PDA

View Full Version : Burster Max

Destroyeron
2004-01-29, 09:14 PM
Lately I've been hearing more people complain about the burster max. They say its inaccurate and almost impossible to track high flying enemy aircraft. I don't know, but I blow the living crap out of liberators and gals that are at the edge of my vision (and closer of course.)

Does everyone think they're so hard to kill air with? Or Do i just have mad 1337 skillz with it?

:P :P :P

Biohazzard56
2004-01-29, 09:16 PM
Those two mentioned aircraft (especially the gal) are massive when compaired to Mosqs and Reavers. Thats just my opinon, i could be wrong and you might have "l33t" skills :brow:

dscytherulez
2004-01-29, 09:25 PM
I :love: teh burster!

HawkEye
2004-01-29, 09:53 PM
i think it depends on who is using it. if u know what ur doing and know how to use burster max u can pwn all aircraft. i get pwned by burster max all the time., but that cuold be cuz i cant fly good.

00AgentDuck
2004-01-29, 09:59 PM
The burster is awesome. One day I had around 3 engineers behind me and I blasted the crap out of any enemy that would take one step into our tower. We were being overun and I enemies would occasionally sneak in to shot a decimator at me, but through all of the explosions I created they could only land one on me at a time before I was repaired. I ended up in the end running out of ammo and died trying to run to get some more. The only bad thing was that when I did this I somehow I was getting a boat load of greif even though I wasn't hitting any friendlies. I ended up with 800 some grief that I think came from the large AOE. And since I was shooting towards the door I think the friendly door lock panel was giving me all this grief (don't know if you can get grief from these but I know at least you can get grief from shooting friendly terminals). Stick with the burster, it owns.

Rbstr
2004-01-29, 10:04 PM
On my TR alt that i use to test things, i was nailing all sorts of flying things, and it also did decent AI/AV damage

GreyFlcn
2004-01-29, 10:06 PM
Nerf the ground explosions on the burster and I'd gladly see a 50% speed increase on it's shot travel speed. :D

KIAsan
2004-01-29, 10:23 PM
Most people do good at lower flying targets. Libs at altitude, especially on conts where they have a great height advantage, are another story. Yes, they are possible to kill, but, they have enough armor to withstand a direct hit by a full clip. They also have the ability to outfly your range. If the pilot doesn't slow down, then he is even more difficult to kill (because he will leave your range very quickly. I personnaly like the burster as is, and don't want the devs going anywhere near it with their nerf bat.

Morrik
2004-01-29, 11:19 PM
You should test the radius of the explosion. The little projectiles will explode pretty far away from the aircraft. Even when they explode at maximum distance, they still do a fair amount of damage.

KIAsan
2004-01-29, 11:46 PM
I have used the burster for quite a while (with a fair number of kills). No complaints, other than high flying libs. It may be just me, but when I flew libs (for both TR and NC), my basic lib experience was as follows (this is vs AA max, not other aircraft):

Against VS = dead lib
Against NC = dead lib
Against TR = empty bomb rack and RTB

I had the same result as a AA max (I have used all three empires):

As VS = dead lib
As NC = dead lib
As TR = Lib returning to base after dropping all his bombs.

But as I said, your mileage may vary.

HawkEye
2004-01-29, 11:50 PM
lol VS AA MAX pwns reavers and skeeters.

flypengy
2004-01-30, 12:37 AM
Besides the flail. The burster is the worst thing in this game. As TR I'm constantly taking friendly fire, and as NC they are nothing more than a nuisance that do a better job of shooting around corners than the pounder.

Renegarde
2004-01-30, 12:54 AM
Next to the Lightning, the Burster is my absolute favorite weapon. Couple it with Advanced Targetting and a cliff overlooking a base, and you can own any nearby aircraft and pick off weakened infantry.

My favorite tactic is getting a perfect view of a Vanu vehicle pad (preferably directly behind it) and raping any aircraft that tries to spawn from it before (or shortly after) they even gain control of their plane. Unfortunately, this teactic doesn't work too well against the NC =P

UncleDynamite
2004-01-30, 01:25 AM
Bursters spamming bases can indeed be problematic for infantry trying to move in and assault the base, but I'd say that this problem only shows up for a small part of the entire battle. Hitting Liberators at the flight ceiling, however, is something I have yet to master. I typically only see results if I have a whole bunch of Bursters spraying the sky with me, though that's probably a good tactic in the first place. All in all, the Burster is fine. Not exactly a weapon that you can pick up and kill crap with, but some practice time will make any player shoot decently with it.

