PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos can be repaired! But not repair!

MrVicchio
2003-02-10, 03:33 PM
Author Topic: Underpowered Landing Towers
WarHampster911
Station Member
Registered: Dec 2002 posted 02-08-2003 01:47 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night at the developer interview you talked about the three towers and you said the landing tower was underpowered I jsut wanted to give you a boosting idea. Why not when you land nanite machines around the pad repair your ship and you can take off in 30-40 seaconds. It wouldnt overpower them, but they would be more important and stronger, especially when you fot in a dog fight and got some dmg you can just lan on a nearby pad and takeoff for more fighting in 20-30 seaconds very useful and a great idea!
Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Rogue sets it straight.

rogue13ps
Station Member

posted 02-10-2003 09:19 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mosquitos can be repaired, but they cannot repair themselves or anything else.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum2/HTML/002513.html

Lexington_Steele
2003-02-10, 03:43 PM
What happened to the mosquitos ability to repair things????

The Mosquito is primarily an airborne light recon aircraft. Much smaller and less armored than a light Gunship, Mosquitoes are however faster and more agile. Due to the fixed nature of its chaingun, Mosquitoes are better suited for strafing runs or lining up directly behind its target. Although its primary function is reconnaissance, all Mosquitoes are able to repair various objects including but not limited to other vehicles.

�io
2003-02-10, 04:25 PM
:eek:

What the *beep*?!

:flamemad::furious::flamemad:

Sputty
2003-02-10, 04:47 PM
Wow, that makes the mosquito so much less useful.

Falcon
2003-02-10, 09:29 PM
Kinda funny that you guys didn't know about that before lol:eek:

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-11, 01:13 AM
I still think it is useful for what its intent seemed to be, scouting.

Sputty
2003-02-11, 04:02 PM
I think, jsut for protection reasons that the Reaver will be used often in scouting and in combat Mosquitos are now useless...heh..Fast maybe...burt weaker offensively and defensively

Yuyi
2003-02-11, 04:24 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-11, 07:03 PM
I think, jsut for protection reasons that the Reaver will be used often in scouting and in combat Mosquitos are now useless...heh..Fast maybe...burt weaker offensively and defensively

Errr, I believe the Mosquito DOES NOT show up on radar, but Reaver does...

I'll be scouting in the Mosquito thank you very much. :D

mistled
2003-02-11, 08:36 PM
ok, I'm confused as hell.... the first post is about giving the landing pads the ability to repair aircraft as a way to make them better.... what in the world does the mosquito have to do with anything??

Tobias
2003-02-13, 10:13 AM
Back in the olden days of yor when men were men and so were women, Skeeters could repair things.

Steveokb
2003-02-13, 03:16 PM
heres the deal: no one cares if you show up on radar in a reaver, bring it! its just scouting. i agree the mosiquos or what ever are way to insignificant now other then being stealth, the have little offenive and little defencive, so why would a piolt pick it over a reaver?? i think if the mosiqutos can repair they would be MUCH more usefull
stevo-

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-13, 03:32 PM
no one cares if you show up on radar in a reaver, bring it!
Planes are not tanks, keep that in mind when you post things like that.

Also keep in mind the only real advancement in the attack capabilities of the Reaver is dumbfire rockets, and the turret is movable.

mistled
2003-02-13, 03:36 PM
I'm still lost. I understand that the mosquito spec changed, but the initial post by WarHampster911 doesn't even mention the skeeter at all. Why exactly did rouge bring it up?? (or is that revealed by reading the whole thread that those comments came from??)

MrVicchio
2003-02-13, 03:45 PM
I just normally post the first post, and then the dev posts, and add the link for those lost.

Hehehe... I can't do EVERYTHING fro you ;)

Sputty
2003-02-13, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by OmnipotentKiwi
and the turret is movable.
It is? I've heard that it isn't from Hamma. It's one man

Hamma
2003-02-13, 04:55 PM
It wasnt when I played.

