PDA

View Full Version : This game is missing...

Bighoss
2003-02-09, 08:55 PM
Flamethrowers !!!

I can't believe they won't have these. There would be nothing more satisfying than running in close range and lighting 3 people on fire and watching there corpses burn.

Arshune
2003-02-09, 08:56 PM
There was supposed to be one, but they nixed it...I don't remember why though.

Kyonye
2003-02-09, 08:58 PM
no need. if they truly want it in there, they'll put it in a patch or something.

Zoolooman
2003-02-09, 08:59 PM
Flamethrowers are nixed for two reasons.

1. Unbalanced. It's really hard to balance a flamethrower. It's either REALLY bitchin, or complete suckitude.

2. Technical difficulties. Nothing takes up more FPS than 10 people spraying a stream of particles, animated textures, and/or volumetric pixel shader effects.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-09, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Zoolooman
2. Technical difficulties. Nothing takes up more FPS than 10 people spraying a stream of particles, animated textures, and/or volumetric pixel shader effects.

Yes, but they are damn cool ;)
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Kyonye
2003-02-09, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Zoolooman
Flamethrowers are nixed for two reasons.

1. Unbalanced. It's really hard to balance a flamethrower. It's either REALLY bitchin, or complete suckitude.

what he said.

Bighoss
2003-02-09, 09:12 PM
if they can do a beam though couldn't they go the full 9 yards and give us fire ! That's what we all really want:D

Hamma
2003-02-09, 09:14 PM
I am fairly certain it was ditched due to the fact that if you have 20n people operating a flamethrower in a small area, your FPS will drop to 0

Bighoss
2003-02-09, 09:16 PM
we at least need some kind of fire. Like a Napalm grenade or something.

Kyonye
2003-02-09, 09:24 PM
what they really should make is a flash grenade. when you throw it into a room. who ever is in there, will lose sight for a few seconds giving the other team slight chance. i know they have to make a downfall so, if your own teammates are in the room also then they will lose sight too.

Arshune
2003-02-09, 09:24 PM
Plasma grenades work like napalm.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-09, 09:27 PM
what they really should make is a flash grenade. when you throw it into a room. who ever is in there, will lose sight for a few seconds giving the other team slight chance. i know they have to make a downfall so, if your own teammates are in the room also then they will lose sight too.

We don't need CS =P

Besides, I would imagine with although the high tech, implants, visors, etc, light would be auto-adjusted to our vision anyhow. Also, thsi game is more concentrated on open field battles, so flash grenades would be kind of wasted space 90% of the time.

Nomikahn
2003-02-09, 09:27 PM
Im happy that the flamethrower was removed, there has always been clipping issues, and FPS issues in all FPS games with the flamethrower being involved. If the FrameRate wasn't an issue, there would be that mostly it would project flames through the wall of a base or through a tank to hit the people taking cover.

Kyonye
2003-02-09, 09:28 PM
that is true but, you know..... errrrr. SHUTUP.:D

Zetre
2003-02-09, 09:31 PM
why don't they make a plasma tesla coil. It would make less lag than a flamethrower, and still get the basic point across. The biggest problem i have with a thrower is that it is always really really unbalanced. It is always too good. I can't find 1 game where the flamer isn't the best weapon in the game in most close range cases.

Kyonye
2003-02-09, 09:33 PM
if they really wanted to put a flamethrower in then they would find a way to limit its ability.

Mikedanad
2003-02-09, 09:33 PM
I agree with all the above reasons completly, but although I didn't play much of it, But 'Return to Castle Wolfenstien' I believed had a very beautiful and complex flamethrower which didn't ruin frame rates online...Im not positive so don't flame me.

Nomikahn
2003-02-09, 09:40 PM
Mike is very right on that, the RtCW had a very advanced flamethrower. In games that take care into it, the flamethrower provides both advantages and disadvantages. The advatange is the area you can clear of infantry and the ease you can aim with the flames, while also reducing your visability and causing a massive explosion when taking a bullet to the tank. Flamethrower is something I would really like to see later in the game. However, I feel that grief points would rack up rather quickly.