Otherick
2004-01-30, 03:44 AM
I think its fine, no n3rf or buff needed for this air dominator

gonnagetyou
2004-01-30, 12:58 PM
The Burster is a great MAX. The problem with hitting high flying aircraft is you need to lead them as it takes your projectiles some time to get there. This is confounded by the fact that at that alttitude you can't actually see your shells explode sometimes. You could be doing damage and not even know it. It just takes a lot of practice and trial and error to figure it all out.

Next to the Starfire, the Burster is my next favorite AA MAX.

Jagd
2004-01-30, 01:02 PM
The area of effect on the Burster is frigging huge. If you are using it indoors you will for surely get grief out of the deal. What kind of moron sits there watching grief scroll by thinking to himself "must be a bug, because I'm not hitting anyone". The splash damage fills an entire fricking spawn room, so stop using it inside friendly towers. Thanks!

Acaila
2004-01-30, 02:22 PM
The Burster is a great MAX, my favourite MAX in the game and the only one I use, I have no MAX certs on my NC or VS chars. I just wish TR would stop bringing it inside, it indiscriminately damages everyone and is a big pain in the ass. It rips aircraft a new asshole very effectively after a bit of practice and I believe all the complaints about it stem from people who don't know how to use their equipment. TR would have absolutely no problems dealing with air if everyone who parades around in a Burster realised that it is an AA MAX, not a long range AI/AV tickle cannon. Not that it isn't also the best long range AI device in the game aswell (it is better than a Bolt Driver), it is just better at AA.

Neon Apocalypse
2004-01-30, 03:09 PM
people shouldnt complain because burster will rip any aircraft to shreds very quickly

MilitantB0B
2004-01-30, 04:54 PM
No "missle lock" warning=teh win

It is my favorite AA MAX. I alwasy hated seeing aircraft afterburnner off after I got a lock, but most inexperinced pilots assume that anything hitting them that isn't locking on is small arms fire and ignore it or try to outmanuver it, both end in a dead pilot. ;)

Morrik
2004-01-30, 07:43 PM
i really dont understand y ppl complain obut it! i get more kills with that than i do with the vanus aa max! as all the enemy hav to do is fly real fast away from the vanus or nc

Not everybody has refined skills and it takes some time to master any fact/part of the game. The Buster config is great if somebody knows how to use it effectively. I believe the abillity to mount a MAX unit (TR only) makes them all the more valuable. Basically a mobile turret.

KIAsan
2004-02-01, 04:11 PM
"you don't have the skill" or "you need to lead the target" or "you need to learn the equipment"

These are all lame counters to a discussion about a weapons flaws. Fact, bursters stink against high alt targets (like the lib), especially when there is a significant altitude difference. If you give me one of the above arguments, then fine, lets meet up next weekend on Markov. I will get a lib, you get a burster, I will go to flight ceiling, and then lets see your "skill" in action. You WONT kill me because a lone burster CANT kill a lib at altitude UNLESS the lib STOPS his plane and goes afk for a minute of two.

Now, PLEASE NOTE: I DID NOT say that the burster is unbalanced. It is a perfect weapon EXACTLY the way it is. I hate the fact that it stinks against libs, but if I could shoot down a lib at altitude, like I own mossies and reavers that are lower, then noone could fly against TR and it would be TOO powerful.

As to NC and VS AA, they are fine (except for the lock bug) as they are. They CAN hit a target at ANY flight level (since they have a lock), however, they fire slower than a burster. BUT, if we tried the above challenge with these two AA maxes, I would not live to drop all my bombs (because they would eventually kill me).

Jagd
2004-02-01, 04:40 PM
If a Liberator pilot is smart enough to fly at flight ceiling (like most good ones) then he should have some protection from ground fire. 2 or 3 players are up there having spent some time regrouping and travelling, 1 player shouldn't be able to take them down so easily, be it an Air Cavalry pilot or an AA MAX.

Queensidecastle
2004-02-01, 04:47 PM
The Burster totally rocks. However when I am in the field I can see so many Bursters that dont have a fucking clue how to hit aircraft. Its just sad. The other day I got a skyguard and had this guy jump in and try to gun it. He never killed anything and reavers were as dense as a cloud of bees, it was friken pathetic. I didnt want to be a dick and kick him out so I just ran over a minefield to make the pain stop

Visor
2004-02-01, 05:17 PM
I had a worse expirience a gunner was trying to kill a reaver with the 12mm instead of the flak i send him a tell "WTF use the flak" and he replied "12mm kills them faster"
This was before the christmas n00b hunt.