PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Memory loss

Octavian
2003-11-18, 03:34 AM
I received Planetside today, installed it and was really excited to play it. I try clicking on Training, it says that it requires a card with 32.0MB or more. Apparently mine has 13.5MB. Last time I checked it was 32.0MB. Is there any way to get that memory back?

P.S. Accidentally posted this originally in the General forum. Silly me, forgot in all my frustration.

Rbstr
2003-11-18, 03:27 PM
What kind of card do you have? a 32 mb card will not run this thing to well

Octavian
2003-11-18, 03:31 PM
It's a Rage 128 Pro. Planetside supports all the Rage series as well.

Rbstr
2003-11-18, 09:19 PM
is that a dual GPU chip? if so you would have half the memory because the chips can't share the 32 mb's

NoSurrender
2003-11-18, 09:40 PM
Dude Nowonder. The Rage 128 Pro is crap thats below the original Radeon which wont even run PS very well. Oct you need a new video card.

Octavian
2003-11-18, 10:40 PM
Well Pyro, how come it happens to say that it supports Rage 128 Pro? So what? I'm not expecting great performance, just so as I can try it out.

irt Rbstr
No it isn't a dual GPU chip.

Rbstr
2003-11-19, 03:25 PM
ok, just a wild guess, i know ATI made one of those i just forgot what it was called.

Memory can go bad, by a transistor goin bad or static discharge or just being faulty in the first place. try getting the new drivers that may be the prooblem if you don't have newer ones because PS uses some dx9 stuff that your card whont supoort without the newer drivers

NoSurrender
2003-11-19, 09:10 PM
Rage is from P2 days something could have fried like rbstr said

Daleon
2003-11-19, 10:50 PM
The dual Rage chips were Rage MAXX's. Similar technology to some of the 4 chip R350 cards being used to make realistic graphic simulators. Would kill for one of those buggers.

Never really heard of just some ram of a video card going bad before. I would think if any of it went bad, the card would be pretty much dead. But anything is possible. Got any other way to check the video card, like powerstrip or something. More than likely though the card is way way to old to even be recognized properly by the game. Box minimum spec's rarely mean much, as its a toss up if it will actually run on those stats based on what kind of shape your computer is in.