PDA

View Full Version : coffins

Moloch
2003-02-10, 06:43 PM
So when you kill an enemy, they fall on the ground and *poof* turn into a little coffin? That sounds kinda silly to me, I hope it doesn't work that way.

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 06:46 PM
Dude, coffin is merely a term to explain a dead body, the body "becomes" a coffin because now they are dead. I doubt little coffins appear when you die

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 06:49 PM
ahahaha LOL that would be sweet *poof* and a little coffin you can open up and see the dead body inside and steal his shit.

But seriosuly No it is just a term:D

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 06:50 PM
Yup, way to go my NC Bruddah;) :)

Moloch
2003-02-10, 07:01 PM
well, I read that in the upper right picture of
http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/viewer.php?img_id=345

that page, the tr thing in the middle is a coffin. it sure doesn't look like debris to me, so that is my only guess.

SGDreyton
2003-02-10, 07:14 PM
You actually DO become a 'coffin' after you release. You actually will see a coffin on the ground. You can see it in the Gamespot videos also.

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 07:19 PM
it will have everything that you had on you at TD (Time of Death)
So you are sorta a grave robber when you steal weapons/ammo, etc. You open the coffin, and take what you want. =)

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 07:19 PM
Holly crap im wrong and wholy crap that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard ,WHY THE HELL would they do something so stuipid, this game is so awesome yet its things like this that are so freekin gay why the hell would you turn into a coffin ?:mad:

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 07:21 PM
Once again that is so stupid :mad:

Hamma
2003-02-10, 07:23 PM
Yea you dont instantly become a coffin :p

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 07:27 PM
So you dont turn into a coffin ? or you do but not instantly :confused:

Hamma
2003-02-10, 07:29 PM
You become one if you choose to die and go into the spawn queue, or after a timer runs out.

You dont just die, and become an instant coffin

WCruler
2003-02-10, 07:29 PM
Ok people calm down!

This is how it goes: You kill 30 people they all fall down and you see their bodies all dead and stuff on the ground, you go loot a few take some amo, and walk off with a smile. Ten minuts later all the bodies turn into coffins untill the bodies rot away like maby an hour later.

Coffins are made so after a huge battle and 100 people die all those pixels wont lag up that area. And it does not work where right before the guy you just shot hits the ground he falls into a coffin.

I hope you guys understand... I am 99.99% sure that is what happens b/c I have read alot of other posts like this and that is what other people said.

Falcon
2003-02-10, 07:31 PM
lol i would love to see the guy, the second he hits the ground *poof* a coffin lol it would be great. hehe. but not how it works

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 07:35 PM
So gay,im sorry the idea of the coffin is hella retarded, It will look so stupid, cany you run into them will your buggy get highcentered on em, why doesnt your gear just stay on the ground for a little while after your boddy disapears,will cofins be different colors for different factions, and why in the middle of a battle would boddies be turning into coffins, atleast when they do the sink into the ground it kinda makes sence .....anyways this just seems really stupid ,but I hope it will all make sence when I play the game:confused:

OmnipotentKiwi
2003-02-10, 07:46 PM
Repeat after me....
THIS IS A GAME

I am sure they did it for technical reasons, in reality, you would leave your corpse, but that makes the healers think they can rez you, which confuses them. Also, gives you a COMPLETE distinction over the dead and the released. If we want reality 1 death and it is, otherwise let it be.

MrVulcan
2003-02-10, 08:24 PM
lol, it will be funny shooting down a fully loaded galaxy, and see like 13 or so coffins fall from the sky....

and waht happens if they land on you? lol.... AHHHHH We need back up!! Were getting killed by flying coffins!! Run for your life!!!! lolololol :lol: :lol: :lol:

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 08:35 PM
Yeah it would be funny to see a whole squad suicide and *pop* a shwackload of coffins strewn about......im sorry but im having hard time gettin passed the coffins:(

Flameseeker
2003-02-10, 08:47 PM
I think after you die you become a body, then you wait for a medic to revive you. When you decide to stop waiting, you pick a spawn point, (ex: nearby AMS) then you turn into a coffin. It can be looted until you respawn. That's my guesstimate. I'm 75% sure I'm right.

Fire_Monkey
2003-02-10, 09:03 PM
they better look all awesomesweettightl33tness or they are gonne criticized like a female dog ;)

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-10, 09:08 PM
are the coffins gonna have a physical pressence,IE: can you run into them in vehicles or stand on em or hide behind em for cover ? .......so gay:(

Hamma
2003-02-10, 09:26 PM
They are not big enough to be used for cover. And I dont think they have a "physical" presense

SGDreyton
2003-02-10, 09:27 PM
They are very low the ground, so you couldn't hide under them.

From the GS video, it looks as if the guy just walks 'through' it. I would assume they do not effect vehicles or walking.

Kyonye
2003-02-10, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Moloch
So when you kill an enemy, they fall on the ground and *poof* turn into a little coffin? That sounds kinda silly to me, I hope it doesn't work that way.

like fire_monkey said, it will not become a coffin. it will not be like AoC where they become a grave

Deadlock
2003-02-11, 12:36 AM
the coffin thing could be worse, it could be some poor grunts job to go out and dig a hole for the coffins. sorta the equivalent to peelin potatoes for ur outfit, so count ur blessings

Nydes
2003-02-11, 12:44 AM
nah its the future!! coffins are above ground you dont bury them =)

hehe well i think its a weird idea, but i dont really mind, walking around all of a sudden you come up to a HUGE field of coffins.. that'd be scary... big battle took place there recently...

ABRAXAAS
2003-02-11, 01:29 AM
well ive just accepted it, i dont like it but its part of planetside,its like a really hot chick thats got this really anoying quirk but you do her anyways cause she's hot and deep down, you love her anyways so you just live with it ....and yah :D

Ludio
2003-02-11, 01:42 AM
Has anyone here who doesn't like coffins ever played another multiplayer FPS? Does you body stay around forever? No, it disapears and leaves something behind.

In TFC it left a backpack, in Counterstrike it leaves your gun and in BF 1942 it leaves your class kit. Many games leave something around for others to use when you die, this game is nice because it even allows you to wait until the timer runs out, or you choose to respawn. A coffin is just a different way of doing it.

KabuX
2003-02-11, 02:15 AM
In EQ they left bodies, but u could toggle whether or not u wanted to see the bodies. On big raids that go really bad there are so many bodies litering the floor...

The coffin thing for me isn't such a big deal. Think of em as nano coffins. Its a health issue.

Jaged
2003-02-11, 02:25 AM
coffins are stupid

DiosT
2003-02-11, 02:38 AM
remember that almost every single person is gonna look at least a bit different...

you get 120 people with mostly different looks on a battle field, you'll need a dual 3ghz p4 trying to process all the polygons on high resolution...

on the other hand, if 100 of them turn into 'basic' graphic coffins(which all look the same), you have lss memory & processor usage, which = LESS VISUAL LAG....

if they left the corpses there, when you turned in the the direction of the corpses you'd visually lag for 3-5 seconds... hey, cant a sniper reload in that time?

*Sniper shoots next victim*
*victim turns, lags out from trying to draw 100 different corpses*
*sniper shoots again*
*victim adds to the pile of corpses as sniper finds next target to shot while visually lagging*

Zoolooman
2003-02-11, 12:24 PM
This has to be the thing I worry about least in the game.

I'd rather worry about what the grenade models look like, than whether or not someone becomes a coffin when they enter the spawn queue.

SilverSky
2003-02-11, 12:47 PM
yea guys stop worrying about this. this is the least of all ur worrys. u should start worrying about Beta: if u get in it at the start or not.