PDA

View Full Version : New computer problems..Counts to 1050 Mhz+wants me to change it in bios+SuddenShutdwn

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 09:21 AM
I finally got my new case, and by borrowing a mobo and processor fan (which are both practically unused) from a friend, I built my computer yesterday.

Here is the specs:

Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard
Thermaltake Volcano 11 Processor Fan
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1Ghz)
1Gb PC3200 TwinMos RAM @400Mhz
ATi Radeon 9600XT 256 Mb.

Here's what it does. I boot it up, and it counts the Processor speed and RAM amount, and it says the processor speed is at 1050 Mhz, and it gives me a message saying that the computer wasn't turned off correctly last time, and that I need to change the processor speed in the Bios.

So I enter the bios setup, and the FSB is at 200 Mhz, as it should, and the Multiplier is at 10.5, as it should too I think.

The Processor temperature is at 39-44 degrees Celsius or so.

- When I save the bios, the computer turns itself off.
- After an amount off time, the computer turns itself off.
- Sometimes, it turns itself off immediatelly after I turn it on.

All fans are active etc...

Help? :confused:

Rbstr
2004-04-03, 10:00 AM
hmm, try updating the Motherboard Bios

EDIT: www.asus.com

Fragmatic
2004-04-03, 10:27 AM
Reset CMOS

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 11:01 AM
Ok I just did that, problem still there.

I can't get the Bios update to the computer, so I can't try that (no floppy on this laptop, and no floppy at the moment in my new Case).

Anyways, it still says the processor is running in Safe speed mode or something like that because the computer wasn't turned off correctly the last time, and that I need the set the speed in the Bios. BUT, every time I exit the bios, the computer turns itself off... and I get the same fault message.

Although, the bios changes I make are saved....

Rbstr
2004-04-03, 11:34 AM
you have everything pluged in properly?

if you hit save in the bios the computer should restart thats how it applys the changes

but the message is repeating after you change tht setting sso perhaps it not a MoBo problem.

its not a cooling problem, perhaps in adequate voltage, what type of PSU do you have?

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 11:42 AM
you have everything pluged in properly?
Actually not 100% sure.

if you hit save in the bios the computer should restart thats how it applys the changes
Yeah, well, it doesn't restart. It shuts down.

its not a cooling problem, perhaps in adequate voltage, what type of PSU do you have?
350W. Which should be enough for 1 Dvd ROM, 1 Hdd, 1 processor, 1 processor fan and Graphics Card.

Rbstr
2004-04-03, 11:47 AM
hmmm, i can't think of much else you can do, I woudl get somebody witha CD burner to make you a bootable CD with asus's flash utility and the new bios for you board.

go to www.asus.com and click on suport and see if you can find anything

Electrofreak
2004-04-03, 11:49 AM
hmmm... well some setting is seriously messed up. Did you try loading optimized defaults? it could be something like incorrect RAM timings or the like... i really dunno what it could be without knowing like ALL of your BIOS settings

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 11:50 AM
yes, I've loaded the optimized defaults.. no difference.

martyr
2004-04-03, 12:41 PM
don't forget to check google groups. usenet is an underappreciated resource.

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 12:41 PM
The processor fan was a royal biatch to attach... it seems impossible to get it off...

To try and reattach it...

Cyanide
2004-04-03, 12:55 PM
Ok, does the FSB go up to 400 in the bios menu? The advertised bus speed is 400mhz. So you take half of that times the multiplier to get the clock speed. If the 200mhz shown in the bios is already cut in half, then that's normal. If that's the full bus speed (meaning it hasn't already divided the number by 2), then that would explain why it's clocking at 1050mhz.

If that's not the problem, check your motherboard jumpers and then recheck them.

GreyFox
2004-04-03, 01:06 PM
200 mhz is the highest it goes...