PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst 4.4 Install

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 07:31 PM
I've had this ongoing problem when trying to update the drivers for my Radeon 9600 PRO since Catalyst 3.7 came out. I've had Catalyst 3.6 on my card since I bought it. I tried installing Catalyst 4.4 just a moment ago. After initializing, an Internal Failure dialogue box pops up twice saying Error Number: 0x80040707 and the Description field is blank. After that, a Severe error message comes up telling me it's unable to load ATICIM.dll. Then it goes into the installation as usual, there's no text for the End User License Agreement, I hit next, and no matter what I choose the installation just closes itself and is still running in the Processes list.

Anyone know how to fix this so I can update my drivers?

Rbstr
2004-04-14, 07:35 PM
Hmm try downloading the file again it may have been corupted, www.guru3d.com has never given me a bad DL of a driver

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 08:01 PM
The only difference is the Severe error this time is ISLAYER.DLL not loaded into memory. An Unhandled Exception pops up saying Error Number: 0x80040702 Description: Failed to load dll: ISLAYER Setup will now terminate. And setup terminates.

Rbstr
2004-04-14, 08:05 PM
well that's od, try omega drivers www.omegacorner.com follow the instructions though

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 09:07 PM
I've tried those before, got the same problems

Rbstr
2004-04-14, 09:09 PM
youve tried different versions of the driver as well?

Electrofreak
2004-04-14, 09:40 PM
I'd heard of this problem before, so I went back and found the solution for you on a message board. Here it is.

"If you are logging onto an NT4 Domain have a look at the following.

- The problem occurs when (at least) one or both of the following two Nt
Policy
options have their checkbox cleared:

Default Computer \ Windows NT Shell \ Customer Shared Folders

Custom shared desktop icons
Custom shared Start menu

- I tried to install a common application, and it failed with the error

- These two policy settings correlate to the following registry values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
Shell
Folders

Valuename: "Common Desktop"
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop"

Valuename: "Common Start Menu"
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu"

- You can re-create these registry values manually, or set the NT4 policies
to
checked (put a checkmark in the box) and then specify the
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start
Menu path. This will repopulate the values in the registry.
- Run a "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce" on a 2000 client to
reload
the NT4 policies.
- Run a "gpupdate /force" on an XP client.
- Software should now install correctly."

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 09:51 PM
What is an NT4 Domain?

Electrofreak
2004-04-14, 09:55 PM
uhm ok, let me put it this way. what is your current OS?

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 09:56 PM
Windows XP Home Edition with SP1 installed

Electrofreak
2004-04-14, 10:04 PM
try "gpupdate /force"

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 10:13 PM
Where would I type that into?

Electrofreak
2004-04-14, 10:22 PM
its a run line command. use Start menu -> Run

I gave it a try on my comp and it said it was an unknown command... hopefully u will have better luck

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 10:26 PM
Yeah, unknown command

Electrofreak
2004-04-14, 10:33 PM
ok, give this a shot.
download the Driver Cleaner here (http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/download/DC3Setup_30.zip)

uninstall all ATI drivers on your computer, then run that, and restart your computer so that you are running on basic VGA drivers. then try reinstalling.

edit:messed up the link, its right now

FlakMan
2004-04-14, 11:02 PM
I tried that, didn't work. Now I'm stuck with the VGA drivers until tomorrow where I can actually go look for the CD that came with my card.

Electrofreak
2004-04-15, 01:28 PM
hmmm. yeah i dunno, try reverting back to old drivers :-\

I'm sure if you google CATALYST, you can find some older drivers that work

FlakMan
2004-04-15, 02:12 PM
Shit, I can't even install the ones that are on the CD that came with the card. Same error.

Electrofreak
2004-04-15, 02:22 PM
damn that sucks! try contacting ATI's customer support, I'm sure they have run into this problem before and would be able to help u better than us.

http://www.ati.com/support/contact.html

edit: im pretty sure its a windows problem, but perhaps they can point out to you how to fix it. if they cant help you, give microsoft tech support a call :-\

Napsterr
2004-04-15, 02:44 PM
Yes I agree with what Electro last said about deleting your previous drivers. That is a big thing when downloading new drivers. If you do not delete the old drivers and download with the original VGA drivers, some files will get copied over from the original driver files and the new driver file will not be complete. Always delete old drivers before downloading new ones unless you are downloading Mobo drivers that is.

FlakMan
2004-04-15, 02:50 PM
I don't even know where the old drivers were installed to. I did a search and there's ATI files all over my C: drive.

Rbstr
2004-04-15, 03:16 PM
man thats odd, have you tried booting into safe mode and removing all old drivers (including previous cards drivers) and installing new ones? I would contact ATI support at this point they are normaly a good company to deal with

FlakMan
2004-04-15, 03:34 PM
A few sites said the fix was as simple as stopping the Print Spooler which I've done and it didn't fix anything

Rbstr
2004-04-15, 03:58 PM
you have a crazy problem there man, You may want to try doign a repair install of XP, that will wipe your drivers and stuff(won't delete programs or anything) and it will fix any corupetd windows files that may be doing it

FlakMan
2004-04-15, 06:05 PM
How do I do that?

Rbstr
2004-04-15, 09:21 PM
put your XP cdin and max sure your CDrom is the first to boot, then do the repair option, it will basicaly do a clean install thats keeps your programs installed and doens't wipe your HD, you need to reinstal all your drivers, dowlnoad the newest ones(for everything) and put them on your desktop the whe you boot up it will be right there for you to install

I did it once a while back but can't remember the exact details