PDA

View Full Version : Underclocking a GFX ....

BR3ACH
2004-01-09, 07:46 AM
If I choose to underclock my GFX slightly to improve on the temperature of my system has anyone ever heard of or come across any problems resulting from this?

Obviously I am expecting it to run the games slightly slower, but any major problems as a result?

Thanks for any replies ...

dscytherulez
2004-01-09, 08:51 AM
Wow, this is unprecedented. If you want to cool your system underclocking a vid card really won't help THAT much. Your talking about that laptop right? It probably would help a little, but I doubt that much. I don't see why any problems would come from this so I'd say it was pretty safe. Don't take my word on that though.

TheRagingGerbil
2004-01-09, 09:02 AM
You'd see a minimal drop in temperature, unless you have it overclocked that is.

You need to get one of these...

http://www.xoxide.com/noco.html

BR3ACH
2004-01-09, 09:28 AM
My laptop is to big for those tiny base fan things

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, but its not gonna help :/

Ill try to underclock it a litle just to get a couple of degrees drop in temperature without affecting perfomrance to much

Thanks again

Rbstr
2004-01-09, 03:37 PM
too big for those? man thats a bigun then. Why do you need the temp drop?
www.guru3d.com has ocing utilities but i do not know if they will work with a moblie system.

BR3ACH
2004-01-09, 03:43 PM
It is big yes...

I had major difficulty getting a case to fit it.

Its a 17" full TFT screen, not widescreen and the base is slightly bigger than the screen itself with little rubber feet to keep it raised of the deskp for cooling.

Its an awesome piece of kit, but accessories for it do seem a little difficult at the momment. But its a newish laptop so hopefully they will make more soon...

I allready have the core and memory adjusting software (RivaTuner) on the laptop, but am wondering if turning down the core will cause problems...

Seems like it wont, but ill research a little on the overclocking websites.

Rbstr
2004-01-09, 03:51 PM
no if riva tuner works then i see no problems, but don't turn it down to much becasue you would get crappy preformance. Also you don't need riva tuner, DL coolbits form that site and then you can OC from the videocard options page and you don't need the extra software (right click descktop, properties, settings. advanced, graphicscard name, if you didn't know)

BR3ACH
2004-01-09, 05:36 PM
I tried coolbits, but I couldnt manually alter the settings, just run the auto detect which is dodgy because it only goes on what is the current GFX temperature...

What do you have to do to get it to allow you to manually adjust the sliders?

Rbstr
2004-01-09, 05:44 PM
hmmm, i guess its the hac...er modified drivers* i use that alow manual sliding.

*StarStorm 53.03x's** if they work with the moblie stuff

** Disclaimer: Although they are hacked drivers they are legal (even though Nvidia wants you to think otherwise)