PDA

View Full Version : About our friend the Galaxy.

TheGreatCarbini
2003-02-10, 02:30 PM
I was just wondering,since Island jumping is the only part that take load time for this game, if you have a fully packed Galaxy and you send it through the warp gate, what happens to the people with slow load times? Does the craft gate in once the driver has it loaded and then the passengers get warped back into the galaxy when they all finish warping? Cause some comps will load faster ect. Or dose the ship hold untill everyone has finished loading the new island? Was wondering cause those people with load time are gona be falling out of alot of dropships if it is already flying away hehe.

Hamma
2003-02-10, 03:12 PM
I'm sure they have taken this into consideration. It will probably wait for all users to be synched up before it allows the pilot to fly out.

Deadlock
2003-02-10, 05:15 PM
it would be kinda funny though to see some poor shmoe materialize hundreds of feet above the ground and fall to his death just because the plane "dun left em'"

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 05:18 PM
lol, that would be funny =) we would have to move the galaxy in w/o anyone in it, and the rest of the people load/unload in the no weapons zone.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa =P

Diego
2003-02-10, 05:42 PM
Oh top of what Hamma said for them thinking it, I'm going to have a few thoughts..

A: The Galaxy waits for everyone to load, then goes out.

B: When the pilot of the Galaxy is loaded, it takes off (Others won't be THAT far behind). When the others load in, they will just be sitting in the Galaxy, in Mid-Flight. I don't think they'd just fall to their death, I believe SOE is smart enough to put them into the ship.

Thats my thoughts.. :)

Derfud
2003-02-10, 06:00 PM
That is my tought also

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 06:18 PM
I hope most people have broadband, or else anyone who rides in my DS will have RR or DSL. I hope that a server really can support all these 56k pieces of shit. BTW...And now for something completely different...PS has very small system requirements, I'll only need a new graphics card, anyone got an idea? I was thinking the R9700, but a little too expensive.

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 06:45 PM
...anyone...:( :tear:

Falcon
2003-02-10, 07:01 PM
Remember that the minimum requirements of the game is broadband, but there will be access to a limited (I think) amount of dialup users

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 07:12 PM
nope.

"Technical Information

What are the game's requirements?
This is not finalized. Current assumption is at 1.0Ghz CPU (more is better), a GeForce2 w/64MB VRAM, 512MB RAM (the RAM requirement may be lowered in the future...more details after further testing). A good sound card wouldn't hurt either. Neither would a broadband connection (although 56K Modems are supported).
Will there be a Mac or Linux version of the game, or possibly a console port?
While we won't rule anything out at this point, there are currently no plans to support any platform except the PC."

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 07:24 PM
I have a, and a computer with a gforce 4 4600, and my neighbor has a computer with a radon 9700; and the gforce4 4600 has no capability issues, but he run into problems with the 9700 all the time. Several games have issues. And I can not tell a difference in frame rates, or looks of any game ive seen run on it.

I would go with the gforce line, they tend to work with everything. Its your money, but from my exp with them, that is what ive seen.

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 08:05 PM
cool, thanks, i'll check out the prices on some older gforces.

Diego
2003-02-11, 01:56 PM
GeForce 2 MX-400 = Not For PlanetSide

The lowest GeForce I would ever suggest for such a high end game, would be the GeForce3 Ti-500. I believe it's called the 500, I could be wrong. But if your even going to purchase a GeForce3, add 30 bucks and get a 4. I highly suggest getting a GeForce 4 Ti-4600/4800, You won't have to upgrade for quite some time, and the compatability issues won't be there.

If you want to go all out, I suggest getting a entire new system, and with that being said, pick yourself up a Nvidia GeForce FX. That bad boy has got some power, and you won't upgrade until 2006-2008. (A 2 year gap because we don't have a clue what type of gaming will be out, at that point PS-like games could be the "regular" engine.)

Hope that helps..

Mopo
2003-02-11, 02:01 PM
NOTHING BELOW a GF3 for PS, infantry.

But since air has a lot more stuff on screen, id say at LEAST a GF4 for air.

MrVulcan
2003-02-11, 02:48 PM
1st off, I wouldn�t get a card until the beta is underway, since im sure that they will change the comp requirements along the way... but:

I don�t agree, I think that a GeForce3 Ti 500 will probably be able to play this game ok, you wont be able to bump up the graphics all the way like on a 4600, etc but you wont have any lag issues. If they say that the GeForce 2 MX-400 will run it prob will. The major parts of this game are not run on system, it is run on server side, so you don�t need all of the heavy duty stuff.

If I were you, and money was an issue, but not too big an issue, get one of the following cards:

GeForce4 MX 460/440 or a Geforce 3 Ti 500 (in that order)

A friend of mine is running the 440, and can play anything thus far that my 4600 can. Sure the graphics are down a notch or 2, but it is half the price.

Go here to look at the card specs:

G4-Mx-460/440:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4mx

G4-4200/4600/4800:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4ti

G3-500
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3

Just so you can see, the min requirements are:
GeForce2 w/64MB VRAM:
http://www.geforce.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce2mx

So, it really comes down to how much money you are willing to spend.... The min card is cheap, the G4-440 is about 180-200$, the 4600 is around the 400$ range (but frys had it for 300$!!), so heres the info that I could give ya. Just be careful not to get a card that is close to the min specs before they finalize the requirements, you don�t want to have gotten 1, then have it not work =)

P.S.
the 4600, and the new 4800 are the same card! Look at the stats (on site, and on box) they are the same. They are making a new line for the FX coming out, and are still trying to get people to buy their "old" best card.

