PDA

View Full Version : More Newb Questions!

Flameseeker
2003-02-01, 04:43 PM
Yay! Ok, I heard somewhere that all 4 characters must be the same empire. How could that be true with defection in place? Probably just old... Check out this. (http://www.uea.ac.uk/~y0210188/PSskillcalc.html) Pretty neat.

Navaron
2003-02-01, 04:49 PM
Umm,

Unless that guy know something I don't, we don't know how much the certs are going to cost.

You can put all of your characters on one server in one faction if you would like. You can not put characters on different factions on the same servers. You can distribute them any way you would like amongst servers.

Defection was a Dev thing they mentioned just as a solution for one faction getting over run.

Format
2003-02-01, 04:50 PM
Yea, im pretty sure its one faction per server. Its to prevent people from switching back and forth leaking information to a certain group.

Camping Carl
2003-02-01, 04:50 PM
:eek:

Flameseeker
2003-02-01, 05:38 PM
So, does every server have the same map? Are server A and B exactly alike?

Mazelmavin
2003-02-01, 05:40 PM
Yes

diluted
2003-02-01, 05:42 PM
wtf? thats bullcrap. what if i want to try out diff factions? i dont want to delete my character then make another for a diff faction.

Mazelmavin
2003-02-01, 05:44 PM
Then you make another character on another server.

You will be allowed 4 characters PER server. But those 4 characters must be of the same faction.

Toimu
2003-02-01, 05:51 PM
I don't think a dev has said you can been on more than 1 server. I believe I read the only way you can be on more than 1 server is if you pay for more than one account. Account info will most likely be stored on the one server you choose. To keep cost/lag down, I think they will only let you be on one server. Some games force you to be on a server based on your mailing address that you credit card has for you.

Mazelmavin
2003-02-01, 06:00 PM
I didn't see a dev say you couldn't.

This is a MMOG. If they are doing something different from the norm, it would have been explicitly stated. It is not.

Therefore, like every other MMO:
4 characters per server

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Flameseeker
2003-02-01, 06:00 PM
Uhhh, and this restriction will stop me from creating 3 NCs, defecting 1 to Vanu, and then defecting another to TR? Thus giving me all 3, at no cost, because the level 1 person doesn't really have anything to lose. :/

Warborn
2003-02-01, 06:23 PM
You guys are really making this harder than it should be. The following is all how it'll work, but the actual names and number of servers are incorrect. I just made them up.

In Planetside there'll be several Servers. They'll be:

US East
US West
US Central
Europe
Asia/Oceania

Each server has 4 slots. Each one. So in total you can, on one account, have 20 characters, assuming you filled every slot on every server.

The Faction restriction is as follows: Your characters can only belong to one Faction on each individual server. So I could play on US East, and if I made one Terran character, all of my characters on US East would have to be Terran. But if I went to the US West server, I could make a Vanu character, a NC character, or another Terran. And, like with the US East server, subsequent characters would have to belong to the same Faction. So if I made a Vanu on US West, my other 3 character slots on US West could only be occupied by Vanu characters.

You can play on as many servers as you want.

Toimu
2003-02-01, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Flameseeker
Uhhh, and this restriction will stop me from creating 3 NCs, defecting 1 to Vanu, and then defecting another to TR? Thus giving me all 3, at no cost, because the level 1 person doesn't really have anything to lose. :/ You move your account to a different faction.

Toimu
2003-02-01, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Warborn
In Planetside there'll be several Servers. They'll be:

US East
US West
US Central
Europe
Asia/Oceania

Each server has 4 slots. Each one. So in total you can, on one account, have 24 characters, assuming you filled every slot on every server.

You can play on as many servers as you want.

5x4=20 not 24 hehe

I hope we can have an account on each server, just never seen a MMO that you pay for like that. The few I've played, it was you pay to have an account on xx:yy server. If you want to play on aa:bb server, you have to pay for another account.

Warborn
2003-02-01, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Toimu
5x4=20 not 24 hehe

Huh? That's what I said. 20.

*cough*

:rolleyes:

SandTrout
2003-02-01, 06:49 PM
I still think you guys are mistaken on a number of things. It will probably be similar to DAoC.

The USA:east most likely refers to a set of worlds(read games) that are run from a server-cluster in the eastern US. You would decide you server cluster of game you want to look at in order to get the best ping.

For example: If you live in New York you would choose the USA east server because it is closest to you. You would then see a set of compleatly separate games that you can choose to join. For each game you want to join, you can choose and empire and make 4 characters in that empire. This way you could be part of 3 games, 3 empires, and in control of 12 characters. If you want to defect on one of those games, you would likely defect all 4 of your characters in that game to the new empire.

You wont have to delete 4 battle-rank 20 characters in order to try out the Vanu, NC, or TR. You would just have to start up some more characters on another game.

SandTrout
2003-02-01, 06:51 PM
And seriousely, where did this guy get his (probably faulty) information from?

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-01, 07:46 PM
Tominu you can do math but what happened to reading?:D

Warborn
2003-02-01, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by SandTrout
And seriousely, where did this guy get his (probably faulty) information from?

Does this guy have a name?

Navaron
2003-02-01, 07:51 PM
Warborn is right. That's the standard and accepted train of thought, in fact, I think some of the Devs have backed that up.

SandTrout
2003-02-01, 08:07 PM
I was refering to the guy who made the certification calculator.

Navaron
2003-02-01, 08:12 PM
Maybe he was just making a template for later....

SandTrout
2003-02-01, 08:22 PM
Yeah, probably.

:spam: