PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered this in their assessment of the TRs AA?

Ait'al
2006-02-06, 04:46 PM
I dont know if anyone has noticed. But, since the Pounder(i think) was changed to AV they have had one less weapon to help defend from aircraft. If you get where i'm coming from. The cycler is much better for air defense than the pounder is. That has to be considered a huge loss. The DC is also a much better AV weapon than the pounder. When i think about it the only reason for the pounder to logically exist was to be an AI weapon. But my point is on the DC and its naturally opening to air against the TR.

I'm not saying this is some breakthrough comment. It just dawned on me how relevant and subtle that could be. And i'm sure we all know how important that kind of change is to empire specific defense.

Hamma
2006-02-06, 04:55 PM
What does this have to do with AA :confused:

Did you mean the burster? (or am I missing something :lol: )

Ait'al
2006-02-06, 05:01 PM
Alot of Air defense (AA) has to do with the extra stuff you have to fire at the aircraft to keep them off. Obviously if a pounder shoots at a reaver it will just laugh it off. But when the DC was still AV(and probly had decent AA damage) It would have left alot of firepower going off into the air at aircraft. (Beleive me useing it as AV used to leave alot of time to think about fireing at other stuff)That would have completely changed the scenario for TR even if they didnt realize it. I have been seeing alot of AA argueing from TR specifically and wonder if this is an unknown cause(a late side affect). No matter how weak the Dc AA could have been it still would have had considerable affects on the ammount of air cover everyone had. Even if it's just because of the way it fires. Not to mention its rapid fire and can scare air with a clever user regardless.

On top of that, with it being AI, it still has alot less reason to be outside and therefore alot less likelyhood than it would being AV, again, to be where it can hit aircraft. They can always up its AA damage even though it's AI, but, it still seems to just avoid the point and just means, atleast to me, with how illogical and unpractical it is to make AI maxes secondary AA, that it should just be made into AV again. I know people like to argue then about what you would do for AI, but, realistically I still dont understand why anyone ever complained about the pounder as AI to begin with(or see any logical explanation). Outside of balance issues I also always thought it was fun. Its the TRs pain in the butt defense weapon and gave them character and something to look forward to when you fought them. They are the Nasty overlord empire and that always gave them that quality.

BUGGER
2006-02-07, 12:39 AM
I miss when the Pounder was AI.......such easy kills.....both friendly and enemy.

There is that bug now (or is it a bug) that allows you to keep fireing while reloading with a Pounder. They actually are good uppressing fire in towers. I've seen two or three just sit outside the door and shoot down into the spawnroom. Great way to give some coverfire and still reletivly hurt soldiers and especailly MAXs.

No one else's AV max or AI max works great against Air. AI does do ok damage to vehicles, I'd like to say i've killed 3 Switchblades just by locking down and shooting them from afar.

The MAX's are ok as far as TR is concerned....but AV as a specialty really lacks.....AVness

Hamma
2006-02-07, 06:56 AM
Yea the pounder makes no sense to me - chasing after a vangard shooting grenades in all directions isnt my idea of good AV :(

Electrofreak
2006-02-08, 03:24 AM
The Pounder needs to be turned into more of a cannon platform than a grenade platform. Boost projectile speed, flatten the arc a tad more, reduce splash radius, and put something useful on secondary mode like a slower-firing round that has a large explosion radius on impact (like a mini AV artillery shell).

Ait'al
2006-02-08, 11:23 AM
I'd stil love to see the pounder as AI again. Its better for the game for it to go back. It propels the TR to use good indoor strategy with it And their other maxes too. The TR were just flat out designed to use heavy indoor and outdoor maxes with support. It is an integral part of the TRs empire strategy.

Without it nothing then is requiring us to have to think more and use our empires specific weapons that give us an edge on the situationa(or strategically figure out when to add in Common Pool). The game has just become flatter and flatter the way it is being changed/ It needs to go back and people need to learn to understand how drastically the difference in the empires should be. The more you can kill a situation where you can use any weapon you want the more strategic the game will become and the more exciteing. (sorry over edited)

I'm not going to enjoy this game again untill when you see an empire specific weapon you ahve to really think about what you have to do. You should be fighting different weapons all together when you go against the enemy not ones that just barely differ in range and power. How everyone keeps demanding it change is ludicrous. This was such a great game when i first joined.

BadDogEDN
2006-02-08, 05:04 PM
yeah i got tired of reading Ait'al long ass replies but here i what i have to say.. flak is overpowerd when it hits the target. But it moves soo slow and does like no damge to everything that isn't an aircraft. we need a striker aa max. and powder trick is awsome hehe

Hamma
2006-02-08, 06:17 PM
I agree on striker max, that would own. Burster sucks compared to the others imo.

Holgarth
2006-02-11, 03:49 AM
I agree that a AV max using slow indirect fire on fast moving vehicles seems very strange and I am seeing more and more that pounder max's are indoors taking out enemies armour to soften them up for others to take them out.

Thinking what could be done to help both these types of max was to make a secondary ammo type, along the lines of a rifle could have normal and AP rounds.

DC MAX, allow it to also fire AP rounds like the MCG can, AP rounds are not great vehicle killers but will give the DC MAX better options, this would be offset by the amount of ammo a max would have on them for each type i.e. 2 boxes of AP ammo means 2 less boxes of normal AI rounds.

AV MAX, make the normal round into a small cannon rather than a morter, make it into a smaller version of the prowler dual 100mm cannons, i.e. 50mm shells.