PDA

View Full Version : Need help, preferably fast...

dscytherulez
2004-06-01, 09:02 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED - THANKS FOR HELP LEVI

Ok, heres the story: My friend came over to my house and the only spare pc is my stepdads. So I installed a game on there, only to find that the video drivers didn't support opengl, which the game runs on. I went to ATI's website and downloaded the alernative drivers for his shitty video card. Restarted the comp, and when it started it was in 640x480 and was in 16 bit color. The original drivers for the vid card aren't on ATI's website, because they are included on the win 2000 disk, which I currently dont have. I tried installing all kinds of other drivers, but no luck. Right now he's pissed, so I really need to fix it.

Tech Info:

-Rage 3d Pro chipset (Said all in wonder somewhere, but tried those drivers and it said they were wrong.)

-Windows 2000

-Intel Pentium III

Yes, I know it's a shitty comp, but we were bored and figured might as well try. Can any of you "higher powers" help me. And also, no n00b answers like "Restart the comp!!!111!!oneone11one!" please :).

Edit: I also should add, the alternative required DX8.1 to run properly, and what is on the comp is only 5.x. I tried updating DX, and it seems to work, but when you restart and run dxdiag, it still shows it at 5.x. (I don't remember the exact number, but it's damn old.

Edit 2: I tried updating the drivers in device manager, and found a closer match, but that just made it unable to even boot. Went back in safe mode to fix this...

Edit 3: My friend Levi directed me to the device manager for rolling back drivers, which I completely forgot about. It didn't work, but while I was in there i completely uninstalled, and reinstalled the video device, which did work. So I owe Levi for this one (sorta :p )

Rbstr
2004-06-01, 10:38 PM
wow solved without even one post

Electrofreak
2004-06-02, 01:29 AM
yeah... i was like wtf is a levi?

dscytherulez
2004-06-02, 10:13 PM
yeah... i was like wtf is a levi?

:rofl:

He's a friend. On PSU his name is WorldVengeance, got a hold of him on AIM.