PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive

duomaxwl
2004-06-19, 04:18 PM
Would having this external hard drive for Planetside and my other games increase my proformance? I was just wondering, and wanted your feedback since you guys know what you are talking about. Here is teh link.:

80GB USB 2.0 External HDD (http://www.xpcgear.com/40usb20expor1.html)

Thanks again yall

Fragmatic
2004-06-20, 02:49 AM
An external hard drive would not increase performance at all, they are slow to access compared to a typical IDE/SATA drive and it is not reccomended to install an operating system on one.

Basically, they're only good for storage.

Rbstr
2004-06-20, 10:03 AM
ou relay not gona get much performance increase out of a harddrive, unless its faster than the one your using now, and you put your swapfile on it.

duomaxwl
2004-06-20, 12:30 PM
how would i put teh swapfile on it? i was just gunna use that one for my games, but i might just use it for storage and to back up PS on..

Fragmatic
2004-06-22, 04:47 AM
Having anything like the swapfile on an external usb hard drive would be bad because the data transfer speed to the hard drive is slower then having an internal hard drive.

Get yourself an extra internal drive if you want space, they're also alot cheaper so you'll save a packet.

dscytherulez
2004-06-22, 01:05 PM
Having anything like the swapfile on an external usb hard drive would be bad because the data transfer speed to the hard drive is slower then having an internal hard drive.

Get yourself an extra internal drive if you want space, they're also alot cheaper so you'll save a packet.

/Agreed

Internal harddrives are EXTREMELY cheap right now. I just bought a 160 gb samsung for $104.50 with free shipping.

I'd recommend going IDE, instead of SATA, even if your mobo supports it. Most SATA's are just bridged or extremely loud. Unless you have an SATA now.

Fragmatic
2004-06-23, 11:24 AM
/Agreed

Internal harddrives are EXTREMELY cheap right now. I just bought a 160 gb samsung for $104.50 with free shipping.

I'd recommend going IDE, instead of SATA, even if your mobo supports it. Most SATA's are just bridged or extremely loud. Unless you have an SATA now.

My SATA Maxtor Diamondmax 9 is silent as one of those really quiet farts that really stinks. exept the drive doesn't stink, it's pretty good.

dscytherulez
2004-06-23, 02:56 PM
My SATA Maxtor Diamondmax 9 is silent as one of those really quiet farts that really stinks. exept the drive doesn't stink, it's pretty good.

I'm not trying to put down SATA's, they are still good drives. The reason I don't like them very much is the fact that they are either bridged, which means they aren't much faster than an IDE, or they are true SATA and are VERY loud. I don't think they are quite ready yet, but once they are improved upon, they will be excellent HDD's.