PDA

View Full Version : Need help on new PC

Vitter
2004-03-14, 01:46 PM
Ok, i'm building a PC with some part i've been collecting for a while.

I started out with a good harddrive, CD/ROM, sound card (Audigy Live), and video card (AIW 256mb Radeon 9800).

So basically, all I needed to get was a motherboard, processor, and RAM.

After careful consideration I decided to get the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB which is being hailed as like the best freaking thing on the market.

Then, to go along with the 800 FSB w/ hyperthreading on the motherboard I got a 2.8 Ghz P4C w 800FSB and HT.

My choice of RAM, however, has me wondering. When I first looked at RAM i thought that I should get 2 dual channel 512mb (1gb) DDR400 PC3200 chips with low latency speeds.

My primary choice was the following: OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kits 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-883&depa=1). I liked it due to the dual channel capabilities and the low latency.

However, my friend convinced me to get OCZ Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Gold 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-934&depa=1). He said that not only is it more powerful but it can be easily tweaked (overclocked) down to 2-2-2-5. As you can see on one of the reviews their is a testimonial of someone doing this w 28.5 voltage.

The problem? I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO OVERCLOCK AND MY FRIEND IS IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STATE!
So... what the hell am I going to do? Should I return the memory or keep the stuff I got and overclock it with online guides (which I haven't been able to find).

martyr
2004-03-14, 02:19 PM
1. don't overclock.
2. remember, planetside doesn't support hyperthreading
3. 256mb video ram doesn't help you unless your resolution > 1600x1200

Vitter
2004-03-14, 03:34 PM
Ok, why? And if i'm not should I not have gotten that RAM?

I don't play PS, i just like the forum.

The video card was a gift.

Sentrosi
2004-03-14, 06:33 PM
When buying a really good system, which it seems you're putting together, the quality of the RAM is always paramount. I always suggest two companies, Crucial and Mushkin. Both are highly reliable and offer excellent customer service.

OCZ has been known to provide less than good results on numerous benchmarks.

All that firepower, and you whore forums? Dude, get a PIII 450 w/ 256Mb SDRAM and a 16Mb video card and you'll pwn the forums! *LOL*

Vitter
2004-03-14, 06:46 PM
Sentrosi i just checked my email and NewEgg has already shipped me the RAM.

When it gets here will you help me tweak it for better timings? I'm thinking if I can get it down to 2-2-2-5 latency it'll be some great memory.

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about overcloking except what i've read in some guides made 4 years ago.

Electrofreak
2004-03-14, 11:26 PM
OCing isnt as difficult as people often make it out to be. I suggest browsing forums at places like amdmb.com (even though its an AMD-based site, go to their memory forum, OCing mem is pretty much the same between intel and AMD) or guru3d.com, and just poking around the memory forums. Don't be afraid to post a thread asking for help either. A lot of very smart people hang around those forums and can help you turn your machine into a speed demon!

PS: There are also a lot of software applications out there that will help you OC efficiently and safely. Again, if you like poking around forums then you can be an OCing master in no time!