PDA

View Full Version : New proccessor?

Ait'al
2004-02-03, 12:13 AM
Whos got dibs on the 3.4c. What did they make it out of? Is it a squeezed 3.2 or the low end of a new chip? Dont bitch but has anyone read about any overclocking on it?

Edit: I dont know if anyone knows but today the 3.2 was on sale for 289 on www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/). I dont know if this is for today or was "yesterday today". Its 1:09am right now. If not get it cheap. I dont know how much the sale is deducing from the normal new price. The 3.4 is now 419 which is lesss than the 3.2 was a few weeks ago.

Nm, there both on sale right now and the 3.2 is 283$ untill 2/3/04 4:00PM today. The 3.4c is also 419$ till this time.

GreyFox
2004-02-03, 01:09 AM
The 3.4 Ghz is of a new Core I believe. The Intel Prescott core. It has a longer pipeline then the Northwood core.

I've heard that it's not as good as Northwood on the same frequenzy, but it makes possible for higher frequenzies.

EDIT: Btw, are you talking about a Celeron?

Ait'al
2004-02-03, 01:39 AM
EDIT: Btw, are you talking about a Celeron?rofloma ^^ you know i dont know. Let me look. I smack my self now. wow i didnt think of that. It was labeled the P4 3.4C. (im not being sarcastic it just struck me so quick.) Do you mean the C in the name or the sale?

Does intel label all the celrons with c after teh name? some of htem dont have it?

It has the 3.4 with northwood core?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-164&catalog=343&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-168&catalog=343&depa=1

Daleon
2004-02-03, 10:09 AM
All the P4's with C's are 800mhz Northwood cores. The new Prescott's are E's. I think the 3.4 will be the last Northwood core. Check this article for about the best CPU comparision I've seen in quite a while

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/prescott-tests.html

I also trust xbit quite a bit more than THG. It shows the Precott's are not anything special, just new cores that will let intel crank of up the mhz for the coming year. But performance to price AMD is still kicking it.

Ait'al
2004-02-03, 12:20 PM
Edit: it didnt come out! 8)

So What is better and what does each of those mean. Like Which is better more transistors or less etc. Can you give me a very breif idea or opionion of both. As in regards to the Product tecnology(strained silicon to none,especilay in the intel ones), nUmber of transistors, and die size. You can do the others if your in hte mood though.

The above graph may not come out. Im refering to the graph at the end of daleons link.

How much of a perfomance leap will there be in those areas that review saw as weak in the prescots when they come out with the larger versions? Anyone think it will have a sudden performance boost in all as they increase certain perameters on the proccessor, could they possible get rid of the time delays with the 90nm?

Cyanide
2004-02-03, 01:36 PM
The 3.4 Ghz is of a new Core I believe. The Intel Prescott core. It has a longer pipeline then the Northwood core.

I've heard that it's not as good as Northwood on the same frequenzy, but it makes possible for higher frequenzies.

EDIT: Btw, are you talking about a Celeron?

Man, intel must be trying to get out of the business workstation market. The P4 had a 20 segment pipeline and now prescott's is even longer. Longer pipeline = The suck for business apps. That's why Athlons do much better in stuff like CAD. They only have a 7 segment pipe.

Ait'al
2004-02-03, 01:39 PM
Could the increase in speed remove the problem with it though. Lets say you cranked the prescott 3.4 to like 3.8 would it make those bad areas dissapear and/or imporove? Could part of the problem be that its on too low of a frequency for the archictecture? And that the problems would disapear completely if you cranked it up really high, or as the higher versions cam out? and remember the 3.4E(prescott) was not the actual prescot in that reveiw it was the 3.2E cranked up. What difference should that have made?

Rbstr
2004-02-03, 05:14 PM
www.anandtech.com, click on the presscott review and ready it you will be enlitened!

To my knowedge the only 3.4's will Be Extreme Edition (aka Expensive Edition) and ones with the Presscott core but i might have over looked it.

