PDA

View Full Version : Limeys

Jaged
2004-12-14, 07:03 PM
Im going to london on the 27th of this month. What do I need to know. Any slang or anything like that thats different from the states? Is it easy to change my american $$ for pounds or should I do it before i go? Is there anything else I whould know.

Im am going london to march with my school band in the new years day parade in London. There will be like a million people there and 351 million watching on tv. :eek: If anyone here watches it, look for the band dressed in shitty purple uniforms. Then look for the tallest clarinet. That would be moi.

Fragmatic
2004-12-14, 07:05 PM
You'll be on london THE DAY AFTER BOXING DAY?! Heh, gonna get nuked by shoppers!

Need a tour guide?

OfaLoaf
2004-12-14, 07:05 PM
Isn't it something around 2 dollars for a pound--or is it the other way around?

Brits can understand us Americans well enough, don't worry about slang.

Jaged
2004-12-14, 07:06 PM
Either way it would be nice to know the slang so I can understand when they speak.

Fragmatic
2004-12-14, 07:08 PM
Right now, $1 = 50p (�0.50).

You also may want to check out http://english2american.com/

DaShiznit
2004-12-14, 07:17 PM
Quid means "Pound"...that's about all I know. That and "Chip chip cheerio! Spot of tea gov'nor?"

Triggar
2004-12-14, 07:21 PM
Tube = the subway
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips
Tenner = �10 note
Note = bill
Nick = prison
DHITB = DHITB

Make sure you go to Marks & Spencer, they shouldn't be hard to find.

Have fun and get loads of pictures :p

Oh, and avoid the temptation to talk loud so everyone around you knows you're American. You'll just piss everyone off and make yourself look stupid. Trust me, when I lived there I wanted to punch my fellow countrymen for being so typically horrible.

Firefly
2004-12-14, 07:24 PM
HAHA

you're a dude...

and you play the Clarinet in the Band Geek Mafia.

Classic.

By the way - the secret handshake is left-right slap, right-left slap, up-down shake up-down shake, homie-punch homie-punch, finger point. That's from one band-geek to another (although I carried the Sousaphone or a tuba).

Jaged
2004-12-14, 07:25 PM
Cool, is there anything else aside from slang I should know?

Also, I might add my girlfriend is in the colorguard and is also going. A week in london with my girlfriend. :drools:

Fragmatic
2004-12-14, 07:31 PM
Cool, is there anything else aside from slang I should know?

Also, I might add my girlfriend is in the colorguard and is also going. A week in london with my girlfriend. :drools:

I could list too much slang, so I won't bother.

As for the week... trust me, you'll want to get out soon enough.

If you fancy harassing me, pm me and I'll drop you my mobile (cell phone) number

Edit - If you say "We saved your ass in world war two" to ANYONE, you will get punched in the face. HARD

Biohazzard56
2004-12-14, 07:41 PM
I could list too much slang, so I won't bother.

As for the week... trust me, you'll want to get out soon enough.

If you fancy harassing me, pm me and I'll drop you my mobile (cell phone) number

Edit - If you say "We saved your ass in world war two" to ANYONE, you will get punched in the face. HARD

Technically, the english channel saved you guys from Sea Lion.

ChewyLSB
2004-12-14, 08:07 PM
Technically, the British RAF saved Britain from the Luftwaffe.

AztecWarrior
2004-12-14, 08:20 PM
Technically, it was a variety of extreme tactical errors on the part of the Luftwaffe, not the least of which was opening up a second front right after having the tide of the war turned by the UK.

ChewyLSB
2004-12-14, 08:26 PM
Technically, it was a variety of extreme tactical errors on the part of the Luftwaffe, not the least of which was opening up a second front right after having the tide of the war turned by the UK.

Well, obviously. But people often overestimate America's impact in World War II, especially in the Eastern front.

AztecWarrior
2004-12-14, 08:28 PM
Well, obviously. But people often overestimate America's impact in World War II, especially in the Eastern front.
Ha, we helped the Eastern front? All I'm aware of is a few old P-39s that sucked and some Shermans we weren't using.

Had Hitler had one of those triple heart attacks and died, the generals would have gotten Germany's shit together, reformed for a massive pwnage on the UK while winning the desert, then maybe attacking the USSR.

But I digress. Have a nice time in London.

ChewyLSB
2004-12-14, 08:31 PM
Ha, we helped the Eastern front? All I'm aware of is a few old P-39s that sucked and some Shermans we weren't using.

Had Hitler had one of those triple heart attacks and died, the generals would have gotten Germany's shit together, reformed for a massive pwnage on the UK while winning the desert, then maybe attacking the USSR.

But I digress. Have a nice time in London.

Well, I mean, it's a general concensus that Hitler was a good speaker, but as a general, he basically puked all over himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even invent the Blitzkrieg, and it was one of his general's which invented it.

Rommel would've done a much better job, probably keeping the alliance with Russia for a little bit longer, and at least eliminating Britain from the war before attacking Russia. Once you eliminate Britain, America doesn't have a launchpad to attack from, and you can concentrate 100% of your forces on Russia.

Rayder
2004-12-14, 09:10 PM
Rommel "got sick" on the day of the uprising, which led to its downfall. Rommel was then given poison in the promise that his traitorness would not be exposed to the public, etc., etc. Had Rommel been there, I'm pretty sure he would have gotten in power.

Jaged
2004-12-14, 11:22 PM
This thread got derailed fast.

Darksim
2004-12-14, 11:34 PM
I know a bunch of limeys, I'll have em bug uyou.

Derfud
2004-12-14, 11:54 PM
If you have the chance, go up to harrow and get some Indian food. Best around, also check out the harrow boy's school while you are there (That is where Winston Churchill went to school, and squash was invented)

Hezzy
2004-12-15, 02:00 AM
"Excuse me while I go to Barclays Bank."
"Go away, I'm having a Tommy Tank"

etc

Fragmatic
2004-12-15, 02:06 AM
"Excuse me while I go to Barclays Bank."
"Go away, I'm having a Tommy Tank"

etc

I'm going to play with Mrs. Palmer and her five slut daughters.