PDA

View Full Version : I don't care what the law says

Jaged
2007-04-23, 12:54 PM
http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/24518.html

Amazing story. Definitely worth the read.

Kyonye
2007-04-23, 01:52 PM
That was definately a worthwhile read..

Lartnev
2007-04-23, 02:25 PM
Thought it was cheesy as hell myself.

Jaged
2007-04-23, 04:35 PM
How was that cheesy?

Infernus
2007-04-23, 04:56 PM
I assume he means the narrative style.

As for the actual topic (which I will break into two parts, for extra-ultra-liberal-ness):

Part I:

Jury review is an affirmed and protected part of American legal culture, unfortunately theres 2 major problems, both of which were brought up in some way in the article.

1) Judge's don't have to tell jury's about it. It's plain and simple. And most Americans aren't educated enough to know about it anyway. That brings up a different issue though, that story has a Judge threatening to hold a lawyer in contempt for using jury review in their defense. That is unconstitutional, because jury review has been affirmed multiple times to be part of the supreme law of our land by the supreme court of our land.

2) A jury's powers are limited on a case for case basis. So all a jury can effectively do is say 'not guilty', and thats it. Mind you, the person can't be charged for that crime again to be brought before a so-called 'lesser minded' jury. That double jeopardy. But the jury has nothing in its power to make a certain "crime" legal.

Now for Part II:

There is no actually good reason for marijuana to be List I class drug. If anything, alcohol should be in its place. How many people get beligerent when they are drunk? How many people get beligerent when they are stoned?

Those are two radically different numbers. Trust me, no stoned person gets in fights... unless its over not having enough food. Whereas any number of huge fights are caused by drunk people.

Just take a look at movies for example: The bar fight is a common tool in many movies. The stoner fight?

Jaged
2007-04-23, 05:00 PM
But the jury has nothing in its power to make a certain "crime" legal

Yes, but just like in prohibition, if enough juries refuse to convict people on a certain unjust law the law will eventually change.

Peacemaker
2007-04-23, 05:15 PM
Excelent read.

Lonehunter
2007-04-23, 08:40 PM
This is my bible

Kyonye
2007-04-23, 10:42 PM
Yes, but just like in prohibition, if enough juries refuse to convict people on a certain unjust law the law will eventually change.

sorry to say, but weed will never be legal in this country.

Jaged
2007-04-23, 10:44 PM

You're probably right, but that doesn't change the fact that it should be.

OneManArmy
2007-04-24, 12:12 AM
I won't say its harmless because it, just like any other drug, has plenty of negative points, But making it legal could be a good thing. If its not a crime you remove the criminal element from it, and it becomes taxable. :)

I agree let people fuck up their lives however they want.

Lartnev
2007-04-24, 06:22 AM
How was that cheesy?

Over the angry rantings of the red-faced judge, all in the jury box looked calmly at John Straun, and felt proud to be an American.

I nearly threw up after reading that line basically. :sick:

Unfortunately that generally has the affect of fucking up other peoples' lives in the process.

Hamma
2007-04-24, 06:58 AM
I stopped at www.theconservativevoice... :p

Peacemaker
2007-04-24, 07:19 AM
I won't say its harmless because it, just like any other drug, has plenty of negative points, But making it legal could be a good thing. If its not a crime you remove the criminal element from it, and it becomes taxable. :)

Its sorta like the arguement with guns, outlaw it and it just makes the price go up, and really bad guys get it to people.

OneManArmy
2007-04-24, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately that generally has the affect of fucking up other peoples' lives in the process.[/QUOTE]

yes but we can't let a few innocent people get in the way of their right to do so.

Lonehunter
2007-04-24, 11:01 AM

I bet people thought the same way about slaves.
They'll never have rights, or own a gun, or be free. That's just insane, why would we do that? Things are SO great as they are. I can't imagine what it would be like with free black people running around.

No one knows what our country will be like in 50 years.

Fortunately the only way you can predict the future is to HELP MAKE IT.
People like the ones in this article realized that. You want your country to change YOU have to DO something about it.
I think that was the idea when the country was created, doesn't happen as often as it used to.

Electrofreak
2007-04-24, 11:49 AM
I stopped at www.theconservativevoice (http://www.theconservativevoice)... :p

Same here. I try to avoid news reports with a political agenda.