Also prescotts are a waste of time untill they are going more than 3.6 or so Ghz (read the anandtech thing i beg of you, all of it)

No more post untill its has been read to prevent stupidity and misleading info

Ait'al
2004-02-03, 11:12 PM
So do you think the prescott will not have problems where its lacking after you crank up the speed? Im thinking it may be good to get the 3.4E now and oc it to 3.6 or 3.7 if its possible. Especially since that aerocool HSF says its designed for 3.6 and up. Maybe i can run some benchmarks of my own then and post them here. 8)

Edit: ok the prescott is hot as hell! 8(

Ok do you think its possible to oc the 3.4C to 3.6 and up? I dont htink i can handle the heat from the prescott. Ill do my next desktop with it and the 775 with an all WC system. This one is going to be my everything crammed into system. ;) Or do you all think it better to just get the 3.4 prescott for and oc it. Im definitely going to oc stuff. IM getting a WC stuff for part of it anyway. MY next system will be more pure 8)

And remember before you say, OC!!GGRRR lol this is for a few years from now to use for certain types of applications etc when the stakes are higher 8) im thinking what will it do for 2 years from now without modifying it anymore than i plan to now.

And with what weve known for a while as a want of Intel to use WC systems normally What will the freakish OC design im expecting and you probably thought of as the possible new edge for intel with the PCIX and 775 design do to the amd intell fight? Im guessing Amd wont be able to touch the ocing performance the prescotts may have.
Edit: http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1943 Pics of the Tejas? ;) And socket 775

FYI finnaly finished rbstrs one reveiw, after having read one of hte sites other ones on the prescott first, and one or two of the other ones from daleons linked site at 5:00 last night. 8d FYI again, ONe of the newegg reveiws said someone got the northwood 3.2 to 3.9 stable. And obviously anadtech said 3.8 for the prescott easy soo.. Was that the 3.2 or the 3.4 prescott they did OCinfo for specifically? That kinda took care of some of the cache speed problem. Hoping the catchup speeds arelower than they estimated. (Estimated 4.0 to get latency to 2.8E and 5.0 to 3.2E, but it was an estimate.*crosses fingers*)

Ok, the prescotts are not so hot you cant use them 8) you just neeed more than stock from what ive read. Thre will be 3.4C, 3.4EE(northwood, as in C), 2.8E, 3.0E, 3.2E, 3.4E, end 478 socket type and 3.4 will be the last northwood either way and no EEs will be made for the prescott or in that case the 775 board or anything else ever again basically, or untill they use it in a future situation with future processors :brow:. The next one will come out with the intro of the 775 and will have the 3.6 inQ2, 3.8 Q3, and 4.0 Q4. Though the 3.2/3.4 presscotts can get 4.0 easy now with ocing. Remember though the 3.6 and up will be different socket. And as i said the northwoods are completely released now. The last EE is out now and theres nothing but prescotts in the future till tejas 8). in like 2 years ;) they will be probably adding massive improvements and new whatevers on the proccessor since the 478 and all below 4.0 prescotts are basically under powered. wich then again equals free ocing power for now untill they get the new ones out, but they wont have the future stuff theyll add to the presctts in the next few months to a year etc. But no one knows when that wil be or it it will even be for another year possibly or with the 775 stuff and pcix whenever that stuff comes out.

Rbstr
2004-02-04, 04:14 PM
Ait you sound so excited aoubt somehting when your talking you go all disjuncted. I would not OC the P4e 3.2 to 3.6 i would wait for the 775 3.6/4.0 and not owrry aout the heat.

This is basicaly because the 478's are going to be gone in just 2 quarters.

Also it is NOT PCI-X its PCI Express they are very different. (PCI-X is used for server/workstation applicatons and has been around for a while)

Ait'al
2004-02-04, 05:18 PM
Oh, I edited that 50 times since last night. lol

IM OCing it and need to know wether the Prescott is going to be Overclockable. I keep hearing mixed comments about its Ocing ability. Do you have any ideas. THG said its badly overclockable and i have no fucking idea if thats good or bad. Someone else said 3.8 with ease, on basic HSF i think. ( i think it was anandtech or whatever there called.) and daleons link said in between i think but wasnt sure cause of your stuff for geting rid of heat. And then theres the guys on new egg saying the Northwood did 3.9 wit cooberating stories about it with adjacent things about the prescott Ocing like a bitch to mid 4 ghz. One was 4.3 something. but it was the 3.2 Prescott with some locks removed i think, possibly. If not it was the 3.4, if it even makes any differnce. I wondering if it was the boards they were all using.