Bighoss
2003-02-09, 09:41 PM
good pun at the end:D

maybe they could severly limit the ammo like only could carry around 15 seconds worth of ammo. So u could clear out bunkers and stuff.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-09, 09:42 PM
I also think flamethrowers can be made fairly balanced.

The one thing you have to remember about well balanced flamethrowers is you HAVE to be at about melee range to hit someone with it.

Zetre
2003-02-09, 09:48 PM
not really melee range, but yeh. I have always liked it in games when you could hit the napalm tank and blow the person to peices, but unfortunately with this game, there are no hit zones, so i can find no way they could balance the thrower unless you had to get really close.

Nomikahn
2003-02-09, 09:50 PM
I find the burn effect on the plasma grenades, very supplimental for the flamethrower :D 'Nading has always been fun, and the small selection, which is sure to grow looks like fun already. I also like the concept of having the grenades loaded into the thumper.

Bighoss
2003-02-09, 09:50 PM
I guess we'll need to give the interweb and computers more time to develop before they can make games with that much detail.

Cao_Cao
2003-02-09, 11:20 PM
Good points so far no joke. Both ways, but.... not every body has a great comp, and like everquest i'm sure there trying to get every body to be able to play.

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 12:01 AM
if you guys remember, the devs in RTCW had huge problems with the flamer. During the oldold stuff, they had issues with dmg, then in the demo, early versions there were huge frame issues when 3+ people used a flamer at the same time in the same area. They were finally able to get it to work, but not after many issues (I think that they didnt find a real solution, jsut a good enough fake fix thing, ya know the ones). I think that with the scale of this game, that if you had a bunch of people using a flamer that you would have issues no matter what you did.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-10, 12:20 AM
Problem: Lots of troops with flamers cause lag.

Solution: FLAME TANKS

BURN BABY BURN!:flamemad:

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 01:51 AM
lol, do you play Renegade too? =P I just love flame tanks =)

But I still dont think that with the amount of people playing that it would work =( oh well, back to the air for me =)

-MrVulcan

P.S.
All i need is a bomber to be happy ;)

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-10, 02:04 AM
Well of course. BURN!

:flamemad::flamemad::flamemad::flamemad::flamemad:

[Edit: On a side note, I think gameplay is going to be a lot like Renegade, nearly everyone in a vehicle except snipers and stealthers mainly (and the MAX for us), and the length of fights about the same. The only difference is the fact we have to take multiple buildings, instead of a base.]

Supafun
2003-02-10, 10:28 AM
Team Fortress Classic, the pyros suck:rolleyes:

Kyonye
2003-02-10, 10:29 AM
they're not going to have flamethrowers, please get over it

Nomikahn
2003-02-10, 10:34 AM
Ohh, the yummy 2-D flames of Half-Lifes' Team Fortress. Whenever I play Renegade, I lag though... :huh: I think they have horrible netcode. Or maybe it's just me, anyone else have that?

Kyonye
2003-02-10, 10:37 AM
well, sometimes, errrrr...... yeah errr...... ummmmmm, sometimes, yeah, sometimes.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-10, 10:42 AM
Whenever I play Renegade, I lag though... I think they have horrible netcode. Or maybe it's just me, anyone else have that?
I didn't lag much when I played servers in my timezone, but I do agree their net code was very much sub-par. although I have seen 12 flametanks on one screen and no lag from Renegade.

Deadlock
2003-02-10, 12:34 PM
if u need fire, most likly itll come as a grenade. the idea of a flash grenade (Kyonye) could work well if instead of limiting sight it would reverse ur controls or something... maybe not even call it a flash grenade but maybe some sort of nerve gas

Kyonye
2003-02-10, 12:40 PM
http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=2

picture of a flamethrower. did not make game though.