PDA

View Full Version : how to enhance system to get rid of lag

undetected
2004-02-03, 08:16 PM
now how do i do this...
i was playing PS and someone in my outfit said that they learned how to
make their system more powerful or something to speed up PS... and he said it got rid of a consideral amount of lag! how would i do this?

Cyanide
2004-02-03, 09:14 PM
You could ask him what he did...

Rbstr
2004-02-03, 09:15 PM
yeah...

undetected
2004-02-03, 10:26 PM
well he said it "was too complicated and a grueling process and he didnt remember.... cmon help me out

Rbstr
2004-02-03, 10:36 PM
well we have no idea at all, he was probably just saying that to make him look smart or something, most people remember what they do, if they did something that was extensive and complicated.

Generaly when people say i can't remamber and they just did it a little while ago they are lieing, or exagerating.

The only long grueling thing i can thing of that would make a drastic change would be replacing the parts in your computer with better ones

Cyanide
2004-02-03, 11:02 PM
"was too complicated and a grueling process and he didnt remember"

Sounds like he's full of shit to me. Like Rbstr said, nobody makes serious tweaks to their system and then doesn't remember what they did.

We can't really help you because you've provided us with 0 information to work with. We don't know anything about your computer, we don't know anything about his computer, we don't even know if what he did was hardware related or software related.

Try searching google for something like "PC performance tweaks" or something along those lines. I'm sure you'll find plenty if you just look around.

Daleon
2004-02-04, 08:01 AM
He prolly just fixed problems he had with his system. General stuff like bios adjustments, driver updates, memory and page file adjustments, etc. If so you can't really do what he did as your computer is prolly quite a bit different from his.

GreyFox
2004-02-04, 10:22 AM
Or maybe he went through that Guide of what servives you can turn off in windows for a gaming profile, etc?

Rbstr
2004-02-04, 04:16 PM
that could be it, but i think he would have said if that was the case

undetected
2004-02-05, 09:30 AM
well i turned off all of the video settings and it was better... ( i didnt know that the tr had a whole nother color scheme;)) .... and i think that was it, the survives and stuff

GreyFox
2004-02-05, 09:49 AM
Well maybe it was to Delete the PSClient.ext REGISTRY?

I heard that would give you 10-20 extra fps.

Rbstr
2004-02-05, 10:04 AM
Yeah i tried that it didn't do anything noticable, but i was only in the sanc for a short time thats all the testing i was able to do. I guess i recomend everyone to do it for hopes it will do more for them, it doen't hurt anything

undetected
2004-02-05, 07:14 PM
whatever im all good now

cloudj110589
2004-02-07, 06:19 PM
where is teh PSClient.ext registry located? thanks

GreyFox
2004-02-07, 06:48 PM
Open up RegEdit (by going to RUN; and typ in regedit and press enter), then go to the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->App Paths->

And there you should find the PSClient.exe folder, delete that.

TheRagingGerbil
2004-02-09, 01:14 AM
I fixed every single one of my problems today. Went from a packet loss of 5+, FPS of ~80-100, and a downstream always way in the red to 0.1 packet loss, FPS of 150+, and downstream bouncing green/yellow.

You know what I did today?

c:\format c:

Yup, clean install of Windows XP PRO. Installed all of the newest drivers. Now my baby is back running like a dream. I think the problem was just a years worth of driver updates and Planetside updates. With both of those I think they always leave a little bit of the crap from the old files behind. These build up after a while and start hosing your system.

If all else fails, format and reinstall. Worked for me.

omegice
2004-02-10, 09:48 AM
i noticed the exact same thing, i somehow managed to screw up my computer trying to get some new drivers so i reformated it and reinstalled windows, with the proper drivers for my graphics card i can now run at 8x agp and when i ran planetside it ran like a dream, before i was getting at maximum 30fps outside with noone around now i get depending on how many trees and stuff from 60fps to 90fps, this has allowed me to actualy win fights more often and not jeark about so much, if anyone is having problems with fps i definatly recommend this if it has been a long time since it has been done.