PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Sattelite DSL

Geist
2006-03-05, 05:41 PM
I'm just wondering where to get cheap sattelite DSL.

If not supposed to post this kind of stuff don't ban me,because if in rules I probably don't know meaning of word used.

Hamma
2006-03-05, 09:07 PM
Online gaming is not very reliable on a Satelite connection

Marsman
2006-03-05, 09:08 PM
Well first of all, there is no such thing as Satelite "DSL" - DSL is a phone line service. However, there is satelite internet available. Try a google search and I'm sure you'll turn up several providers. The problem with it however is it's horrible for gaming due to the high latency. Fine for downloads and browsing, but bad for things like gaming and Voice over IP.

Geist
2006-03-06, 12:13 PM
What about wifi?

Marsman
2006-03-07, 01:03 AM
Local WiFi is a much better choice - latency is not significantly different from wired connection. Speeds sure better than dialup also.

Sat Inet suffers because you route 22,000 miles and back from the client. to the spaceport before you even hit the net - its like your router is 44,000 miles away adding several hundred milliseconds to every packet. Once the data finally starts flowing, speeds are ok, but fast interactions really suffer from the round trip to space.

Wifi would be a much better choice for a gamer and probably cheaper too - Sat Inet generally tends to be on the expensive side to boot.

Geist
2006-03-07, 12:47 PM
Thanks,I'll probably be playing as soon as my dad can get a new ac adapter for our laptop.