PDA

View Full Version : Beta Interpretation Question

Khronos
2003-02-11, 05:12 AM
Hi,
I have a question about the mass external beta. In the AGN chat they said they would let people re-apply somtime soon, right?

Is there an age limit on the application or does anything go? Im not 18 yet so would i still be able to apply? (and maybe have a slim chance of gettin in...i hope;) )

If this was asked sometime recently, sorry, i must have missed the thread :love:

Squeeky
2003-02-11, 05:48 AM
You must be 18 to legally agree to the NDA. But what sony doesnt know,wont hurt them :)

Khronos
2003-02-11, 04:33 PM
haha :lol:
so i cant *legally* apply..okay thanks squeeky ;)

Arshune
2003-02-11, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but for mass beta they might possibly lift the NDA. Probably not, but it's *possible.*

DiosT
2003-02-11, 04:41 PM
always be careful when playing with the law...

I certainly wouldn't sign legally binding contracts behind your parents back while under age =p

Wish we had a lawyer that could explain the possibilities, I think your parents would be held accountable for any violations you cause, and be in even more trouble with the law because you signed a legal contract under age =p

and believe me, if they see you break the Non-disclousure agreement, they'll kick you're ass over it heh, I've seen it happen twice by Sony on their last beta, and i was yelled at for ridding the line heh

MrVicchio
2003-02-11, 04:45 PM
Recent legal actions in the world of the web may cause you to take pause.

Go search the following and it might scare you:

Kazaa being targeted by the Recording industry, they tracked down 100 Navy Cadets for copyright violations at the Naval Acadamy. Also tracked ONE user down by his IP.

Companies are starting to get serious about what people sign.. and seing as Sony has a lot of power.. what if they DID crack down?

�io
2003-02-11, 04:58 PM
I don't think there will be an NDA, 10k peeps = NDA going to be broken in 1 hour. :p

Hamma
2003-02-11, 05:00 PM
There is an NDA, you agreed to it if you signed up for beta :p

Khronos
2003-02-11, 05:16 PM
could I have like my father sign up for it..but then I play? or would that be breaking the contract :confused:

guess we'll find out once it rolls around eh?

Arshune
2003-02-11, 05:20 PM
The penalties for breaking an NDA aren't really all that serious though, they're something you want to avoid and they would incur charges, but it's not like you'd go to prison/pay an exorbitant fine. That's for the federal charges area though, if they sued you...that could get ugly.

Kadreal
2003-02-11, 05:47 PM
It' s simple, apply, don't break the NDA and everyone goes home happy.

Arshune
2003-02-11, 06:03 PM
In all honesty, you'd think they'd want a lot of teenagers to beta and help shape the game, they ARE the ones who buy the most video games after all.

Khronos
2003-02-11, 06:05 PM
Ya i wasnt even gonna apply in the first place if its gonna be a legal issue. I was just wonderin if there was gonna be a NDA for the second sign up.
Good discussion about it, and thanks for the help :D

Ill just wait and see if theres an NDA. If so, then i wont even worry about beta :love:

Cyber
2003-02-11, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Arshune
In all honesty, you'd think they'd want a lot of teenagers to beta and help shape the game, they ARE the ones who buy the most video games after all.

Nay, average age of a gamer is like 27 now.

Validuz
2003-02-11, 06:50 PM

As Cyber said, most are older (and thank God) because most teenagers could give a flying fuck about really beta testing. Thank God you have to be 18 to agree to the NDA. That way it'll keep most of the immature whinny 12-16 year olds from wasting a slot in the beta testing stage.

mistled
2003-02-11, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Khronos
Ya i wasnt even gonna apply in the first place if its gonna be a legal issue. I was just wonderin if there was gonna be a NDA for the second sign up.
Good discussion about it, and thanks for the help :D

Ill just wait and see if theres an NDA. If so, then i wont even worry about beta :love: Just sign up under your dad's name, but with your email address. As long as you don't break the rules, they aren't going to bother you. Just keep your mouth shut and be cool. :cool:

Validuz
2003-02-11, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Squeeky
But what sony doesnt know,wont hurt them :)

I hope that statement gets your chance killed. Its thinking like that, that people give out info they aren't supposed to, and pre-leases of games gets leaked out and hurts the companies making the games.

