PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problems... again... I have no Idea why this happens :(

GreyFox
2004-03-02, 04:33 PM
Ok, here's my problem... When I use both my 512 Mb Ram Sticks, the memory fails or something so when I play a game like planetside it will crash after a while.

I've figured out it was the memory by running a memory test program.

So when I use both sticks I get a fault at higher adresses then 1000mb.
When I test one of the sticks on one of the Slots, I get errors. If I try the other Ram stick on the same slot, I get the same errors...

BUT, if I try the memory sticks on the other slot, I get NO errors...

I had the same error on the same kind of motherboard recently, and I sent it in for a replacement, and now I got it today and DAMN! the same error :(

I don't know if it is a broken slot, I don't think it is now... but what can it be? It doesn't seem to be the Ram sticks either... what could it be? :huh:

GreyFox
2004-03-02, 04:43 PM
Here's my specs:

Shuttle SN45G Aluminium
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2x TwinMOS Original 512Mb DDR-DIMM PC3200/DDR400 184pin 400MHz CAS2.5
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb

Sokko
2004-03-02, 04:55 PM
Your RAM always works in one slot and never works in another. Therefore, it's 100% definitely a motherboard problem. If you already got a replacement, that points to a general defect in the board series and you should probably get a new one if possible. Make sure that the guy who replaced it didn't just send you back your old one; if you show them the "proof", they'll probably admit it. :D

GreyFox
2004-03-02, 05:04 PM
It's not the old one, and I don't think it is the slot that is the problem anymore... it can't be twice in a row. I'm investigating other possibilites.

dscytherulez
2004-03-02, 07:12 PM
I'd have to agree with Sokko that it is your mobo. I can't think of anything else that would be causing this. You might want to try getting another really cheap mobo and replace the one you currently have and see what happens.

One other thing you might try is updating your mobo drivers. I doubt that will make any difference whatsoever, but you might as well give it a try.

GreyFox
2004-03-02, 07:36 PM
I can't get a new mobo, it comes with the shuttle... I have to replace the entire chassi.

Anyways, I've tried flashing the bios with latest version, and changing some settings, but nothing worked...

And I don't feel like sending it back, but if I must I must... another 2 week or more waiting period then :(

DAMN! :( --- I feel like crying...

Gonna update the chipset drivers tomorrow. Now I gotta sleep...

Phaelon
2004-03-03, 07:36 AM
First off, don't think it is only your MB, you need to try other ram, that ram might not be compatible with your Motherboard. While your motherboard works fine with them in the one slot, the other slot might not be able to adjust to that type of memory in a single or dual capacity.

Update MB bios, try different memory, if the problem still exists then it is something dealing with your motherboard, however if you try other memory and it works fine, they it deals with the compatability of the memory you have and the MB.

My other question would be what OS are you running? If you are running windows 98 I slap you!

GreyFox
2004-03-03, 07:53 AM
I updated the bios to the latest version.

And I got Win XP.

Phaelon
2004-03-03, 09:16 AM
Hmm, either try the memory in another motherboard or try different memory in your motherboard to be entirely sure.

Did you email your Motherboard makers yet? If you have now had this problem twice in a row, there may be an incompatiblity that needs to be brought up.

GreyFox
2004-03-04, 01:12 PM
There seems to be nothing wrong with the Motherboard, but the TwinMOS ram is incompatible with it... It seems.

But now I got a new problem... gonna post a new thread about it. Find it here (http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?p=334570#post334570).