Ok, what im getting at..... Any opinions?

And ok, PCI ex. I was shortening hte express to an x. And there's a much simpler way of saying it now ;)

And I AM exited :bouncy: the time to get my comp is finnaly comming. Ive been techically waiting for about 3 years. I can smell it. IM so close i may not get to a bank in time to direct deposit the money. :bouncy: <------ Once again, my favorite smiley!!!!

Edit: And check this nifty little gadget out 8d http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=KM_ZEN_KVM3004 Im geting one to hook up keyboard and moniter/tvs to the xbox computer etc at once :nod:
Oh and i downgraded to a single 1024 twinx3200llpro untill the appropriate 2048s come out whenever at lower speeds and ill jump then to 4 gigs, if anyone cares :D

And i want a 32 bit system for now. IM going to build a 775 Pci ex etc system with all watercooling in like a year or whenever i have the money when the 64 stuff is out. right now i need to cover compatability of older stuff with ability to run newer stuff, and i dont currently have a 32 system i own. Last is only 16 bit ^^ IVe been using family comps to long. Wait the P1 might be 32 bit :lol: I also want to emulate systems with this and stuff for systems i dont have physically for running slightly older stuff. basically P2-current 32bit, and earlier for fun even though i have the systems physically. Im going to get a multiple OS thing and run most of the previous versions of windows later with some later added Hardrives as like a time machine. ;) Maybe linux too.

Rbstr
2004-02-04, 07:27 PM
get a P4c 3.2 or wait for the 775 Presscots, the 478 presscots are not very wise purchases at this point.

dont bother with a KVM switch get a TV tuner card.

DOnt bother with the 1g sticks it has crapy timeings as realy won't do much for you

Ait'al
2004-02-04, 10:15 PM
The KVM is mainly for the keyboard and mouse so i can hook it up to an xbox and playstaion. and later for 3 12 year old computers as a space saver. Im probly going to get a tv tuner anyway. :confused: I know what the prescott is. All i dont know is how well it will OC? IM doing it on a P4C800-E. So it should be compatable from what i read. Like i said several different reveiws have said they do differently.(website reveiws not the newegg customerone.) Two of which said differnt things about ocing but both said they did it. so what do you think it will do?

And 1024 twinx is (2x512) its cheap and im getting till the better 2048 comes out later in pro and with better lattency mabey. Which will mean cheaper main product anyway so.....

Rbstr
2004-02-04, 10:29 PM
The chip runs very hot but if you can conter that, it should clock up almost like none other, 4ghz and above with very good aircooling/wcing, you would probably run into Mobo/memory limitations before you can put the CPU all the way to its limit

Ait'al
2004-02-04, 10:46 PM
I cant OC with the memory and CPU at different speeds? Or doesnt one of the setting let you change in a way that it doesnt affect the bus speed for part of it?

Oh and you know that areocool thing. I think you put liquid in it. IM going to check and see if you can. And if you do im going to see if theres a way to Hook it up ot water cooling. its basically the techonogy of the N2 cooling guide that did 5ghz with the northwood i think. So maybe i can use it like a high contact cpu cooler. IF you can do it i want to treat it like a high flow version of those glass tube reseviors im getting. If it says you can use water in the stuff that comes with it. Ill get enough to take the heat off it even if it doesnt work that way.

:doh::doh::doh:

Edit: if not then ill go WC on the processor too and i can sell some of it you you guys if you want 8) You know i only buy retail so itll be damn new. Ill throw in the two tornadoes cheap too. :D

Rbstr
2004-02-05, 07:37 AM
No you can WC that Areo cool thing, but it does have liquid in it. You see that tub in the middle is called a heat pipe, many VGA coolers and Sff systems use them. They are basialcy small tubes filled with a liquid that rapidly evaporates and condenses cousing heat to be transported though it (some is also lost in the pipe itself), that means more effective cooling becasue more heat is moved to the top of the fins were it will cool faster