PDA

View Full Version : Dual Channeling Question

dscytherulez
2003-12-25, 08:11 PM
I'm planning on buying a gig stick of DDR PC2700 RAM, and i have 2 512 DDR PC2700 sticks dual channeled currently. If i had that will the dual channeling be elimated entirely or not?

NoSurrender
2003-12-25, 11:55 PM
im pretty sure it will be. but the performance boost is soo minor that i doubt youll notice it. Damn 2 gigs :) lucky SOB

dscytherulez
2003-12-26, 02:44 PM
I've been saving for a gig stick for a while. My friend's friend's dad works at computer place and can get me 2 gig sticks for like $200. 2.5 gigs is overkill though, so im just getting one. I have three slots so id have to remove one 512 stick anyway...

BTW - thanks pyro

Edit: How much of a boost do you think i will see from 1 gig to 2 gigs? I'm thinking it won't be extreme because 1 gig is basically a capping limit for dramatic increase, right?

NoSurrender
2003-12-26, 03:23 PM
you know im not exactly sure. id have to say that itll help with loading times dramaticaly though.

Rbstr
2003-12-27, 11:09 AM
It will help but its hard to say how much, but i would stick with the gig yuou have for now or go all out and buy 2 gig sticks and get the 512's out.
if you can get 2 gig sticks for $200 get those and ship the 512's to me, you won't need them, also it hurts preformance to have more than 2 slots filled (inculding 4 filled though it does dual channel)
3 sticks will not dual channnel.

dscytherulez
2003-12-27, 08:32 PM
also it hurts preformance to have more than 2 slots filled

ehhh...why?

Sentrosi
2003-12-27, 09:57 PM
Damn, make that a RAMdrive. Easily load up windows and most used apps quickly.

sandmtrailboss
2003-12-27, 10:15 PM
Heck , just install planetside to your ram =)

Ait'al
2003-12-28, 02:21 AM
You guys do know they used to make comps like that and super computers not that long ago 8\ Thats was the original point of ram! :rolleyes: Loading ram to load OS of a disk is how some of the first personal computers worked as i said above! Its a much better design if you can do it and isnt that expensive if you use smaller ram chips like they did alot before the 72 pin sims etc came out before the technology switched to the next chip as the major chip. you can buy some 256 512 ram for 50 bucks. it wouldnt be that expensive to builld a comp on 50-100 ram (If you bought cheap 1or 2 gig chips) if they mad the stuff for it. LIke i just said they use to do it and its far superior to the comps we have now!

If theyd just make cheap higher sized ram again you could build alot bigger really cheap. You just cant because teh companies arent doing that right now but its realy easy to switch!

And you comp is uploading planetside to your ram! It does everytime you play it. Thats because what i said before happended before hardrived existed and ram still is used the same way it was originally, they just have hardrives ot hold stuff while the power is off. thats why we need all the crap thats in our bios now to run our computers! :ugh: