TR Jetpack

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/5792a.jpg
TR inexplicably wearing vanu jetpack.

razor851
2011-07-08, 12:18 AM
Fuck.

etheral
2011-07-08, 12:37 AM
Jetpacks? Possibly combined with the JH? (i doubt even SOE is that stupid, but you never know)

If we do get both though, im gonna be rocking a permanent troll face :D

wolfkrone
2011-07-08, 12:43 AM
I don't think its a jet pack ( I hope its not a jetpack )
It might be something for guns to look like they hook onto while they are on your back. Or it could be your shield/armour generator, or a weird looking inventory backpack, maybe its an uplink device or some kind of engineering add-on. Could be lots of things, hopefully not a jetpack.

Tigersmith
2011-07-08, 12:45 AM
I hope this is not in the game. But i fear it will be. Maybe its some sort of gliding machine(hopefully haha)

Im sorry this game is not Tribes. No Jetpacks.

CutterJohn
2011-07-08, 12:47 AM
I hope this is not in the game. But i fear it will be. Maybe its some sort of gliding machine(hopefully haha)

Im sorry this game is not Tribes. No Jetpacks.

Pretty sure its a jet pack. The look just doesn't fit anything else.

Don't see the issue though. There was a jetpack in PS1, on the vanu maxes. That didn't make it tribes. Tribes = Skiing. Not jetpacks.

Not that I'd have an issue with the game being like tribes outdoors. Tribes was awesome for infantry outdoors. 1000x better than PS dealt with it.

Tigersmith
2011-07-08, 12:48 AM

yea i just said the samething to myself again. ehh im goin to bed night all.

More discussion tomorrow haha

NCLynx
2011-07-08, 12:51 AM
Someone never had a CR5...

No but seriously, I doubt they're jetpacks. Although I doubt we'll learn about them tomorrow what with all the class questions etc.

Tigersmith
2011-07-08, 12:53 AM

Someone never had a CR5...

No but seriously, I doubt they're jetpacks. Although I doubt we'll learn about them tomorrow what with all the class questions etc.

if thats a backpack for CR5, its really a change. we will have to find out :)

CutterJohn
2011-07-08, 12:54 AM
CR5 backpacks didn't have intake and exhaust.

DviddLeff
2011-07-08, 01:17 AM
Jetpacks wooo!

Honestly, I want them.

krnasaur
2011-07-08, 02:30 AM
jetpacks cant be that bad, aslong as you have 25 armor and pistols only.

SKYeXile
2011-07-08, 02:58 AM
yea im going to have to say they may look like jet packs, but, they're not. it would negate having walls and galaxys.

if there was flying infantry im sure it would have been in the trailer and they would have mentioned something about it, none the less somebody ask tomorrow.

I personally done care to be dogfighting an infantry with a stryker in my skeeter.

Canaris
2011-07-08, 03:25 AM
I know this isn't part of the Backpack / Jetpack discussion but I have to say it somewhere..... ZE GOGGLES ARE BACK!! :D :trrocks:

Well now thats out of the way, they really do look like jetpacks unless they serve other purposes with the intake and outtake, like re-breather units (air purifiers) in case the otherside uses gas. Yet I look at the fins and think jetpack or scuba gear.

It's a good one

dsi
2011-07-08, 03:52 AM
I don't think its a jet pack ( I hope its not a jetpack )
It might be something for guns to look like they hook onto while they are on your back. Or it could be your shield/armour generator, or a weird looking inventory backpack, maybe its an uplink device or some kind of engineering add-on. Could be lots of things, hopefully not a jetpack.

Please be any of those things (except a jetpack), please.

Elude
2011-07-08, 04:12 AM
We'll lets see.

Wings - Check
Air Intake - Check
Exhaust - Check
Symmetrical - Check

I'm 99 percent sure those are jet packs which I am very sad to say. But who knows maybe they wont be as bad as I imagine they will be, perhaps they don't lift you very high, or they use a lot of energy, or you're extremely weak with them.

