PDA

View Full Version : LD'ing w/ 2 routers

Tannim
2004-01-26, 05:04 PM
Ok, in the house I'm in We're using 2 4port routers to supply all the PCs and X-Boxes to the internet. The machine I play planetside from is on the second router.

INTERNET - ROUTER1 - ROUTER 2 - My Planetside PC.

I noticed that I go LD every 40 mins or so. I usually can click right in again but a few times I'd been flying a galaxy which auto-landed and left people stranded. So I want to *** this problem in the bud. In beta I found out that you could turn on port triggering for ranges 6000-9000 and this issue went away, but that was with a directly connected router. It doesn't seem to work with my current set up. I'm thinking that I need to DMZ the second router through the first. But before I do that, I want to make sure it's a port issue.

Anyone have a problem with "regular" LDs?

Rbstr
2004-01-26, 06:15 PM
it could be the two sets of NAT that mess it up but i'm not the networking guy around here

NoSurrender
2004-01-26, 09:38 PM
Well im not either but id make sure that the firmware is up to date.

Cyanide
2004-01-27, 11:44 AM
First, update the firmware just to be safe. Then go into the 2nd routher and make sure all of its NAT and other routing functions are disabled. If you can't get that to work you can always just replace the 2nd router with a cheap switch for like $30 and then sell the router on Ebay. From your descrption, there's really no reason for you to have 2 routers.

Switches: http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=30&DEPA=1

dscytherulez
2004-01-28, 04:54 PM
Well im not either but id make sure that the firmware is up to date.

:nod:

martyr
2004-01-28, 04:59 PM
definitely shut down nat on router 2. it's possible to run nested nats, but it's a colossal pain sometimes.

after that, try setting up static routes for yourself on router1.

556mmJay
2004-01-30, 10:48 AM
i had the same problem with my linksys router. Planetside UDP connections are initiated from the Planetside client port > 1023 to the Planetside servers on the following UDP port ranges: 45000-45010, 30000-30500. just open up the following ports because the ports change from time to time. After i did that everything works fine. ( btw i use to get disconnected every like 15-30 mins. hope that helps.

P.S Ditch the 2nd router and get a switch as said above.. If you dont want to do that, set one of them up as a just a gateway and not a router.