PDA

View Full Version : Balance of Planetside

Derv
2003-02-05, 08:48 AM
I know that I am no expert of the game, but I have heard that if one of the empires is better than the others, then the Game Managers will modify stuff like how good the guns are in order to balance it out. Is this true? And if so, will the amount of modification be significant so that it will be noticed? I don't think that this would be a good idea, just because there aren't many people that may want to join one of the empires which will make them not as good, doesn't mean that you should make each of them better than each of on of the other empires. I guess I kinda have the idea that if the ratio of Terran:NC:VS is like 3:2:1, then the empires will be balanced so that the Terran guns are the worst, the NC guns stay the same, and the VS guns are the best. Maybe what I have heard was completely wrong or I have morphed it significantly. Let me know.

Ludio
2003-02-05, 08:53 AM
The game is supposed to be COMPLETELY balanced. It doesn't mean that it will be, but the devs will do their best to assure that the different empires don't have any advantage over another.

They have different play styles, but they balance out overall.

And that info you heard about the ratios is wrong. No one knows what will happen when the game comes out, but it will probably be 1:1:1.

TeamR
2003-02-05, 08:57 AM
Well, as you know, nowhting at this point is set in stone but Dave has commented on this and it wont be that radical. As I understand (and I could be wrong to) there will be a slight xp bonus when an empire is outnumbered, but that wont be global. Heres an example: If a bunch of outfits get together and decide to take over all the bases on a continent, and by the end of it they outnumber TR and VS soldiers 6 to 1, they wont get much experience points because of their huge numbers.

As far as global server numbers, the devs are confident that things will even themselves out, but if things get WAY lopsided, they will give bonuses to the smaller empire. What those bonus are, nobody knows. Not until beta when they can tweak all those small details.

Anyhow, just realize that all this info has probably changed by now. Or it could be right on the money. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Kyonye
2003-02-05, 10:06 AM
well it probably won't be a 1:1:1 ratio but you have to take in the that there will be people that are going to be amazing at this game. even if a squad is outnumbered, the lesser squad could have a "commando" type person that would be able to take out 4 people before he dies himself. you can't completely base how well an empire will do on how much they outnumber another empire by. you have to take into fact that there will always be someone better then another person.

LesserShade
2003-02-05, 12:05 PM
the poll that was running on all the empire's websites sure makes it seem like it will be pretty damn close to 1:1:1 when i looked out of 24,000 people that were polled it looked pretty close to 1/3 Vanu 1/3 NC 1/3 TR.

Kyonye
2003-02-05, 12:31 PM
still don't decide the fate of an empire by how many people there are.

LesserShade
2003-02-05, 12:34 PM
agreed.. i don't think there will be the fate of anything. If one team is punking the others, then they will get nerfed.. competition has got to be tight for this game to really work, so balance between the empires will be paramount.

�io
2003-02-05, 01:21 PM
They haven't yet said what type of incentives there will be for joining the underdog. I think it's a very good idea to add incentives when an empire is getting outnumbered a lot. It's no fun to lose every single battle you know, if you're like me and try to play for the underdog as much as possible you know why balancing teams is a good thing. :)

Yogi
2003-02-05, 03:14 PM
Game balance I'm sure will be a big focus during beta.

Zoolooman
2003-02-05, 03:17 PM
Especially considering the variety amongst the MAXs available to said empires.

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-05, 03:18 PM
yeah I dont think balance is something we will ever have to worry about ;)

Derv
2003-02-05, 04:56 PM
Ok, this clears up a lot, thx guys. I just hope that they don't go overboard with trying to balance things... it might get out of control. The xp bonus/decrease sounds like a good plan to me. Hopefully the game creators make the right decision on this issue =).

Sigurd
2003-02-05, 05:14 PM
awww, now i cant clean sweep the planet. I heard they might nerf a faction if their are to many people on it or something. I hope its only a rumor

Hamma
2003-02-05, 05:30 PM
Its hard to say what the balance issues will be until we start getting in some serious gameplay time.

We do know they will have various measures in place to keep the game from getting too lopsided. What we dont know is, what some of those measures will be.

Jaged
2003-02-05, 05:40 PM
I have heard alot of people say they want a chalange and will join the side with the smallest numbers. I hope we get alot of those people to even out teams.