PDA

View Full Version : Tactical HUD

Senyu
2011-06-06, 12:22 AM
You know those modern or futuristic helmets that have lots of sensor data flowing across the screen and little boxes targeting your enemies as you spot them? Should something like this be implemented into Planetside?

On a basic level Helmets would have little boxes highlight your enemies that are within range and are in line of sight. And take a couple seconds for them to lock onto the target. This could be just a standard or be a implant for infantry.

Onto vehicales I could see it being a normal standard, especially for aircraft passing by having little boxes highlight targets in sight as they come within range. Of course it should be disabled with jammer as well.

Any thoughts or opinions on this or different way to implement the basic concept?

Lonehunter
2011-06-06, 12:36 AM
I think I know what you mean, something like Republic Commando?

Linkage (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/images/stories/Articles/200504/swrc/republic_commando.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/gaming-videogames-64/386-review-star-wars-republic-commando-pc.html&usg=__gSydBBBawCqVCkWuPv8kN8VvLpQ=&h=1024&w=1280&sz=137&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Bqgt1RFXI9UY_M:&tbnh=144&tbnw=188&ei=CGfsTYOkKcPn0QGfutC5AQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drepublic%2Bcommando%2Bhud%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D920%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=350&vpy=87&dur=200&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=119&ty=90&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1680&bih=920)

Aractain
2011-06-06, 05:03 AM
Battle information systems were one of my desires for Planetside 1. They are a non-direct way of supporting your team (i.e. not big insta kill guns).

Implants or radar vehicles (like a mossie, AWACS galaxy or a UAV type thingy) could enable it. Wouldn't want it all the time though so there is variety, not to mention jamming technologys to counter it.

Captain1nsaneo
2011-06-06, 08:40 AM
Radar in planetside works this way outside of interlinks. Personally I don't think they should have any visual highlight as that would make the job of cloakers and snipers more difficult as part of their job is to not be seen. The same goes with VS maxes, sticking yourself in a dark corner becomes worthless as a box would light you up. For a quick example, I went afk once in a max on top of the lockers in a spawn room in an empty base. Came back and there was an NC AV max killing off the tubes, he hadn't noticed me or the other afk max on top of the lockers. With a visual highlight I would have been the one who died.

DviddLeff
2011-06-06, 11:31 AM
Identifying enemies I am happy with if it works like BFBC2; a friendly has to spot them using a specific key then they show up on your HUD, then the spotter gets an XP reward if that player gets killed shortly after.

In PS this spotting feature may only pass on throughout a squad or platoon, rather than every other person on the server.

I loved the HUD in Republic Commando, especially on death and as you were being revived. However a lot of people dislike the idea, for some strange reason.

Lonehunter
2011-06-06, 12:31 PM
I just loved in Commando how well the HUD was built into a helmet view, much more immersion, and in PS there's so much information you can put there.

Senyu
2011-06-07, 01:26 AM
Tactical HUDS could have some factors needed to be used.

Unlocking a Facility

Only usable in certain conditions

Special Equipment needed

Varying upgrades

Only highlights certain units

A technology plant could unlock the HUD for your faction within your sphere's of influence or within a certain distance of an AMS. In addition having an AMP station and a Hanger unlocks the HUD respectivily for ground and air vehicles.

May require a scan of the area, this could be a command rank ability similair to orbital fire. After scan enemies appear on HUD for some duration if remaining in the area. You yourself also must be within a respectable distance for the highlights to show.

Special support equipment similar to the one item used for flails. When targeting and locking onto an enemy (cant be ground or a tree) nearby allies within squad or platoon HUD highlights become locked onto enemy. The lock on lasts for duration. When used in a sphere of influence all allies within the sphere see the lockon. Players may choose to disregard and turn off highlights of enemies as they appear on the screen.

The HUD highlight only works on certain enemies, IE MAX suits and vehicales.

The HUD highlight varies from armour to armour in addition in needing an implant. Light armor may see highlighted enemies from special equipment. Reinforced has HUD highlights for MAX's and vehicales. MAX armour HUD Highlights shows all visable enemies within certain distance. HUD highlights only work outdoors. Reduced distance at nighttime.

These are some possible options and ways to implement this

Aractain
2011-06-07, 10:50 AM
Holding a base is too passive for powerful benifits. Its far cooler to tie it to gameplay. If SOE were forward thinking they would have customisable vehicles and similar systems. Like implant slots for your AMS. Could stick a jamming module in it, a radar module a little AI turret maybe. Stick a huge radar module on your Galaxy to turn it into an AWACS bird.

If the gameplay stays as simple as PS1 we are in trouble. (Again).

Senyu
2011-06-08, 04:36 AM
Holding a base is too passive for powerful benifits. Its far cooler to tie it to gameplay. If SOE were forward thinking they would have customisable vehicles and similar systems. Like implant slots for your AMS. Could stick a jamming module in it, a radar module a little AI turret maybe. Stick a huge radar module on your Galaxy to turn it into an AWACS bird.

If the gameplay stays as simple as PS1 we are in trouble. (Again).

Like these ideas, something similar to implants for vehicales giving customization

Vaner
2011-06-09, 12:26 PM
Lol,no point anymore. Its a cool idea, for a game that may never be. Still sooo sad, to even think of all the cool things we might have seen. Peace

Furret
2011-06-09, 02:58 PM
This would be amazing because then I could play tetris in my helmet when waiting to cap a base :)

Robert089
2011-06-09, 03:26 PM
Identifying enemies I am happy with if it works like BFBC2; a friendly has to spot them using a specific key then they show up on your HUD, then the spotter gets an XP reward if that player gets killed shortly after.

In PS this spotting feature may only pass on throughout a squad or platoon, rather than every other person on the server.

I have always liked the spotting feature in battlefield games and it would work great in Planetside, would be such a useful feature for snipers.

Furret
2011-06-09, 04:37 PM
A possible use for that stupid laze gun i never understood the point of.