PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Card Suggestion

internetn
2004-11-11, 07:43 PM
Ok I'm not sure what is or is not compatable with my system, but I know I need a better card..

I got a

Processor: Athlon64 fx-51
Case: And I think I got a Coolance case with all that water cooled crap
Video Card: Raedon(SP?) 9800pro 128mb
RAM: 1 Gig

Now I have a bunch of other stuff in my machine(of course) and planetside plays perfect. But I can't run EQ2 on the super high settings, and even
COD: UF won't run on everything max, I don't even think about the new Medal of Honor game... but if you need anymore system specs just post... by the way, money is not a problem

MattxMosh
2004-11-11, 07:48 PM
If money is no object..

Wait a month, pick up an Nforce4 SLI board and slap in two PCI-E 6800gts.

Corrosion
2004-11-11, 07:48 PM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT

Good price, great card. GREAT for OC'in

edit: SOB Matt, that, also is a great choice.

Rbstr
2004-11-11, 07:52 PM
yeah if you have a k to spend on vid card and mobo, and you have to find a 940 socket NF4.

my 6800gt roxors my soxors full detail on eveything

internetn
2004-11-11, 08:45 PM
Ok thanks... It kinda bugged me when I spent $2000 and I can't have the graphics to the max on EQ2

BTW will any of the cards/whatever else you said fit in a coolance case?

MattxMosh
2004-11-12, 04:19 AM
Ok thanks... It kinda bugged me when I spent $2000 and I can't have the graphics to the max on EQ2

BTW will any of the cards/whatever else you said fit in a coolance case?

Anything should fit, as long as its a mid/full tower.

TotalBiscuit
2004-11-12, 11:41 AM
Not entirely surprising since ya skimped on the graphics card to be honest (still a fantastic option.. but the newest games are geared towards the newest cards for super-dooper hyper mega settings.

Go with Matt's option and have a super-death rig, but make sure your PSU is up to handling the extra load. Don't want it exploding and killing people.

TB.

Rbstr
2004-11-12, 03:31 PM
oh yeah matts idea needs an uber PSU, like 500watt

internetn
2004-11-13, 05:13 PM
Go with Matt's option and have a super-death rig, but make sure your PSU is up to handling the extra load. Don't want it exploding and killing people.

TB.

Don't worry bout the killing people part... I hide my CPU so no one can experience the greatness of it.. So I would only die.. alone..

Daleon
2004-11-15, 11:03 AM
You won't play EQ2 at max resolutions, period. Not if you want a smooth frame rate. Not even 2 6800 Ultra Extremes in SLI would. Unless they put out a model with 512 on each board, then maybe. EQ2 max settings, I mean everything maxed, are freaking INSANE. I can max every single setting, and the main thing that kills me is the shadows. Dynamic shadows are sickkkkk. I turn those to -1, disbaling them, still leaving some shadowing in game, and it speeds back up. I still have to turn a few other options down some to stay at a really nice fps. The smaller towns like Greystone and Nettleville and so textured and condensed and so many players in close confines if you got high res textures on and player models it eats all the memory your system has anywhere.

So really, just try and find a nice medium. Because even another $2000.00 in upgrades, I doubt you could do at "max" at high res. I haven't even tried turning on any AA\AF yet.

I don't think the FX-51 is an 939 chip either, so you can't get an NF4 board unless you buy a new chip. So you'd be looking at a whole new system.

NF4 SLI
AMD64 4000/FX-55
2 6800 Ultra PCI-Express
2 Gigs of RAM OCZ 4000 rev2 (Yes EQ2 will make use of it)
2 74g WD Raptor 10k RPM SATA

The above parts would get you pretty close though.