PDA

View Full Version : Overheating?

Boomer
2004-12-11, 09:12 AM
I have been having problems with overheating forever. I need to know what kind of cooling system to get, what to do, and how to fix overheating. Should i get another fan? or should I get a water cooling system.. I dont know. I am sick of games crashing because of overheating. I could use some tips.

Rbstr
2004-12-11, 11:01 AM
I don't know, whats your current solling setup? What are your current system specs? Are you overclocking? and What do the crashes look like?

n0tch
2004-12-11, 03:33 PM
The first rule of cooling is airflow. If the case you are using does not allow for cool(ish) air to travel into your case, then over your HSF and RAM and then out using the same size fans then you are on a downward slope to heat hell.

1. If at all possible, get a case that has 1 120mm intake and 1 120mm exhaust fan appatures. If your case has one or less fans then dump it.
2. If that is not an option, utilise round IDE/Floppy cables and generally cable manage to maximise flow through your case.
3. Make sure your HSF is either a size that the CPU manufacturer recommends, or bigger.( I know this is simplistic, but you get the idea)
4. If so, use a good quality hest transfer paste, such as ArticSilver 5 and make sure the seating is good between the HSF and CPU.

If you have followed all or any of these points and you are still having trouble, then something is wrong, or you live in an oven. Which is still wrong.

If you are worried about noise then 120mm fans is the way to go. Personally I watercool as well as using low speed 120mm fans. I have a 2500+ Mobile Barton running @ 2478mhz core @ 35C fully loaded.

I am aware that if I had more info about your system, I and anyone else could help you more, but these are just pointers.

Good luck, and reply with more info if you want more help.

n0tch

Boomer
2004-12-11, 05:41 PM
Rbstr:
AMD Athlon(tm) 3200 + 2.2 ghz <--- has a fan
1024 MB RAM
Shuttle AN35 Mainboard Motherboard (or something like that)
ATi Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB <--- No fan :(
Case: 1 fan slot. No fans in currently

Rbstr
2004-12-11, 06:14 PM
hmm i'd get a new case with some fans slots, you need atleast one in and one out, even if you have water cooling IMO
the 9600xt shouldn't need a fan if you manufacturer didn't put on on it

www.frozencpu.com (http://www.frozencpu.com)