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-13, 05:54 PM
It is? I've heard that it isn't from Hamma. It's one man

Ok, I was wrong :D I just assumed from the comparison of the descriptions of the mosquito and reaver that it was movable. Well that is one less reason for the Reaver to be better.

And yes, I know what assuming does. :p

Hamma
2003-02-13, 06:27 PM
oops, hope i didnt confuse anyone lol:

The turret is not movable

it is a one man operation :p

mistled
2003-02-13, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by MrVicchio
I just normally post the first post, and then the dev posts, and add the link for those lost.

Hehehe... I can't do EVERYTHING fro you ;) ah, sorry... I just assumed that the first post and the important thing we were supposed to get out of it actually had something to do with each other... oh well :p

Hellsfire123
2003-02-13, 07:34 PM
"Last night at the developer interview you talked about the three towers and you said the landing tower was underpowered I jsut wanted to give you a boosting idea. Why not when you land nanite machines around the pad repair your ship and you can take off in 30-40 seaconds. It wouldnt overpower them, but they would be more important and stronger, especially when you fot in a dog fight and got some dmg you can just lan on a nearby pad and takeoff for more fighting in 20-30 seaconds very useful and a great idea!
Thoughts, ideas, opinions?"

"mosquitos can be repaired, but they cannot repair themselves or anything else."

Well wasnt that enlightening. Later when we ask about bullet velocities maybe you'll give us the weather outside. No offense but the only connection between the question and the answer is that they both involve aircraft. I know you guys are busy with the game, but please dont just skim through our ideas. We actually have quite alot of good ones.

In anycase, that would be a nice ability for the air towers. As they stand right now they are about as useful as a flat rock next to an AMS. Cept you cant see the AMS.

EDIT:
Okay, i went and read the forum link, and rogue's answer does fit at the point its entered. But this thread needs editing. The question and answer form just doesnt work on this one. I left the orignal post up because its kinda funny.

Alaskan_m
2003-02-13, 08:28 PM
Well i for one when scouting would rather be off of the radar. For one you might just be able to get away not noticed and let them think they are safe then attack. Second its better to not get hit then to be a little more armored and get hit by all the guy within a mile of you.

Daedalus
2003-02-16, 02:49 PM
The stealth capability of the mosquito makes it efficient.For example you assemble a squad of ten mosquitos and surprise attack an infantry squad,wiping them out before they even know what hit them.
The Reaver is more efficient against tanks because it has dumbfire rockets.

Madprofessor9
2003-02-20, 01:26 PM
I also believe the the reavers gun is a bit more powerful
under the specs it says its primary weapon is a Rotary chain gun
it really looks like a turreted chain gun like the ones mounted on the apachi helicopters and ar able to swivel wither they move or not in the game I don't know but who knows anything can happen in the future heheh

but the mosquito's primary is a Light rotary chaingun

correct me if I'm wrong hammer but I believe the reavers gun is a bit more powerful then the skeeters. now the perks to the rotary system would be a high fire rate compared to a swivel like turret system which the reaver looks like it has on the bottom would have a lower fire rate in turn for more punch in its projectiles :)

Deadlock
2003-02-20, 01:40 PM
i dont think the skeeters useless now. but it would be nice if it was given a little something more. maybe they could make it so it could drop a bomb that scrambels anything electronic. like a tank that notices u scouting. that wouldnt be balence altering and would push more people to chose it for scouting purposes.

i dunno, maybe im just full of crap.

Madprofessor9
2003-02-20, 02:00 PM
I personally think ecm jamming would be awesome with the skeeters
(ECM) (Electronic Counter Measure) jamming radar and commincations :) but just me agreeing with elctronic warefare on a Skeeter which would add to be more usful for the skeeter pilots :)

Daedalus
2003-02-20, 02:14 PM
Ok,this is getting pretty off topic...

Lillemanden
2003-02-20, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Daedalus
Ok,this is getting pretty off topic...
So fucking what!
As long as its about PS.

