PDA

View Full Version : New Comp/Connection

Searo
2003-12-20, 06:37 PM
Well, I just got my new computer put together.
I got a p4 2.66 with a 533 bus, a gig of PC2700 DDRAM, a Radeon 9600 with 256 RAM, and a 80 gig HD for about $750.

I also got a 17' monitor, Windows XP, a decent case, DVD-rom drive, Secondary CD-Drive, and a floppy drive.

My connection upgraded from a proxy server (which doesn't work with PS), to Ethernet (which does), so now I can play PS much better. However, my LINKSYS card is screwy, and my connection fails every ten minutes. I click Connect, and it recovers. a nuisance when browsing with IE, a catastrophe when patching PS.

Meh. I'll probably grab a new card and hope it works.

Daleon
2003-12-21, 12:58 AM
Nice upgrade. Thats some crazy problem. Never seen a network card drop like that. You sure its not something related to your connection? You don't use anything like PPPoE do you?

Rbstr
2003-12-21, 01:16 AM
Your network setup is confusing me, do you have cable or DSL running though an ethernet router, strait into the computer, or though a server then to yours, and it would be hard to connect to the severs though ethernet because of its limited range though the 10mbps would be very nice.

My cable modem got fed up somehow, and it keept droping and it was slower than 56k at times. We just got a new one from them and that fixed up the problem, we have 3 computers hooked to the modem though a router if thats how you have it you may want to call your provider.

Searo
2003-12-21, 10:52 AM
We have satellite running through the router to several computers. We recently got the Ethernet upgrade, which solves all the problems I had while using a proxy server.

But now, the LINKSYS PCI card in the back of my machine keeps losing the signal. It goes down, and I get a popup saying something like "View Connections" and I open that and click connect, and everything starts up again.

Naturally, if this happens while downloading a PS patch or playing an online game, everything dies. I'm pretty sure it's the card's problem, and not a network problem.

(Just my luck, while putting together my comp I got a bad mobo and monitor)

Rbstr
2003-12-21, 10:55 AM
does your Mobo have a built in ethernet? if it does try configurting that, if not, take a card out of another computer and put it in, if either of those work its the card, if not its the router, or your cabling

Daleon
2003-12-21, 11:46 AM
Satelite is not the best net connection for two way communication. And I'm still a little confused by this "ethernet" upgrade you mention.

Ethernet is a network standard of communication using either coaxial or twisted pair cable. The most widely used for of LAN communication, Ethernet typically runs at 10 megabytes per second, though newer systems use 100 Mbps, or ever gigabit of transfer.

This has nothing to do with your previous "proxy" server. A proxy server is just a dedicated machine that spits out ip's to the rest of your network for netconnection, the same thing a router does.

So, are any of the other machines in your network having this problem? Also the way you describe the error its like you've got some kind of dial up/net connection configured in your internet properties thats dropping after 10 mins of idle time. Which windows often confuses anything but web surfing as idle. Open up IE and look under Tools > Internet Options > Connections. Check to see if you have any configured there besides lan connections and see if you spot anything.

Searo
2003-12-21, 02:16 PM
All the other computers on the network are fine, and they have the exact same IE settings as mine.

I'm pretty sure it's just the card, so I'm just going to replace it.

Rbstr
2003-12-21, 05:41 PM
It sound liek a faulty card to me, or bad cabling

its not megabytes its megabits, so you get 1/8'th the speed noted if you switch it to bytes

Searo
2003-12-22, 01:31 PM
We reinstalled the drivers and turned the WEP encryption off, and now it's fine. The card was ok, but XP kept getting hung up or something.

Wierd.

Well, it's working OK now, and that's all that matters.