PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorm]Donation idea

JetRaiden
2004-12-22, 10:04 PM
Ok, I have this idea for raking in donations.

On SomethingAwful, the site is completely run by 1 guy, who uses the site as a primary source of income. He just charges people for everything, basically.

Membership- $10
Platinum account (PMing, access to archives, hosting)- $10 (I believe), regular membership required
Changing your username- $35
Custom Titles- $10

Now that last one I believe can be applied to PSU. on SA, you can give another user a custom title of your choice. There are hundreds of these on the forums, ranging from "******" to "I LOVE FAR CRY ABOUT AS MUCH AS I LOVE GABE NEWELL'S FAT COCK IN MY RECTAL CAVITY, WHICH IS TO SAY I LOVE IT" all of which cost $10

Here's my idea/proposition:
-Implement a similar system at PSU, allowing users to change other user's titles for the price of $10 a piece.

I'm not pushing some dumb forum feature just so I can have it on my "home field," I merely think that this can bring in a steady flow of donations for PSU to expand/maintain.

That is all. Keep grammarless flames to a minimum.

Doop
2004-12-22, 10:16 PM
Dude, that would be PANDEMONIUM TOM. And I like that idea. PSU would be the nexus of shens.

Edit: I read that title as "Brain Donation Idea" =o

Biohazzard56
2004-12-22, 10:22 PM
Here are my thoughts, I dont like the idea of someone being able to change someone elses user name. Everything else I wouldnt have a problem with, I do think contributors from previous and more important donations (before PSU was hosted by MMHell) should automatically get Membership status and something else special, maybe the ability to set their own custom title. To show they they helped out when PSU needed it most. Gold Contributors should get everything, $100 is a big chunk of change and it should be will rewarded. But for realatively new people within the last few months the idea of being able to do these cool things is a neat and welcome idea.

JetRaiden
2004-12-22, 10:29 PM
change their title, not name.

Sputty
2004-12-22, 10:56 PM
Wow, PSU would die, except for the current "major" members

xmodum
2004-12-23, 01:17 AM
Ok, I already dont have money in life, we can barely ppay the fucking bills and food. Also there's the eve+WW2online subscriptions. If I had to pay to post or some shit like that, or someone gave me a dumb title, I'd leave.

JetRaiden
2004-12-23, 01:26 AM
Jetraiden, stop trying to bring SA over here, you silly billy.

:( it was worth a shot.

FlamingPotato-J
2004-12-23, 01:45 AM
It might work, but it also might be abused.

JetRaiden
2004-12-23, 01:47 AM
It might work, but it also might be abused.

thats the idea. :)

Hezzy
2004-12-23, 07:32 AM
Ok, I have this idea for raking in donations.

On SomethingAwful, the site is completely run by 1 guy, who uses the site as a primary source of income. He just charges people for everything, basically.

Membership- $10
Platinum account (PMing, access to archives, hosting)- $10 (I believe), regular membership required
Changing your username- $35
Custom Titles- $10

Now that last one I believe can be applied to PSU. on SA, you can give another user a custom title of your choice. There are hundreds of these on the forums, ranging from "******" to "I LOVE FAR CRY ABOUT AS MUCH AS I LOVE GABE NEWELL'S FAT COCK IN MY RECTAL CAVITY, WHICH IS TO SAY I LOVE IT" all of which cost $10

Here's my idea/proposition:
-Implement a similar system at PSU, allowing users to change other user's titles for the price of $10 a piece.

I'm not pushing some dumb forum feature just so I can have it on my "home field," I merely think that this can bring in a steady flow of donations for PSU to expand/maintain.

That is all. Keep grammarless flames to a minimum.

Dude, that would be PANDEMONIUM TOM. And I like that idea. PSU would be the nexus of shens.

Edit: I read that title as "Brain Donation Idea" =o

NO. PSU IS NOT GENMAY OR SA.

EDIT: I was actually thinking of this last night, but I came to the conclusion that Hamma isn't that shallow.

DOUBLE EDIT: So are you trying to say that you'll actually contribute if you get something out of it? That's rather defeating the point of donations.

Doop
2004-12-23, 08:48 AM
Meh Hezzy's probably right, if someone got in a fight and they had extra cash...they'd like, give eachother custom titles like Unholy Fatass and stuff. Funny but no-no.

Hamma
2004-12-23, 08:57 AM
Tried it, didn't work.

People on the internet think everything should be free.

ChewyLSB
2004-12-23, 11:04 AM
Tried it, didn't work.

Yeah, and anything that isn't free, people pirate. Because people are cheap.

JetRaiden
2004-12-23, 02:44 PM
NO. PSU IS NOT GENMAY OR SA.

EDIT: I was actually thinking of this last night, but I came to the conclusion that Hamma isn't that shallow.

DOUBLE EDIT: So are you trying to say that you'll actually contribute if you get something out of it? That's rather defeating the point of donations.

ahhhhh genmay sucks..NOT GENMAY! SOMETHINGAWFUL! they have 50,000 members(with 3,000+ online at any given time) and it seems to work for them.

Hezzy
2004-12-23, 03:24 PM
ahhhhh genmay sucks..NOT GENMAY! SOMETHINGAWFUL! they have 50,000 members(with 3,000+ online at any given time) and it seems to work for them.

I don't give a fuck. I don't want PSU turning into EITHER of them. Doop needs to cool down on the genmay stuff, and you need to cool down on posting without reading the actual post you're replying to.

EDIT: I know what SA is. I've got an account there. I'm not stupid enough to post dumb shit and get probationed.

Corrosion
2004-12-23, 03:31 PM
Tried it, didn't work.

Ya, but that was like 200 bucks for a title. :p

Ivan
2004-12-23, 03:41 PM
... I'm not stupid enough to post dumb shit and get probationed.
http://www.tridot.net/images/stuff/MiniManiOwned.jpg

MattxMosh
2004-12-23, 04:10 PM
I have a few short words to say.

SA isn't nearly as funny as it was 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to be an elitist snob, but I stopped posting and reading the forums there because its the same old garbage, and getting pumped full of little kids who get banned every 5 minutes.

Maybe I'm just and angry "old" man, when it comes to SA and Fark, when the main emphasis was having photoshop and writing talent that led to hilarity, not cliche, poorly made garbage.

I mean no offense to anyone.

To stay on topic: There is no way in hell that would work, this community is centered around a game, a totally different concept.

Infernus
2004-12-23, 04:13 PM
The majority of members would move on and not pay at all