PDA

View Full Version : Game crash from Vista?

Stizzossk
2007-05-09, 07:14 PM
EDIT: You may have stumbled upon this from google. If so check this out:

1. A new patch is coming. We're going to be fully Vista compliant among other things and bug fixes / anti-hacking work.

2. Planetside fans will be happy We have big things planned in the next 12 months. We're working on something new that's really cool.

Source: http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-updated-planetside-2-in-the-works-2335.htm

In order to get planetside to work in Vista you need to do the following: (Info provided by ThePodster)

Install it
Run the program compatability wizard and select "Planetside" to run with the following settings:
Use Windows 95 Settings and Disable the last three visual components
Turn off the Side Bar
This will get it running (you may get a file error, but click ok and it's fine), but it will be a LOT slower than you're used to. In order to get it back up to speed I recommend stopping several non-essential services (for the duration of your play).

These can be achieved using a script (see below) in a .bat file. Just remember to start them again or reboot after play.

@echo off
Echo Stopping services ready for planetside... Press any key...
pause
Net Stop "Function Discovery Resource Publication"
Net Stop "IP Helper"
Net Stop "Offline Files"
Net Stop "Portable Device Enumerator Service"
Net Stop "Print Spooler"
Net Stop "ReadyBoost"
Net Stop "Secondary Logon"
Net Stop "Security Center"
Net Stop "Superfetch"
Net Stop "Tablet PC Input Service"
Net Stop "Terminal Services"
Net Stop "Windows Defender"
Net Stop "Windows Search"
Net Stop "Windows Update"
echo Completed... Press any key to go back to windows
pause

Hope this helps,

Podster.

Alternate Compatibility settings (From iONLYkillVS)

iONLYkillVS was telling me this combo might work better.

Launchpad:
Mode: 95
Admin Rights

Planetside:
Mode: NT 4.0 SP5
(And check the bottom 3 boxes)*
*Gathering details

Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000005971

I am currently running Windows Vista 64-bit and decided to pick Planetside up again. It installed and updated, and lets me enter the server selection/character selection screens. Once I try to enter the game however, the loading screen blacks out, followed by the game crashing. My friend with different computer parts tried it out with the same OS and found the same exact problem. We also found that if we DL the low quality sound files, we're are able to enter the game without it crashing at load.

Does anyone know of similar issues like this out there? The game's support service is useless, seeing as how 3 seperate calls lead to 3 seperate, unhelpful answers. :doh:

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+
Radeon x700
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
nFORCE4M-A Motherboard
2gigs of nice Corsair RAM (They work, trust me.)

Ant001
2007-05-12, 03:01 PM
I'm having the same problem ..just got a new pc with vista and after installing PS I can't get it to work. I can log in and pick my server and char but as soon as it goes to start it crashes. Tried downloading the low sound but still no joy ..anyone got any ideas???

Ant001
2007-05-12, 06:41 PM
I am now getting cannot find file file:///c:/Programs%20Fi...:blank&charid=adb8efc86f3de2dbd30c936fda11790984e5da51 anyone know what I need to do ??

Ant001
2007-05-13, 04:24 AM
s

RagingOg
2007-05-13, 08:43 PM
I am currently running Windows Vista 64-bit and decided to pick Planetside up again. It installed and updated, and lets me enter the server selection/character selection screens. Once I try to enter the game however, the loading screen blacks out, followed by the game crashing. My friend with different computer parts tried it out with the same OS and found the same exact problem. We also found that if we DL the low quality sound files, we're are able to enter the game without it crashing at load.

Does anyone know of similar issues like this out there? The game's support service is useless, seeing as how 3 seperate calls lead to 3 seperate, unhelpful answers. :doh:

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+
Radeon x700
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
nFORCE4M-A Motherboard
2gigs of nice Corsair RAM (They work, trust me.)

**exact same situation here, and I have a friggin ALIENWARE!**

Rbstr
2007-05-17, 03:54 PM
It could be that PS is simply not compatible with vista?

Also: Name brand desktop computers mean nothing for reliability.

m45killer
2007-05-20, 12:00 PM
I'm getting the same problem:
the error with the ///c:blank&char...
And once I've loaded I crash

System:

Vista 32 Bit
Same AMD processor.
1Gb Ram
7900 Nvidia Geforce
150 gb Sata Hard drive

I'm pretty sure it's a compatibility problem....Back to XP for me....I'll update soon

m45killer
2007-05-21, 06:18 PM
Problem fixed. PS is not compatible with Vista.

cromag
2007-06-15, 05:01 PM
well isnt that all fun and game... well neither actually :(

vista 32 same problems, no sollution i guess :(

this blows, incredible how this vista isnt backwards compa with almost anything of xp, but still idd like to play Pside damned! :p

no word from soe and their never working website?

cromag
2007-06-16, 05:20 AM
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?start=75&topic_id=88000005971

this might solve it, worked for me