PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

Kyonye
2011-04-07, 09:11 PM
So, we all know that you can't swim in PS. If in PS:N they have a sizable water source, do you think swimming should be a capability? If so, what armor types should be allowed to swim, or for how long should each armor type be allowed to stay afloat before getting too tired to swim?

Devinator
2011-04-07, 09:14 PM
maybe for PJ's or infil suit... pretty sure that armor is designed to protect you from damage not for swimming.

Hamma
2011-04-07, 09:22 PM
Yea swimming is needed always thought it was dumb you couldn't.

Sirisian
2011-04-07, 09:30 PM
I honestly don't see why you shouldn't be able to swim in any armor. As long as you're slowed down a bit it makes sense. You're already an open target.

Furret
2011-04-07, 09:59 PM
Sirisian, I want you go go to the nearest pool, strap about 40 pounds of metal to yourself, and swim a few laps. Prolly not very easy.

I think swimming would be cool, but obviously not possible for MAX and REXO users, and agiles lose stamina very quickly while swimming. lets say nakey and infil are semi floaty so you lose stamina very slowly.

If you're out of stamina for swimming, you sink to the bottom like you do now.

Sirisian
2011-04-07, 10:21 PM
Sirisian, I want you go go to the nearest pool, strap about 40 pounds of metal to yourself, and swim a few laps. Prolly not very easy.

I think swimming would be cool, but obviously not possible for MAX and REXO users, and agiles lose stamina very quickly while swimming. lets say nakey and infil are semi floaty so you lose stamina very slowly.

If you're out of stamina for swimming, you sink to the bottom like you do now.
I'm not really a fan of realism in games. Do you think it'll hurt gameplay to allow people to swim up and down in the water? The current system in the game is kind of lame. I wouldn't have minded jumping off the side of the bridge into the water and maybe climbing up a ladder or pulling myself out of the water.

Part of me thinks that it wasn't in the original because it took too much time to implement so they just made the character walk along the terrain slowly.

SgtMAD
2011-04-07, 10:53 PM
are you f'n kiddding me?

Furret
2011-04-07, 11:26 PM
But there's definitely some realism that needs to be there, the most extreme being gravity obviously =p.
hmm, maybe don't think of not being able to swim in REXO as a punishment, but instead a merit for using agile/infil/nakey.

And if you're going to go to all the trouble of posting, you should probably state an opinion, or something intellectual. A good question to answer would be: What's f'n kidding you, or why is it.

TRex
2011-04-08, 01:27 AM
I saw the title of this and just had visions of Jacques Custeau , underwater bases and players carrying harpoons and riding around holding onto mini-subs ..alongside the naval warfare talk from the other thread.

Heaven
2011-04-08, 03:01 AM
I think all armour should be able to swim bar max units as that would prove difficult, errm yeah all armour to swim but the heavyer your armour the slower you swim :)

Ant001
2011-04-08, 03:32 AM
NO NO NO NO
bridge fights were one of the best parts of ps..they could go on for days.

Peacemaker
2011-04-08, 03:56 AM
Internal buoyancy compensator in armored suits really isn't that far out side of the realm of possibility. Id say sacrifice a pistol slot for a buoyancy compensator. Without it you drown relatively fast. It'd be nice for frog man teams to exist in this game honestly. No rexo tho.

Oty
2011-04-08, 05:54 AM
no swimming, or just maybe for < 5 seconds, face it: you are wearing armour, even thin armour is hard to swim in! (its heavy to swim with clothes on god dammit!) you carry ammo and you usually carry several guns ---> water is a cold and deep grave for any soldier, unless you're a fan of walking on the bottom of the ocean. However an oxygensupply and walking on the ocean floor would not be too far off though.

however there could be a swimgear cert for infiltrationsuit if there is a naval aspect of PS:N that I could agree with but not any other armour...

Lonehunter
2011-04-08, 07:32 AM
Swimming can be put in and still have geographical challenges like bridges. I would think the use of swimming would only be put in for people who drive into a body of water, or a cloaker running from aircraft. It shouldn't be a viable way of bipassing a bridge, but it is strange people can't swim in the future.

LordReaver
2011-04-08, 08:13 AM
I think it would require stamina drain.

Kyonye
2011-04-08, 09:05 AM
I feel that people should be able to swim. the heavier the armor, the slower you go. I don't think it should take away from stamina, because you're already an open target with no way of defending yourself. Although, maybe you could use the sprint ability in the water as well, which would then take away from your stamina. Obviously MAX suits would be a no go for swimming.

Raymac
2011-04-08, 11:34 AM
NO NO NO NO
bridge fights were one of the best parts of ps..they could go on for days.

I voted yes, but this ^ is my main concern. Having natural bottlenecks like bridges made for fantastic battles. I think there is room for swimming, limited swimming, so I like the idea of it draining stamina.

