PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Modifications

Senyu
2011-05-03, 09:20 PM
WARNING LONG POST

I have made this thread before but decided to revise and polish it some. This is practical implementation of various vehicle modifications and examples of some.

2 Main types of vehicle modifications could be implemented if not both,

Augment:Similar to Implants but for vehicles

Engineer Upgrades:Engineers apply this to already spawned vehicles

Augment:
Augmenting is a process similar to Implants. In such it is multiple unlock-able abilities and buffs that are applied to vehicles you own. These augments are set ahead of time and are permanent until altered. In such it is similar to have a saved version of a vehicle. One with the augment and one without it. Each vehicle can have its own set of augments. The long run is to have many augment types for the variety of vehicles you will have access to.

Some examples of the abilities Augment can provide

Jammer:Vehicle has a 15% chance of next weapon that targets the vehicle to be disrupted and miss causing the weapon to hit next to or above the vehicle. Jammer has 15 second cooldown per Jam.

Nanobot Hull:When vehicle has not taken damage for 20 seconds, it begins to heal at the rate of half that of a basic engineer

Thrusters:For 3 seconds the vehicles speed is increased. Lighter vehicles benefit from this more than heavier ones.

Some Augments would have to have prerequisites before attaining and keeping them such as having the Vehicle Cert that allows you to gain your factions heavy tank would have access to these Augment (Vanu Examples)

Stabilizers: Increase hover speed over land and water

Magnetic Rail: For short duration main turrets rate of fire increases. Afterward the main turret is unable to shoot for a short amount of time

Or those with the highest command rank would have special access to this. Non-stacking of course

Empire's Lead:All nearby allies receive 5% increased XP gain

Augments are more active abilities and of course would be balanced and discussed. And if any empire specific augments such as the Vanu Mag Rider example were included, much debate would go in as to how they would be balanced and represent their factions abilities.

Engineer Upgrades
As for Engineer Upgrades here it is as follows
Advance engineers can apply an upgrade to already spawned vehicles. A pop-up window appears showing a list of available upgrades for that vehicle. Once an engineer chooses an upgrade a pop-up appears for the owner of the vehicle saying Name of player trying to install Name of upgrade. Accept or Deny. If the engineer owns the vehicle this last pop-up does not appear. Some upgrades are listed below.

Reinforced Hull: Vehicle's armor is increased while reducing speed

Light Frame:Vehicles speed is increased while reducing its armor

Turret Performance:Vehicles turret turn speeds are increased

Engineer upgrades would be more passive and less game changing. Please review and critic these as they would need much balancing and innovated ideas but could add to the game in a very good way.

Furret
2011-05-03, 09:58 PM
WARNING LONG POST

I have made this thread before but decided to revise and polish it some. This is practical implementation of various vehicle modifications and examples of some.

2 Main types of vehicle modifications could be implemented if not both,

Augment:Similar to Implants but for vehicles

Engineer Upgrades:Engineers apply this to already spawned vehicles

Augment:
Augmenting is a process similar to Implants. In such it is multiple unlock-able abilities and buffs that are applied to vehicles you own. These augments are set ahead of time and are permanent until altered. In such it is similar to have a saved version of a vehicle. One with the augment and one without it. Each vehicle can have its own set of augments. The long run is to have many augment types for the variety of vehicles you will have access to.

How would someone acquire these augments. Would they be available as certifications after certing a vehicle? (example: cert ATV, then for one extra cert get thrusters. All extra augments after the first one cost two certs each to stop players from making 'uber vehicles'.)

Some examples of the abilities Augment can provide

Jammer:Vehicle has a 15% chance of next weapon that targets the vehicle to be disrupted and miss causing the weapon to hit next to or above the vehicle. Jammer has 15 second cooldown per Jam.

This could also have the same effect as a jammer grenade, although maybe that would be a bit too powerful.

Nanobot Hull:When vehicle has not taken damage for 20 seconds, it begins to heal at the rate of half that of a basic engineer

Thrusters:For 3 seconds the vehicles speed is increased. Lighter vehicles benefit from this more than heavier ones.

Some Augments would have to have prerequisites before attaining and keeping them such as having the Vehicle Cert that allows you to gain your factions heavy tank would have access to these Augment (Vanu Examples)

Stabilizers: Increase hover speed over land and water

Magnetic Rail: For short duration main turrets rate of fire increases. Afterward the main turret is unable to shoot for a short amount of time

Or those with the highest command rank would have special access to this. Non-stacking of course

Empire's Lead:All nearby allies receive 5% increased XP gain

Augments are more active abilities and of course would be balanced and discussed. And if any empire specific augments such as the Vanu Mag Rider example were included, much debate would go in as to how they would be balanced and represent their factions abilities.

Engineer Upgrades
As for Engineer Upgrades here it is as follows
Advance engineers can apply an upgrade to already spawned vehicles. A pop-up window appears showing a list of available upgrades for that vehicle. Once an engineer chooses an upgrade a pop-up appears for the owner of the vehicle saying Name of player trying to install Name of upgrade. Accept or Deny. If the engineer owns the vehicle this last pop-up does not appear.
What does this require? Combat engineering I? II? Perhaps a new level after engineering I, costing 2 certs, that allows you to upgrade all vehicles or turrets
Some upgrades are listed below.

