PDA

View Full Version : Memory in Windows XP - Nice!

Phaelon
2004-03-16, 11:16 PM
I just cranked a Machine i will be using to build an arcade emulator with full enclosure down to 67 MB on windows XP. I disabled numerous services and freed up lots of hidden attributes. Tomorrow I am going to free up some more and disable some more services. I think I can get it to around 50 MB being used.

www.blackviper.com has a great walkthrough on what some of the services do and how they affect a system.

Note : for your gaming machine, you would be around 80 to 90 MB used because you need a few other things.

Electrofreak
2004-03-17, 09:13 AM
Interesting material. I'll have to fool around with my Windows a bit it seems...

GreyFox
2004-03-17, 09:43 AM
Yup, done that :)

Needs to be done on this 512 mb machine ;)

And I also turn of Exlorer.exe and some other processes before I play.

teratravp
2004-03-17, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I've used his tweaks before and can verify the boost in performance will be very cool. Just be careful what you use, don't shut off system restore.

Phaelon
2004-03-17, 03:19 PM
I have been using his site for about 4 years now. Every machine I make for friends I generally use his guides to make sure my friends have an "enjoyable" experience in the computer field.

I always turn off system restore, it is pointless and takes up way to much extra memory. I have back up systems that cover my data if there is any.