For example, we've all probably fought a number of times at Leza in south Cyssor. If people could just swim across the water there, I think it would take away from the fights. Obviously you'd still need the bridge to roll vehicles over, but swimming too far and too quickly would take away from battles like that.

LordReaver
2011-04-08, 11:52 AM
To elaborate on my view of stamina drain.

Swimming has the potential to provide a large buff to people using the water simply to deny someone a kill. They would go down, wait, pop their head back up, then go down again (Think VS MAXs, and early BFRs). Stamina drain gives the person something they have to manage or risk killing themselves, in return for added safety. To make it work, the user would sink like normal, unless they are pushing jump, elevate, special, or whatever. That way, it only uses stamina when a button is being pressed.

basti
2011-04-08, 12:11 PM
Swimming can be put in and still have geographical challenges like bridges. I would think the use of swimming would only be put in for people who drive into a body of water, or a cloaker running from aircraft. It shouldn't be a viable way of bipassing a bridge, but it is strange people can't swim in the future.

We can fly, hover, drive, teleport. Why the hell should we swim? :D

Lonehunter
2011-04-08, 12:28 PM

Someone was concerned about people swimming around bridges, I'm just saying swimming should be slower then walking so it doesn't become a popular alternative to built in combat choke points like bridges

Diddy Mao
2011-04-08, 01:21 PM
I look at it like this, someone swimming = easy target, if they gotta move armor they still gotta use bridges so those will always be choke points. even a squad in the water swimming across would get picked off unless they go ridiculously out of the way to cross, which would cut down time let alone it'd be better to just fly

Mag-Mower
2011-04-08, 04:31 PM
In the Agile/Infil yes, and yes to stamina drain.

Kyonye
2011-04-08, 11:14 PM
I feel that since a swimmer is an open, easy target... why add insult to injury buy having it drain stamina? If PS:N has a layout anything like PS, then there is no such thing as a small river. The rivers are wide.

Baneblade
2011-04-09, 02:02 AM
I've always thought it was patently retarded that there was even a remotely applicable oxygen limit on battlesuits made out of nanites.

But, I do think there should be a special suit for enhanced aquatic movement to go along with suitable aquatic content.

LordReaver
2011-04-09, 03:51 AM
I feel that since a swimmer is an open, easy target... why add insult to injury buy having it drain stamina? If PS:N has a layout anything like PS, then there is no such thing as a small river. The rivers are wide.

You have to remember, that people wouldn't stay on the surface the whole time. They would just come up for air, then go back down.

wildcat140679
2011-04-09, 04:22 AM
Say No to swimming.
Unable to swim across turned bridges made ideal chokepoints for all land based units, with the exception of a few vehicles.
Many great battles I've memory off taking place at one side of the bridge with the enemy on the other side.

If Swiming does make it's way in to the game than I hope only the armor types infiltrator suit and standard armor will be able to stay afloat, all other armor should drop you like a brick stone.

Kyonye
2011-04-09, 06:51 AM
You have to remember, that people wouldn't stay on the surface the whole time. They would just come up for air, then go back down.

I was even thinking about underwater swimming. I'm simply thinking about being able to swim across the surface of the water. But, if it's underwater swimming then I can see some stamina drain.

Baneblade
2011-04-09, 03:38 PM

Why would they need to come up for air? They are already breathing recirculated air, assuming they are in Reinforced or a MAX suit.

Furret
2011-04-09, 03:47 PM
Sobekus: I assume the air isnt recycled, and is instead cycled through the suit via invisible air vents that would of course not work under water.

Wildcat: Completely agree.

Mightymouser
2011-04-09, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't really have a problem with swimming; I just don't see much of a use for it? I can count on my fingers the number of times I've wanted to swim across rivers in my nearly 8 years of playing PlanetSide; and most of those would probably be times when my vehicle died floating across.

I've run under a few bridges during bridge-fights; but that was really just laziness on my part, not wanting to get a mossy to hot drop behind the enemy.

As for realism; swimming with weights really isn't as hard as you might think; it's easier to swim with a lead vest than it is to run...

LordReaver
2011-04-09, 05:03 PM
Why would they need to come up for air? They are already breathing recirculated air, assuming they are in Reinforced or a MAX suit.

To reset the timer... I don't know why this needed explaining.

Tiberius
2011-04-10, 04:29 AM

So we can do navy seal ops in our PJs, duh!

Heaven
2011-04-10, 04:50 AM
they could maybe put a swim timer in the game like the one from the legend of zelda wind waker, although that one is too short, but atleast we could swimfor a certaint amount of time, plus i think swimming is a must in the game, it might not be used much or whatever but its swimming why cant troops swim... we have weapons of mass destruction and guns that fire lasers but we cant swim... i think it ould be good for troops that use aircraft and get shot down so they can bail out and try and swim away or if they do decide to have boats in the game then i think swimming is a must :)