PDA

View Full Version : Whoa. a 4.1 GHz Proceesor for $130?

Mag-Mower
2006-05-20, 09:04 PM
I just read this, I thought it was pretty amazing. This thing beats everything else, at a 10th the price. Guess Ill be getting one of these :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Setari
2006-05-20, 09:34 PM
I remember one video where these guys OC'ed an AMD to around 4 GHz and pulled the heatsink off. The thing blew a hole straight through the motherboard and the 1/2 inch wood table it was sitting on.

Also, I'm not so sure, but you could probably OC the top of the line processors too, and get more performance.

Mag-Mower
2006-05-20, 09:50 PM
But top of the line Processors are $1100+, this is $130.

Setari
2006-05-22, 07:15 PM
No shit, but I'm saying that you could get more performance out of an FX-60 than they would lead you to believe. The way they talk about high-end processors, you can't do anything to them. I said nothing about the D 805 being a bad deal.

Electrofreak
2006-05-28, 04:00 AM
Wow, pretty interesting. A hidden gem, and from Intel, who would have guessed?

Fragmatic
2006-05-28, 06:22 AM
I remember one video where these guys OC'ed an AMD to around 4 GHz and pulled the heatsink off. The thing blew a hole straight through the motherboard and the 1/2 inch wood table it was sitting on.

I've seen that, it's a great video :) It was an older Athlon XP though, which didn't have any failsafes on them - I believe A64's autoshutdown.

Also, I'm not so sure, but you could probably OC the top of the line processors too, and get more performance.

Not by much, as they're usually using the same cores clocked at different speeds.

Rbstr
2006-05-28, 01:15 PM
Essentialy processors are all made identical on the assembly line(were talking w/in one type of CPU core)

They are then graded, and put into bins corresponding to how well they test.

The best go into the top of the line pile, the worst go into the lowest cellron pile. The CPU's are then locked into the specific type they will be sold as.

Now sometimes demand for a lower end CPU is so high that they use the higher testing cores to fill the orders in.

Those higher testing cores, locked into a lower CPU grade, are the ones that make very nice overclockers.

Now I hear with some of the new manuf. processes yeilds can be very, very good and near every CPU is a top binned varriety, so all the lower end cpus have good OC potential.

Thoug I would not buy this, it gets warm enough in here already, I don't want a cpu that draws so many watts.