OneManArmy
2007-04-24, 12:21 PM
oddly enough though the story sounded quite liberal

Electrofreak
2007-04-24, 01:02 PM
oddly enough though the story sounded quite liberal

As liberal as I am, I try to avoid news biased towards them as well.

I just don't trust the media anymore, as sad as it is. Even CNN has been making me sick recently. FOX is bad enough, as conservative as it is, without CNN preening the liberal viewpoint more and more often.

Can't people just STFU and tell the news anymore?

Infernus
2007-04-24, 03:10 PM

My life is quite good, and I smoke weed.

I'm ok in college, I'm not stealing money from my friends and family to get my "fixing"... oh wait, I don't need fixings, THC isn't physically addictive.

And it isn't a "gate-way drug" either.

If you smoke weed, and it fucks up your life, you need to take a serious look at your life before you started smoking, because chances are it already sucked.
I smoke weed, I have no want or need to do anything more then smoke weed... because its basically impossible to build up a tolerence to weed. Weed will always get me just as high as I want to be.

Peacemaker
2007-04-24, 06:50 PM
I acctualy just recently started smoking. Its pretty nice. Its not alcohol which I should stay away from considering the 3 months of AA I had to try and kill it. I only smoke about once every 2 weeks and its a nice way to relax and chill. I dont drive, I dont go to work. I dont know why for the love of god its illegal. Smoking cigarettes is more detrimental, believe me I know, Im addicted to smokes too.

Hamma
2007-04-24, 08:23 PM
Can't people just STFU and tell the news anymore?

That's like asking the earth to rotate in the opposite direction :p Even local news is taking a shit now.

OneManArmy
2007-04-24, 09:55 PM
My life is quite good, and I smoke weed.

I'm ok in college, I'm not stealing money from my friends and family to get my "fixing"... oh wait, I don't need fixings, THC isn't physically addictive.

And it isn't a "gate-way drug" either.

If you smoke weed, and it fucks up your life, you need to take a serious look at your life before you started smoking, because chances are it already sucked.
I smoke weed, I have no want or need to do anything more then smoke weed... because its basically impossible to build up a tolerence to weed. Weed will always get me just as high as I want to be.

good for you, I smoked cigs and never got addicted. everyone handles things differently. Just like you think smoking some dudes pole is hot, others do not.
I have several friends who constantly smoke weed and it has fucked up their lives. they are broke spending most of their money on it and thats about all the really live for or do.

I never said weed was some horrible death drug. I just simply said make it legal and let people fuck up their lives just like they do with alcohol and tobacco.

Rbstr
2007-04-24, 11:21 PM
Weed can be psychologically addicting. Yeah you don't go though physical withdrawal but its as hard to quit as say biting your nails.

Though it won't ever end up killing you and it fucks up your lungs far far far less than cigs.

It's in my opinion less dangerous than alcohol and should be legalized with similar restrictions as alcohol.

Sentrosi
2007-04-26, 12:38 AM
Yeah you don't go though physical withdrawal but its as hard to quit as say biting your nails.

I've bit my nails my entire life....

Peacemaker
2007-04-26, 06:58 AM
Weed can be psychologically addicting. Yeah you don't go though physical withdrawal but its as hard to quit as say biting your nails.

Though it won't ever end up killing you and it fucks up your lungs far far far less than cigs.

It's in my opinion less dangerous than alcohol and should be legalized with similar restrictions as alcohol.

Acctualy smoking a joint is equivilant to smoking like 5 cigs or something. Although you probably wont be lighting up every hour - three like I do with cancer sticks.

Infernus
2007-04-26, 04:31 PM
The usage of the word "cigs" makes me think that we're in the yard, watching bubba get his shit fucked up because he fucked up on jimbo's tat because jimbo wasn't gonna pay him the ammount of cigs he wanted.

OneManArmy
2007-04-26, 09:35 PM
thats why the internet is wonderful, neck bearded rednecks can talk to gay city yuppies.

Lonehunter
2007-04-26, 09:43 PM
The usage of the word "cigs" makes me think that we're in the yard, watching bubba get his shit fucked up because he fucked up on jimbo's tat because jimbo wasn't gonna pay him the ammount of cigs he wanted.

what the fuck

Peacemaker
2007-04-26, 09:55 PM
thats why the internet is wonderful, neck bearded rednecks can talk to gay city yuppies.

The neck beard is long dead. But I am still a redneck. And infernus is still a gay city yuppie.

Rbstr
2007-04-27, 12:22 PM
Inf is not a young urban professional.

He's only in training right now.