PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Beta

Hamma
2002-11-06, 08:28 AM
How many people who signed up for beta understand what the first, closed portion is actually meant for? and, How many people have been in closed beta testing before?

Just curious, trying to spark some discussion ;)

TeamR
2002-11-06, 08:36 AM
Yup, I understand what its for.

Were gonna help squash bugs! :p

I participated in Earch and Beyond closed beta. It wasnt always a walk in the park. The servers were down have the time, and in the beginning there were many bugs and glitches to stump out. Even with all that, it was a great experience. I wasnt loooking forward to that game half as much as I am with planetside, so if i'm accpeted i think it'll be alot more gratifying.

Warborn
2002-11-06, 08:42 AM
Game balance issues are more my forte, but to answer the question, I'm interested in doing what it's for. The game has a lot of potential, and it partially rests upon the early testers to ensure that potential is reached, at least somewhat. All that I hope is that they accept the right people, and listen to what the testers have to say...

Speedy
2002-11-06, 09:14 AM
I've been in a few closed betas myself. I was in Asheron's Call 1 and 2 closed betas. As well as Dark Age of camelot, Tribes 1, and Allegiance. So I'm REALLY hoping my experience lets me in this beta. I have been looking forward to this game more than any game EVER for the past 3 years. And I've played games since the atari 2600. :/

Heh, actually I guess I really wanted any MMOFPS, but WW2OL really stunk. Plus I'm not really a fan of WW2 era stuff anyway.

HopeSlayer
2002-11-06, 09:31 AM
Well, the object of the first part of the beta, is to find as many bugs as possible. It's not so much as just going in a playing the game. But it's more a matter of trying every possible thing you can think of, to not only find the hard to find bugs, but to also find possible exploits in the game, that could possibly be used to gain an unfair advantage for an individual, or squad or whatever.

Hope out

Shiver
2002-11-06, 09:42 AM
I think most people understood what closed beta was all about, though maybe not everyone knows what to expect if they were accepted in to it.

By sods law, the beginning of closed beta will be extremely buggy and not everyone will be able to launch the game or connect to the server. The servers themselves will have their own issues and will only have a certain "up-time".

As for what we do in the game ... the devs decide that a bug occurs when players shoot at a wall for over 6 hours. They announce a time to boot up the server and ask lagging testers to immediately shoot this wall for 6 hours and to report on their findings. The server will go down in 6:15. The devs will hopefully rinse and wash out the bug and later in the week it will be the tester's task to repeat the last experiment.

Of course the above might be a bit of an exaggeration and beta could very well be quite different, but if you expect the worst you wont be dissapointed. Though you can rest assured that in closed beta, you belong to the devs :cool:

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 10:11 AM
If we get in, we'll be doing what ever we can to break the game so that it won't break on us later.

Lexington_Steele
2002-11-06, 11:27 AM
It sounds like the Closed beta for planetside is supposed to do the job that other games would take care of with two stages of beta. All the bugs/exploits/ballancing issues will be taken care of.

The developers description made it sound like the open beta was nothing more than a stress test. Atleast thats the impression I get.

Hamma
2002-11-06, 11:28 AM
Phase 2 wil be a stress test. When the open beta starts

xuur
2002-11-06, 11:44 AM
god, c'mon already! at least send out a few emails so I can be disappointed and move on with my life!!!!

:rock:

:stupid:

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 11:57 AM
I know the feeling.

I feel like the fat kid waiting to get picked for Dodgeball.

Hamma
2002-11-06, 12:14 PM
Im screwed then. I always got picked last :(

Lexington_Steele
2002-11-06, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should have put on my application: "I would be a good tester because I am good at dodgeball (not the fat kid)".

Shiver
2002-11-06, 12:28 PM
I should have put "good at breaking things" :p

We may as well settle in guys, it could be many weeks until any of us recieve a beta-mail ... that is if any of us do ... :o

Diviant
2002-11-06, 12:30 PM
In my old gym class, teams wouldn't pick the fat kids last because they could use them as a shield. :p

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 01:36 PM
I'm still the fat kid :(

HopeSlayer
2002-11-06, 01:39 PM
I totally agree with the example of expecting the worst. For those that haven't done a closed beta before, I think one important thing to remember or realize is not to judge the game to harshly. It could very well be a mess, and very frustrating at times. But, after all, that is what the beta is for. So when the final release comes out, everybody can enjoy a relatively smooth running game. Although, I have yet to see a game be almost flawless, even after months of beta testing. There is always something the everybody missed. But, that is what patches are for. Holy crap I ramble a lot. I'm gonna go get in that dodgeball line.

Hope out

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by HopeSlayer
...I have yet to see a game be almost flawless, even after months of beta testing. There is always something the everybody missed. ....

The only thing that comes to mind is Max Payne. I can't remember patching it at all, and if it did have a patch i'm not sure what for. The game was great right out of the box.

Then again, it's got to be a lot easier to find and fix bugs in a one player game.

Validuz
2002-11-06, 04:06 PM
xuur, you took that flame from Klingon Academy, im pretty sure ;p

xuur
2002-11-06, 04:28 PM
it could happen. I steal alot of graphics and images...did I say steal? I mean collect.

would you prefer I use something else?

oops:

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 04:43 PM
I kinda like the flame thing where ever it came from.

xuur
2002-11-06, 05:10 PM
ah...but then I also have this

http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/eye.gif

and these
http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/bmoon.gif

http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/krusty_smoke.gif

http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/atomic.gif

or even

http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/bite.jpg

or when in a :furious: mood, I could rip it out and show it to you still beating
http://members.cox.net/boba2/Sigs/heart.gif

so, thus ends the many moods of xuur.:rolleyes:

Unregistered
2002-11-06, 05:16 PM
The dog one rocks.