One can only hope.

Lunarchild
2011-07-08, 07:33 AM
We'll lets see.

Wings - Check
Air Intake - Check
Exhaust - Check
Symmetrical - Check

I'm 99 percent sure those are jet packs which I am very sad to say. But who knows maybe they wont be as bad as I imagine they will be, perhaps they don't lift you very high, or they use a lot of energy, or you're extremely weak with them.

One can only hope.

Well, if being in a VS MAX has tought me in Planetside: The jumpjets won't get you very far, but can get you pretty high... Which means a painful return to earth!

Zapalot
2011-07-08, 08:00 AM
i like this!

the more i think of it the more it like it.

Think of this a standard base siege, often on the main gates, sometimes BD/drops

But with a jetpack, more ppl (i hope its a cheap cert) will have it than a mossi or guy with a gal. So we a sceanrio with hotdroppers, maingate/bd fights, troops with jetpacks and ofc normal rexos/veh.

Think of it, could be pretty awesome :)

edit: and yea, it should have a range of the current vs max

xcel
2011-07-08, 08:25 AM
Not sure about the TR pic. As for the NC pic...honestly it looks like a gun holster to me..

Brokinarrow
2011-07-08, 09:07 AM
Not sure about the TR pic. As for the NC pic...honestly it looks like a gun holster to me..

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Would need to see a pic of the TR from behind to get a better feel for what it is. Can't tell for sure, but it seems like EVERYONE in the trailer has those things on, so it would make sense for it to be some sort of holster.

Stickywaffle
2011-07-08, 09:15 AM
I spy your mom.

basti
2011-07-08, 10:37 AM
Dont think they are Jetpacks. I believe they are more like simple backpacks with weapon holder. Just the place where your stuff goes. Maybe different backpack for different classes, so you know if the guy infront of you is HA, Med, Engi or whatever.

Raymac
2011-07-08, 11:55 AM
Well, if being in a VS MAX has tought me in Planetside: The jumpjets won't get you very far, but can get you pretty high... Which means a painful return to earth!

This is why I think jumpjets can and should be intigrated into PS2. Make sure their fuel is limited so they can't fly around all day, perhaps just slightly weaker than VS Max jumpjets are now. Combine that with making it cost something so it's not a default cert that everyone gets, and I think it will be a great addition.

Just think of all the places you wish you could get to on the map if only you had a short jumpjet.

Sifer2
2011-07-08, 12:00 PM
I don't see why everyone is so against the idea. Especially if its available to all Empires an restricted to light armor. Which is what it looks like in these screenshots. Makes you decide between being heavy armor commando or fast an able to jet over walls light assault scout or something. People are probably going to have to come to grips with a lot of new weapons an tactics since it is a sequel after all not a remake.

Firefly
2011-07-08, 12:05 PM
I don't see why everyone is so against the idea.
Speaking for myself... Maybe because it's been done before. Jumpjet infantry in BattleTech and its associated IPs... Global Agenda, the wanna-be Planetside for twitch zombies. It's cool for VS MAXes... your jumpjets don't negate my aim.

Sifer2
2011-07-08, 12:10 PM
Speaking for myself... Maybe because it's been done before. Jumpjet infantry in BattleTech and its associated IPs... Global Agenda, the wanna-be Planetside for twitch zombies. It's cool for VS MAXes... your jumpjets don't negate my aim.

Maybe there will be a minigun that makes you slow but sprays enough bullets you don't need good aim lol. We don't know yet. But speaking for myself I don't mind jetpacks on light infantry. If they die to say only one sniper shot then really good snipers that can clip them in the air will have a nice hobby. But yeah as far as weapons/vehicles go i'm taking a wait an see approach. More concerned with major game mechanics right now like the squad spawn stuff.

