually have to do lots of reboots and run 3Dmark alot to find out if its stable or not.

arctik
2003-10-21, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I know something isnt right because my friend, with the same card gets almost 200+ FPS in Sanc.

Maybe I should have gotten an ATi RADEON 9800 pro?

Lise
2003-10-21, 02:33 PM
You put this machine together yourself, yes? If so, make sure the video setting in your BIOS are set correctly, you've got anti-aliasing and other things turned off, etc. etc.

Also, is your friend using "reccomended" settings or hitting the lowest settings possible?

NoSurrender
2003-10-22, 07:38 PM
personally i woulda gotten the 9800pro because the 5900 lost to a 9600pro in the HL2 demo benchmark... and dont overclock it for the reasons already stated...