PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal Computer

enfiliade
2004-08-23, 01:09 PM
Hi, there. I just had my comp just randomly crash on me last night. 1024 and I were playin CoD and it would freeze up about every 20 minutes, and it looked like I was laggin' out from the server. I'd just raw restart my machine, since nothin' else would work, and it would come up fine with no errors.

Then one time, it went into the typical BIOS load-up screen and gave the error saying that either a hardware/software change occured, or a raw shut off/restart occured (fairly common screen).

It gave the options: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally.

In the Safe Mode options, it checks a bunch of drivers, and it gets stuck on multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\System3 2\DRIVERS\agp440.sysIt simply stops on this file, waits about 5 seconds, and restarts the computer.

Now if you think about the file that it's stuck on out of about 30-40, it makes it seem like a graphics card driver or sys file or something, but we can't figure out first of all what it would mean, and second, how to fix it.

In the other two options (Start Normally and Last Known Configuration), It acts like it's starting Windows normally and on the typical loading screen, it restarts the computer after about 5-10 seconds.

We're wondering if we should:

1) Boot off of a Norton CD (Drives seem to be fine).
2) Put my drive into 1024's comp as slave and back-up the files I want to keep, and then re-format.
3)Anything else you guys can think of.

Anyways, anything you guys could do to help would be great, and thanks for reading/replying :D

Electrofreak
2004-08-24, 03:31 AM
It is an AGP driver failure, by the look of it. You need to reinstall your chipset drivers (they include your AGP drivers).