BLuE_ZeRO
2003-02-11, 03:09 PM
ti4200 is less than the 4600 and it gets pretty good performance as well so you might want to look into that if you're on a budget.

LesserShade
2003-02-11, 03:23 PM
^agreed.. the 4200 is a good deal

Diego
2003-02-11, 06:13 PM
Blue Zero is completly correct, the 4200 is an insane card, with not all THAT much of a difference, except with your Toms Hardware Guide benchmarks, which don't get me wrong, are good.

As for you MrVulcan, where in the hell do you shop? You can get Ti-4600's for less than $400, and if that "With fry's for $300" thing was the true cost, thats more like it, give or take a few bucks.

But with what they say for the GeForce 2, I believe is total crap and a GeForce2 wouldn't do you shit. As for the 4600 and the 4800, they are not the same, 4800 has better cooling and runs a little smoother, but yes it does have the same GPU and what not..

Tobias
2003-02-11, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Deadlock
it would be kinda funny though to see some poor shmoe materialize hundreds of feet above the ground and fall to his death just because the plane "dun left em'"

There is no colision in warp gates, and for those who dont know what that means, bullets dont hit you, you cant get ran over by a truck, and if you fall from the moon and land in a warp gate your still gravy. My question is will we just clip though other people/things in a warp gate?

Arshune
2003-02-11, 06:44 PM
I don't think geforce2's will run into any problems until they have hundreds of people on screen at once, the infantry models for PS don't look like they're packed with features that would be tough on cards, the detail is like all in the textures...without the textures on them I bet they'd look a little on the blocky side.

Arthell
2003-02-11, 06:51 PM
We bought 2 GeForce4 Ti-4200 cards for 3-350ish.

Canadian. :p

Subliminal
2003-02-11, 07:05 PM
Im tryin to save my money as im gonna have to buy a car soon (thank god i can get outta this damn place :) ) but right now i have a geforce4 mx420 how is that gonna work with the game? it meets the mins just fine but im thinking of upping to a Radeon9000pro with 128mb (cuz its pretty inexpensive) im also going to order some ram pretty soon because 256 is the minimuma and i dont wanna be the slow guy :D

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-11, 07:25 PM
Woah, please read this:
DO NOT BUY ANY FORM OF GEFORCE MX!!!

So many issues it isn't even funny, and you will have lots of support issues with things like DirectX 8.1

But I agree with most people here, get a GeForce Ti4200, and make sure it is a good brand (PNY, ABIT, etc)

Nohimn
2003-02-11, 07:29 PM
I agree. GeForce 4 is da best

DO NOT READ THIS TEXT DO NOT READ THIS TEXT

MrVulcan
2003-02-11, 09:03 PM
GeForce Ti4200 is a good card to be sure =)

OmnipotentKiwi, I have seen no real issues with the geforce 4 mx ones, sure they are not the power that the 4000 series is, but they are cheap. And I have have not sen any issues with DX-9.

4200 is a very good card though.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-12, 08:27 AM
OmnipotentKiwi, I have seen no real issues with the geforce 4 mx ones, sure they are not the power that the 4000 series is, but they are cheap. And I have have not sen any issues with DX-9.

Problem is it doesn't fully support all the features of higher end DX, and it became blatantly apparent when the new graphics engine for Shrouded Isles came out. The GeForce 3 actually can play all the features of DX, while GeForce 4 MX cannot.

MrVulcan
2003-02-12, 10:56 AM
hmmm interesting, i did not know that =)

I have not seen Shrouded Isles ever played on anything, so I guess I cant say much for that =)

I do know that it runs UT2003 well =)

Learn something new every day =)

NeoTassadar
2003-02-12, 11:15 AM
If island hopping takes loading time, what about the navy expansion? Will a ship hit a boundry and freeze/disappear while it loads during a hot pursuit? I hope the devs can find some way to get around island/continent load time. And what if someone actually took the time to fly the long way there?

MrVulcan
2003-02-12, 11:38 AM
Here is how i see ships working...

I think that they will be more like assault boats, and will have to stay in shallow water around the islands.... Thus that solves the loading issue, and the tactical issue. It also makes it so there will no be the issue of finding the boats in open water. Keep everything centralized in the war.

Just how i see it happening.

Diego
2003-02-12, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by OmnipotentKiwi
Problem is it doesn't fully support all the features of higher end DX, and it became blatantly apparent when the new graphics engine for Shrouded Isles came out. The GeForce 3 actually can play all the features of DX, while GeForce 4 MX cannot.

Where do I start with this one?

One piece of advice: Do not buy a ATI Graphics Card.

You will have problem after problem after problem with them. Trust me...

Even the 9700 Pro has issues, but is the better of the ATI-Family.. Don't buy a ATI, get a Nvidia...Or GeForce so to speak. :)

Zatrais
2003-02-12, 05:15 PM
Heh....

Best bang for your buck is a TI 4200 that you OC... the suckers are made to be OC'd.

But if you want the best card thats out, get the Radeon9700 pro.. preferably one made by Sapphire, they're the best of 9700's. I have a Radeon 9700 pro and i have no problems whit it.

But whatever you do, don't ever turn into a hardware fan.. it just ruins your options and the ability to get the best things out there. Nvidiots are a good example...

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-12, 05:56 PM
:lol: thx zatrais, still, the new gforce is a mere 225