PDA

View Full Version : bundled V-O-IP program

HorusBickle
2005-05-09, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone,

i am curious about the voice over ip program that is in planetside. i haven't used teamspeak or ventrillo before and i wanted to just use it to chat with a freind who just started playing. getting a teamspeak server started just seams like more trouble than its worth for my purposes (at least at the moment)

i have searched the forums and came up with nothing. the search usuallly gives me teamspeak info. if anyone would like to point me in the direction of the bundled voip program i would appreciate it.

i have no idea where to find it or run it, but i am a fast learner who can do something when instructions are provided.

i appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Cheers!!!

HorusBickle

Electrofreak
2005-05-09, 08:19 PM
Gryphon runs a public Teamspeak server that you can join and create your own channels in.

Just download Teamspeak here: ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/teamspeak.org/releases/ts2_client_rc2_2032.exe

and once you've got it installed add a new server named "Gryphon LLC Pub", an address of 64.246.50.71:8768, a username you choose, and make sure the Anonymous box is checked in.

After you get in, right click on the default channel, select "Create Channel" and select a Codec like "Speex 16.3 Kbit" which should provide you pretty decent sound quality. Once you're in your own channel, invite your buddy in by giving him the IP. You can choose to password lock the channel as well if you don't want curious people hopping into yours.

You can also use a Push To Talk key or a Voice Activated setting. Simply go to the Settings -> Sound Input/Output Settings menu to select which you prefer, and assign a key or adjust the sensitivity of the Voice Activation.

Hope that helps. Believe me, Teamspeak is the best way to go IMO. If you want something a bit more simple, and doesn't require you to use someone elses server to host for you, I'd suggest you get Skype, which is an online telephone client. Only downside to Skype is that sometimes it can start to break up really badly and is thus a bit of a pain when you're trying to play a game. You can download it here: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype