PDA

View Full Version : Standard armor = waste of textures

Mazelmavin
2003-01-31, 12:34 PM
Anybody else realize that standard armor is a complete waste of time?

Here are some things mentioned by SJ:

Agile armor is the pre-requisite for every other armor.
You can choose to spawn in a defualt setup of your choosing.
Agile armor is, in every way, better than standard.

With those three things in mind, why would you ever wear standard armor once you have Agile?

I also get the feeling that it will be cheap (maybe 1 cert point) to aquire Agile armor. Why not just give it away?

Standard weapons make sense, I may be using those until the later levels. After that I may still find a use for them now and again. In fact, I bet that there maybe characters of 20th level who never use more than standard weapons.

But EVERYONE is going to have Agile armor. Is there anyone here that proves me wrong? Anyone at all that doesn't ever plan on using better than standard armor? If you exist, then there is a reason for standard armor.

LesserShade
2003-01-31, 12:50 PM
well i could be wrong, but in an interview with Hamma, it sounded like he said the standard armor was pretty pointless.

When you spawn, do you spawn in standard armor and you have to go choose a loadout from there? If so, the standard armor will probably just be the gimp armor you have to make do with until you can find yourself equipment

chopstickz
2003-01-31, 12:54 PM
Ah but where would the "I'm well 'ard, ive no armour im gonna kill you all with my toothbrush" look come from?

Airlift
2003-01-31, 01:05 PM
I bet you don't need a cert for standard

Mazelmavin
2003-01-31, 01:14 PM
I have seen the Smoke say that you respawn fully equiped and ready to go. But that might change.

Standard armor and weapons are free. You automatically start with them.

But one of the first things you will do is buy Agile armor. Thus making standard completely useless.

However, if somebody doesn't plan on buying Agile armor until the later levels, standard armor has some use. But I don't think those people exist.

obskure
2003-01-31, 01:36 PM
the armor setup style seems to be very tribes-esque so there is a point to standard armor..

if u respawn back into standard armor, it would be a penalty for dying

Hamma
2003-01-31, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Airlift
I bet you don't need a cert for standard
It comes with your char when you create it, but yea it is pretty useless. I mean, you could use it - but I dont reccomend it.

Unknown
2003-01-31, 01:55 PM
You might see hardcore pilots using standard armor for a while because they want to devote all their certs to vehicles, and since they will be in a vehicle most of the time they wouldn't need to worry about armor yet. But other than that I can't think of any use for standard armor. There might be some kind of an advantage to standard, and if so, then it's possible some people will play standard to utilize said advantage, but it's doubtful.

Mazelmavin
2003-01-31, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I thought about the "vehicle only guy", but Agile armor will probably cost 1 maybe 2 cert points. Agile armor should be "Standard".

Incompetent
2003-01-31, 02:26 PM
in light of new info, your probably going ot be stuck using it when besieged.

Unknown
2003-01-31, 02:36 PM
Not likely Incompetent. You spawn in your armor of choice, so once you get agile and set it as your spawn armor, you will probably never be seen in standard again. At least that's how I understood it.

Mazelmavin
2003-01-31, 02:49 PM
You do indeed respawn with a pre-selected setup.

Here is the proof (http://planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1135) .

LesserShade
2003-01-31, 02:59 PM
^hmm interesting.. i'm not sure how crazy I am about dead defenders spawning in MAX armors while i'm trying to assault a base, but I can imagine how Invo traffic would be frustrating with dozens of people respawning at a bind point.

Still though, I guess I can buy the idea that standard armor might get used by some hardcore pilots who want to get certified in as many vehicles as possible?

Incompetent
2003-01-31, 03:00 PM
read the new producer letter and you'll understand what im getting at. If your surrounded by Vanguards, you shouldn't count on getting resupplied anytime soon, and you'll need to conserve nanites until reinforcements break the siege.

Airlift
2003-01-31, 03:08 PM
Hmmmm, it stands to reason that a hacked term would run off the same silo as the rest of the base, which means Hackers can get in on the war of attrition in some very wicked ways. While you're up in the control room trying to conserve supplies, he's down in sublevel 3 making nanite brownies and popcorn in his easy-bake terminal.

Lillemanden
2003-01-31, 03:23 PM
he's down in sublevel 3 making nanite brownies and popcorn in his easy-bake terminal.
:D hehe, good one ;)

Anyway I don't think the Silo energy will be used fast enough for a siege to be effective. Maybe something like 50/50 assault/siege.

Moloch
2003-01-31, 03:59 PM
spawning hordes of vehicles might drain dem nanites nice and quick

Unknown
2003-01-31, 09:34 PM
I got this question out at the dev chat tonight (I'm Soliloquist):

<Soliloquist> Is there any advantages to being standard armor? or is agile better in every way?

<SmokeJumper> There is no advantage to being in Standard Armor.
<SmokeJumper> It might be a *tiny* bit faster in footspeed, but i don't think so.

SandTrout
2003-01-31, 10:37 PM
Standard armor is only for the newbie pilots that want to get some vehicles first thing. If you look at them, the suits dont use that much detail in the vests and stuff, so the devs are obviousely not putting much effort into them.

Toimu
2003-01-31, 10:48 PM
We start off with 2 certs, 1 being Standard Assault Weapon, and the other being Standard Issue Armor. After sim training, we can get up to 4.

Character Certifications:
Standard Assault Weapon
Medium Assault
Heavy Asault Weapon
Standard Issue Armor
Base deffence role.

This is my idea of how I'll start off one of my characters. But I will be getting better armor ASAP.

Mazelmavin
2003-02-01, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Unknown
I got this question out at the dev chat tonight (I'm Soliloquist):

First, thanks for asking that question. I would have, but was not there.

Second, is there anybody out there actually planning on using Standard Armor after level 5-6?

Ludio
2003-02-01, 05:13 AM
Well I am personally planning on being a MAX, but there is a purpose to standard armor.

Anyone who is serious about planes/vehicles will probably wait until battle rank 10 or higher to get agile armor if they plan on being in any combat on the ground (which they might not be). I say that because the devs have said that aircraft are expensive (probably three cert points) and if you also want some vehicles (probably range from one to three) then you wont be getting anything else until you have at least one or two planes and a few vehicles. At lvl 10 you would have 10 cert points or 2 planes, and 2 mid level vehicles. I think most people will want to get something better so that they can do stuff outside of their vehicle, but standard armor is far from useless.

Unknown
2003-02-01, 11:30 AM
The only people you will see in standard armor are hardcore pilots, and newbies. I suppose it might be possible that some 'l337' player out there will play standard on occasion just for the challenge of it. Hmm...it also might be possible that standard has less of a strain on the implants that are affected by armor size (Silent Run and Surge are 2 examples).