Anyway I like the jamming bomb, but I don't think it fits with the role of the skeeter. Maybe something like shotting a little "dart" with a transmitter, which if it hit a vehicle, it would start transmitting it's location on the continentel map to everyone (or maybe just commanders of a certain rank). And maybe also the kind of vehicle, and even its damage state.

SilentCacophony
2003-02-20, 06:14 PM
Skeeters would still be VERY useful. Sure a reaver can fight, but what if it runs into 3 others? Now add on 50 ground troops with rockets and other goodies.

This is why the skeeter is meant to scout. You can fly around much quicker, you're stealthed on radar (so I'm hearing), and if you do happen across a giant platoon, you can high tail it back to base and warn command. That's when you get the reaver's out there.

Headrattle
2003-02-20, 06:42 PM
Just to clearify this post. The origanal post was about the fact that they were still tweeking the landing towers.

Someone brought up the idea of using them to automaticly reload and repair the aircraft.

Then someone pointed out that the Skeeter could repair, so why have the tower.

That is when Rougue came in with the no repairing skeeters.

And if I remember correctly Sporkfire told the post that he should have updated that information earlier.

Sputty
2003-02-20, 11:54 PM
:huh: Everyone understood what it meant. We're discussing other things it could be useful for now and how it's use will be affected.

TheJrade
2003-02-26, 10:40 AM
My question is, if the Skeeter is radar-invisible, why would anyone use the Wraith, I mean, sure, the Wraith is "vision-invisible," but the Skeeter is probably much faster so you could fly most of the way there and walk the rest before someone else got halfway there in a Wraith, no?

Deadlock
2003-02-26, 11:34 AM
dont think the wraith shows up on radar either

Lexington_Steele
2003-02-26, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by TheJrade
My question is, if the Skeeter is radar-invisible, why would anyone use the Wraith, I mean, sure, the Wraith is "vision-invisible," but the Skeeter is probably much faster so you could fly most of the way there and walk the rest before someone else got halfway there in a Wraith, no?

If I can visually see the mosquito I can shoot at it.

If I can't visually see the wraith, I am going to have a tough time shooting it, even if it does appear on radar.

A wraith can probably maske it all the way to an enemy base without dying. It will be tougher for a mosquito to do the same.

TheJrade
2003-02-27, 07:31 AM
What I was saying was someone could fly most of the way there in the Mosquito, then land and get out and walk the rest of the way (in an Infil suit) and get there much faster than in a Wraith.

Streamline
2003-03-01, 05:10 PM
Alot of ifs...

If the towers had a repair feature. Then we would have lost nothing by loosing the Skeeters repair feature. Which is/was probably over powered. Which one posible reason it was removed. Another, is that they want to focus their efforts on what they do know and have already. Plus, this gives them something to release in future updates/patches.

Not everyone can fly. Reguardless of Certs... some ppl aren't gonna figure it out. PPL talk... but you really wont know til you have a chance to test out the physics. The more manuverable Skeeter, i'm guessing will have a higher learning curve to be really great at it. In air to air skirmishes, the hulkier Reaver will be no match for the Skeeter. Assuming the pilots are of relative equal skills and they don't nurf the Skeeter CG too much.

The Skeeter is probably also the most difficult craft for DEVs to balance. If it had a repair feature. You probably see nothing but these things flyin' around repairing things constantly. So, i'm glad its gone. Repair feature on the tower is a nice idea. But it makes you a motionless/defensless target for the duration of the repair.

I haven't heard anything about any other counter measures (CM). However, i like the tracking beacon idea. I think the EMP idea is overpowering the Skeeter. But i also think all flyers should have some other type of defensive CM. Which could be either onboard or part of an installation. Like the tower.

TheJrade
2003-03-02, 01:08 AM
It would be nice to having a flying repair vehicle. I do see what you are saying though, it would be silly if there were a zillion of them flying about.

Perhaps if the repair function only worked in the character flying it had the Advanced Engineer cert, then it would still be there for the people who wanted to spend the appropriate amount of attention developing this very powerful/useful ability, but not so easy to obtain that every chucklehead could jump into a Skeeter and support his favorite tank column.