Firefly
2011-07-08, 12:14 PM
We don't know yet.
This pretty much sums up my attitude about everything since yesterday. I have to constantly keep myself in check so that I don't assume too much.

wolfkrone
2011-07-08, 12:22 PM
Maybe there will be a minigun that makes you slow but sprays enough bullets you don't need good aim lol. We don't know yet. But speaking for myself I don't mind jetpacks on light infantry. If they die to say only one sniper shot then really good snipers that can clip them in the air will have a nice hobby. But yeah as far as weapons/vehicles go i'm taking a wait an see approach. More concerned with major game mechanics right now like the squad spawn stuff.

Jetpacks are terrible for a few reasons. If you don't understand what those are and why they are so game breaking then just go play some Global Agenda, its free now and will answer your questions.

I've been thinking that actually what those backpacks might be is the new surge but more sustainable. A fast running device like the max units. If you fired yourself over the edge the new physics system would let you strategically drop into places, that would actually be kinda cool. We should know soon enough anyway.

Sifer2
2011-07-08, 12:41 PM
Jetpacks are terrible for a few reasons. If you don't understand what those are and why they are so game breaking then just go play some Global Agenda, its free now and will answer your questions.

I wont deny that Jetpacks offer a powerful advantage in a 3D FPS environment. Being able to get to places others can't reach. Ambush unsuspecting players from above. An get the better off those who can't aim well. But honestly this is Planetside were talking about. A game where if you jet into the sky your probably going to get shot at by 50 people at once an blown up by a tank when you land. An it will be all but useless indoors.

Really until Beta its hard to say. Lets just hope that SOE is willing to listen an remove them if they are seen as being the worst thing since BFR's after testing.

CutterJohn
2011-07-08, 01:02 PM
Jetpacks are confirmed guys. Woot! I really don't see the issue. VS had them. Annoying, but not that bad.

They said they are jump jets, and will only be available to certain classes.

basti
2011-07-08, 01:03 PM
Jump packs for light armor guys most likley.

Firefly
2011-07-08, 01:21 PM
Jetpacks are confirmed guys. Woot! I really don't see the issue. VS had them. Annoying, but not that bad.

They said they are jump jets, and will only be available to certain classes.
Where?

Manitou
2011-07-08, 01:26 PM
Where?
On the live-streamed panel today. Watch for the transcript soon.

Tikuto
2011-07-14, 08:08 AM
It could just be a division of infantry soldier. I think it's great. I'm guessing it's the fundamental root-skill (refering to Rift) reward of choosing a specific skill tree.

Aractain
2011-07-14, 08:14 AM
Which speaks to the best part about the design on Planetside 2. Balance. They can balance people on their roles giving powerful stuff knowing that you can't stack it with other powerful stuff to make the Standard Super Solider loadout.

Lets hope this gets rid of the bailers (or maybe there is no bailing - what if it costs resoruces to deploy ALL aircraft?).

basti
2011-10-05, 01:37 PM
LEts dig this threat out of the grave, as there are some Jump pack info:

Good News! You won't see everybody flying around using Jump Jets, they are limited to only (1) Class. Jump Jets are only available to the Light Assault Class, and there is a cool-down timer in place to prevent players from non-stop jumping. And for those who want to Jump-and-Shoot; go for it but keep in mind that while your Jump Jets are active your cone-of-fire is going to go way up, making it more difficult to hit that soldier on the ground.

source: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?start=30&topic_id=88000028073

While this isnt news for everyone with a sane mind, there actually is a shiny little gem in here: C O F . It seems like we keep that, and dont get the usual FPS way of HOLD FIRE AND AIM A BIT LOWER!

Talek Krell
2011-10-05, 01:38 PM
So he did. Interesting. That makes ironsights a bit odd, but perhaps they just help it hold steady.

Bags
2011-10-05, 01:39 PM
While this isnt news for everyone with a sane mind, there actually is a shiny little gem in here: C O F . It seems like we keep that, and dont get the usual FPS way of HOLD FIRE AND AIM A BIT LOWER!

So much yay.

