PDA

View Full Version : Networking Blues

keaoi
2004-08-17, 06:37 PM
Until I get Cable/DSL my computer sits at a friend's house and connects to the internet via crossover cable. The internet works just fine, with a few exceptions.

1.) It will not connect to ANY web-based mail/chat providers. This includes MSN Messenger and directly threw (www.hotmail.com). Same goes for AIM, Yahoo, etc.

2.) I cannot register for products or services (ie. Beta's, gamespy, etc).

3.) Does not see main servers when trying to connect to an MMO service (PS, FFXI, etc).

However, it does see master servers when looking for games (of the non-MMO type) online. UT2k4, Tribes, etc.

For numbers 1 & 2 I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error immediately. The page doesn't seem to even try and load.

No idea on which computer the problem is, I'm fairly certian it is because either:

a.) It's a crossover cable and windows is ghey.
b.) We have a network setting wrong (most likely)

Any ideas?

martyr
2004-08-17, 06:48 PM
it isn't windows or the cable.
i suspect the router's got firewall firmware blocking important ports that you'll need to open manually. find out about accessing the firmware setup utility.

keaoi
2004-08-17, 07:11 PM
No router or firewall. Ethernet to ethernet via crossover cable.

any way to find out what port specific games/services use and how to clear them? if that is even the problem.

MattxMosh
2004-08-17, 08:00 PM
Is it through ICS?

Using Windows ICS causes loads of problems, and even more if the Windows firewall is on.

Rbstr
2004-08-17, 08:50 PM
No router or firewall. Ethernet to ethernet via crossover cable.

any way to find out what port specific games/services use and how to clear them? if that is even the problem.

It jsut goes directly to the modem?

keaoi
2004-08-17, 09:02 PM
No, his cable modem connects to one of his two ethernet ports (Asus A7n8X-Deluxe). The other port connects to my computer via a crossover cable.

Rbstr
2004-08-17, 10:10 PM
OK well thats were your problem is going to be happening, somewere on his comp you need to change settings for his other ethernet port

Daleon
2004-08-18, 02:52 PM
Get a ROUTER. $20 on ebay.