PDA

View Full Version : Don't know the kind of RAM a friend has.

SilverLord
2004-03-02, 09:32 AM
My friend was looking to purchase some RAM off the internet.

We are confused on what kind he has because me and my dad built it for him but apparently we cannot find the manual for the mobo we got for it.

Now, is there anyway I can find out what he has without prying open the case and looking?

Phaelon
2004-03-02, 09:40 AM
If you can find it, there is a program called Belarc, it finds out everything about a computer it is operating on, otherwise ....

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System tools -> System Information

it will give you detailed information about your computer, and it will give you model numbers of your MB and chipset features and numbers. Then you can use the numbers and search for them online.

SilverLord
2004-03-02, 09:56 AM
Thanks man.

SilverLord
2004-03-03, 08:59 PM
I just tried this program and it only gives me what amounts are in what slot.

I need to know the type of RAM he has, like DDR, RD, or SD...and all that good stuff.

dscytherulez
2004-03-03, 09:01 PM
This won't give a definate answer, but it could help, how old is the comp?

Edit: http://www.simg.de/ramtest.e.html

Thats a program that might work, but I haven't tested it so use at your own risk.

SilverLord
2004-03-03, 09:18 PM
The comp is new and is made by Gigabyte.

Me and my dad made it and lost the manual...

Phaelon
2004-03-03, 09:33 PM
OKay, i re-iterrate again,

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information

On System summary, there will be TWO sections, System Model and System Manufacturer.

Those two will tell you the model/chipset of your MB. Then go to google.com and either search for it there, or go to INtels site of your MB manufacturers website.

Belarc gives you the model number, and from there you can find out . . . =p

dscytherulez
2004-03-03, 09:49 PM
It's more than likely DDR since it's new. I tried your way phaelon but got absolutely no info on my mobo other than its an NVIDIA, which really doesn't help. I know mine is an NFORCE2, but it won't help silver any if it doesn't give you exactly what he needs. The system information utility is a bit inconstant, especially on different PC's.

Edit: Just open the case and look at the ram. If it has 2 notches it is SDRAM if it has just 1 it is DDR. I doubt it is RDRAM. If it is RDRAM it will also have 2 notches, but they will be close together in the center. On SDRAM one notch is at the edge and one is in the middle.

Phaelon
2004-03-03, 10:06 PM
Bahh down with you crazy people, here you go.
14 Day free shareware version, download it and it will tell you exactly what you have and need.

http://www.hwinfo.com/

Download the 32 bit one for Windows XP/2000

Peace!

Skinnerer
2004-03-04, 06:36 AM
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php

It has links to the manufacturer's sites, and shows everything down to the component details.

And the best bit:
"For personal use: AIDA32 is a FREEWARE application, so it's free to distribute and use for any non-business purposes."

SilverLord
2004-03-04, 04:36 PM
I'll try those in a bit guys, thx. :p