CrazyMike
2003-02-11, 07:11 PM
The penalties for breaking an NDA aren't really all that serious though, they're something you want to avoid and they would incur charges, but it's not like you'd go to prison/pay an exorbitant fine.

Not true.. not true at all. Did you even read the NDA from the beta signup? I did and let me tell you I was surprised at the language in it. If I'm not mistaken it even said that they would have at thier disposal the ability to apply to the court to have you jailed as a way to stop you from causing thier business harm. Now I agree thats not likely to happen, but as someone else pointed out in this thread.. in this day and age you would be a fool think corporations aren't going to come after you.

CrazyMike

Arshune
2003-02-11, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Validuz
As Cyber said, most are older (and thank God) because most teenagers could give a flying fuck about really beta testing. Thank God you have to be 18 to agree to the NDA. That way it'll keep most of the immature whinny 12-16 year olds from wasting a slot in the beta testing stage.

Statistically speaking, there's a lot more teenage gamers than older gamers though. It's becoming more common and acceptable for people who aren't kids to play games, but teenagers spend more money and actually play more...if you don't believe me, go ask a bunch of random adults and teenagers if they play games or not, I bet dollars to donuts the percentage of gamers is a lot higher in the teenage group than the adult group. That's why companies will cut blood out of their game to get a less severe rating, it secures more business.

And I take offense to whiny comment, not ALL teenagers are punks, that's just the stereotype. I'd love to beta Planetside and help make it a better game, but I won't get that opportunity just because I was born a few months too late. :(

Hamma
2003-02-11, 07:13 PM
I have the thing saved around here somewhere. But when I read it, i remember it being pretty stiff :p

Not somthing to mess around with.

Validuz
2003-02-11, 07:14 PM
I take offense to you taking offense to what I said. I never said "ALL tenagers..."

BLuE_ZeRO
2003-02-11, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by DiosT
always be careful when playing with the law...

Wish we had a lawyer that could explain the possibilities, I think your parents would be held accountable for any violations you cause, and be in even more trouble with the law because you signed a legal contract under age =p

We have about 200 lawyers here I could ask one of them :D

Validuz
2003-02-11, 07:15 PM
And I take offense to whiny comment, not ALL teenagers are punks, that's just the stereotype.

I take offense to you taking offense to what I said. I never said "ALL tenagers..."

Hamma
2003-02-11, 07:16 PM
I wonder if it is a violation to the NDA if i post the NDA? :eek:

Arshune
2003-02-11, 07:16 PM
What I meant by that comment was that they don't have much they could do to you for violating that agreement...the agreement can say that they can ask the local authorities to jail you, but do you think you would get jailed on a charge that frivolous? Not unless you were releasing the game files on an FTP or something. It's still a felony to break the agreement though, and that's not good for your record.

Arshune
2003-02-11, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Validuz

I know you never said ALL teenagers, but come on...you can't deny that you don't get that "ugh, those punk kids" sort of thought in your head from time to time. Heck, I get it and I'm a kid myself.

Validuz
2003-02-12, 02:40 AM
I know you never said ALL teenagers, but come on...you can't deny that you don't get that "ugh, those punk kids" sort of thought in your head from time to time. Heck, I get it and I'm a kid myself.
rofl...

The term I use is more along the lines of:
mother FING, stupid a**, insignificant little P***k, that's on his daddy's FING Dell computer, acting like a little badass, that is FING up my FUN!

But in all seriousness, I have many friends online (probably a majority) are under 18. But unfortunately the bad group of kids ruin it for the rest.