Reinforced Hull: Vehicle's armor is increased while reducing speed

Light Frame:Vehicles speed is increased while reducing its armor

Turret Performance:Vehicles turret turn speeds are increased

Engineer upgrades would be more passive and less game changing. Please review and critique these as they would need much balancing and innovated ideas but could add to the game in a very good way.

Comments in orange, too tired to do any thinking about other upgrades/etc.

Redshift
2011-05-04, 11:27 AM
I'd rather they gave medics some love :P

Senyu
2011-05-04, 12:15 PM
Obtaining Augments in one scenario could be 1 Augment type per 4 levels. This way, it takes time to unlock multiple Augments and allowing you a variety to apply to your variety of vehicles you can also obtain over time.

On the jammer grenade how about it just causing all weapons it hits a chance to do that for duration as well as canceling implants and everything else it does

To be honest Hacking and Engineering need to be simplified. Unless everyone likes how it is. Personally I think there should only be 3 tiers of each. Liked 3rd tier of hacking holds data corruption and its counter part. While 3rd tier engineering has all the new ones it has now. This however would fall under 2nd tier engineering perhaps.

Lol, always forget the medics. They do need some stuff but its hard to come up with things. Perhaps they could get something similar as Engineers have in this thread. Advance Medics could provide upgrades on Infantry and MAX units and some Vehicle Upgrades engineers are unable to do.

Increased Regen Field: AMS is upgraded to heal allies within its cloaking field. And damage enemies such as a pain field. Perhaps less amount though?

Increased Regen Field Building: Spawn area now heals allies in Base/Tower

Oh, and how about this for medics. 3rd tier. Pathogens.

Unlocks new weapon that releases a variety of pathogens and bio-chemical viruses that can be used as a weapon or other abilities. You could come up with some neat stuff for this, turning medics into a slightly offensive force. Some examples as upgrades they would also have could be as follows

Infected Cells: Infected target when killed releases a small non-damaging explosion of pathogens that travel a very short distance infecting any enemies. Symptoms are Blurred Vision and increased drain of stanima. Must be treated by 2nd tier medic or medical station. Or respawn.

opticalshadow
2011-05-04, 11:06 PM
the hacking and engie got weird because of their orginal uses, and then add ons. though personally i like them, basic hack engie serves the need perfectly, and any grunt would only need that much. to use the more advanced features of hacking, you kinda need to be a cloaker, and so it makes sense to specilize, and with as powerful as CE can become, having it cheaper would have a power issue.

now as far as aquireing augments at level intervals, i dont like this at all. it does mean people will have super vehicles. i think if you are going to have any vehicle augments, it should require certing, if you want a more powerful vehicle, you need to pay the balence in power, one of the key things with PS was that a br 1 and a br 20 could do virtually everything the other could, the 20 could just do more of them. but once you start giving hard bonouses, like better armor on their vehicles, it means that the same vehicle with equal skilled drivers would not be equal in combat, and that breaks the balence of the game.

Senyu
2011-05-05, 01:11 PM
now as far as aquireing augments at level intervals, i dont like this at all. it does mean people will have super vehicles. i think if you are going to have any vehicle augments, it should require certing, if you want a more powerful vehicle, you need to pay the balence in power, one of the key things with PS was that a br 1 and a br 20 could do virtually everything the other could, the 20 could just do more of them. but once you start giving hard bonouses, like better armor on their vehicles, it means that the same vehicle with equal skilled drivers would not be equal in combat, and that breaks the balence of the game.

I really dont see how. If a BR1 has access to all the augments that a BR20 has. I think your taking it as augments can stack. Sorry if this wan't mention but no, Augments Cannot Stack. One augment per vehicle. Now you have less augments to choose from, but you can always unlearn it until you have more variety of augments. At BR1 say you have the speed upgrade. Well all the vehicles that can have it are just gona have speed upgrades if you decide to put them on. Until say you also now have armor. And decide your lighting has armor while your buggy has speed. How is this unbalanced?

And on vehicle specific augments such as the Empire Special Tank. Its a pointless augment to have if you do not own the vehicle.

Clown Phoenix
2011-07-11, 05:05 PM
The devs said that you could modify vehicles like Tanks by adding AA guns or a .50 to a tank, but I'm interested to see just how extensive the customization can go. Would be possible, with the right certs, to take a Galaxy and turn it into a gunship at the expense of carrying capacity?

Zulthus
2011-07-11, 05:08 PM
WARNING LONG POST

I don't know about that one.

Haro
2011-07-11, 06:03 PM
All I have to say is... I'd love a kustom red paint job. Makes dem go fasta...

2coolforu
2011-07-11, 06:29 PM
Also moar dakka

Aractain
2011-07-11, 06:32 PM
Dem is dar reddest vehicol der are!

Hamma
2011-07-11, 07:08 PM
I know of two modifications, although one is a MAX.

The MAX has interchangeable weapons currently, you can have AA/AI or AA/AA etc.

The Liberator is in the game and can become a gunship. (Think the AC-130 Spectre)

krnasaur
2011-07-11, 09:30 PM
Didnt Higby also talk about an upgrade to lock down vanguards and shoot sort of like the tanks in starcraft?

Rbstr
2011-07-11, 09:31 PM
As a completely hypothetical example.

Bags
2011-07-11, 09:32 PM
Didnt Higby also talk about an upgrade to lock down vanguards and shoot sort of like the tanks in starcraft?

He said it was an example, not something they were actively considering.

That being said that would be badass.