PDA

View Full Version : My CD Drive stoped responding

Jaged
2004-08-07, 08:25 PM
I was happily playing Doom 3 when the computer locks up I reboot, and when I get back to the desktop I can't get my CD drive to respond to anything. Clicking on the icon for Doom gets a "Please insert DVD-ROM into drive and restart aplication." (I I have the CD version of the game, wtf?) The CD drive dosen't appear on the "My Computer" menu. I haven't tryed any other games or apps yet but I am prety sure they won't work. If they work I will post it here. What is going on? All the cables are pluged in, I already checked that. And I have rebooted 2-3 times.

Jaged
2004-08-08, 02:36 AM
Also, I just tried pluggung in a different CD drive that I know works. The problem did not get any better or worse.

Btw, why the hell can't I edit my posts in this forum?

Edit: Ok thats strange, I can edit this post, but not the one above it. Explain please, I am confused.

Octavian
2004-08-08, 02:43 AM
Try updating the firmware.

Jaged
2004-08-08, 02:55 AM
The problem is with windows. My linux partition sees both drives fine.

i haven't tried reinstaling windows yet. Thats the next step.

Daleon
2004-08-08, 03:31 AM
Its usually burner software that causes these problems. Especially aspi issues. I know DM3 doesn't work if you have Alcohol 120 installed, which is a crock.

Jaged
2004-08-08, 03:35 AM
Now thats interesting. I installed nero burning software about 1-2 days before these problems began.

MattxMosh
2004-08-08, 04:13 AM
Now thats interesting. I installed nero burning software about 1-2 days before these problems began.
Ive never had anythign but trouble with Nero, but, if you arent afraid to edit the registry, this usually works.

Start>Run>Regedit

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.

Might require a reboot to work.

dscytherulez
2004-08-09, 03:14 PM
Its usually burner software that causes these problems. Especially aspi issues. I know DM3 doesn't work if you have Alcohol 120 installed, which is a crock.

Mine does...

Edit: And about nero, even though burner software does seem to conflict with a lot of things, I find that nero is one of the best out there. The worst is by far Roxio.

Corrosion
2004-08-09, 03:45 PM
DM3 = Doom 3?

My works fine with Alky installed.

Jaged
2004-08-10, 02:46 AM
The problem is fixed. Reinstaling windows did the trick. Unfortunatly all my software got uninstalled to. :(

Daleon
2004-08-10, 04:09 AM
"Doom 3 has a protection system based primarily on a CD Key check � you must have a valid CD Key to install and play Doom 3 online. Doom 3 also checks to make sure you don't have certain drive emulation or CD copying software installed. Software like Alcohol, Daemon Tools and CloneCD can and will cause problems when attempting to install/run Doom 3, so if necessary uninstall this software to ensure Doom 3 runs without any problems. This is an unfortunate necessity with some of the latest games (like Far Cry), and it is up to you whether you tolerate such protection systems or not."