Hamma
2011-10-05, 02:36 PM
Well that is an interesting tidbit of news.

basti
2011-10-05, 02:38 PM
Well that is an interesting tidbit of news.

I just posted it to proove that im the better stalker. Your turn now. :p
also atm trying to verify the COF stuff.

Aractain
2011-10-05, 02:41 PM
They could have COF and a screen recoil effect, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

basti
2011-10-05, 02:44 PM
They could have COF and a screen recoil effect, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Indeed, but usually shooters do it that way that your bullets just go a bit higher and still be pretty accurate. Once you got a hang of a weapon, you could just keep fireing. In planetside, that was pointless, as your bullets would go everywhere on the screen.

basti
2011-10-05, 03:02 PM
anndd it is a mix.

http://twitter.com/#!/mhigby/status/121675844098863104

Bags
2011-10-05, 03:18 PM
Oh well, a mix is better than pure recoil. So I guess there will be kickback, but you can't just hold m1 and empty your entire clip accurately?

LZachariah
2011-10-05, 03:31 PM
There should not be ANY surprise about this topic to ANYONE who has read like ANYTHING that Higby has said. In this game, Fast Attack Infantry have jump packs. He says that they are powerful enough to leap soldiers over walls, but they cannot fly. These jump packs are mutually exclusive with Sniper Rifles, because he said that the jump packs allow for such excellent positioning, having a high-powered rifle as well would be overpowered.

Seriously, people o.O

~Zachariah

Higby
2011-10-05, 03:47 PM
Bit more about this -

Certain weapons use one mechanic a lot more than others - for instance weapon recoil (kick / barrel rise, whatever you want to call it) doesn't work as well as COF for something like a hip-fired minigun or LMG, but it works great for an assault rifle in iron sights / scope. We have the capacity to apply both to differing degrees based on weapon type, movement (crouching, running, jumping), fire mode (iron sights, scope, hip fire). That gives us the maximum flexibility to make weapons that feels realistic.

Aractain
2011-10-05, 04:00 PM
Sounds good.

Bags
2011-10-05, 04:00 PM
Bit more about this -

Certain weapons use one mechanic a lot more than others - for instance weapon recoil (kick / barrel rise, whatever you want to call it) doesn't work as well as COF for something like a hip-fired minigun or LMG, but it works great for an assault rifle in iron sights / scope. We have the capacity to apply both to differing degrees based on weapon type, movement (crouching, running, jumping), fire mode (iron sights, scope, hip fire). That gives us the maximum flexibility to make weapons that feels realistic.

I'm liking this idea. Kickback would have been a PITA for MCG, but I'm fine-ish with it on rifles for example.

yay.

Xyntech
2011-10-05, 05:18 PM
That sounds like a pretty good solution.

A little kick back could make a HA feel more powerful, while the COF bloom simulated the weapon jumping all over the place in your hands as it fired.

A small COF on a rifle would prevent them from ever being fully accurate while in full auto, while a kickback providing most of the inaccuracy during rapid fire would allow you to learn to counter it somewhat.

This will also allow for even more options to tweak stats and find that sweet spot of balance.

Good to hear that the COF is making a comeback. As long as shotguns don't have a wider spread of pellets when their COF is large, I'll be happy.

Graywolves
2011-10-05, 07:36 PM
I like kickback/weaponrise. I like aiming centermass/chest and doing so with those weapons ends up providing me with a headshot.

Both systems work fine for me really.

Bags
2011-10-05, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but kick back takes a lot less skill to manage than COF. You can just hold M1 and not miss.

Graywolves
2011-10-05, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but kick back takes a lot less skill to manage than COF. You can just hold M1 and not miss.

No matter what the mechanic is, you're just pointing and clicking in an FPS.

Bags
2011-10-05, 08:11 PM
No matter what the mechanic is, you're just pointing and clicking in an FPS.

Yes, but in BF3 you can hold mouse 1 and spray fairly accurately across the map, where that doesn't work in PS1 due to large TTK and COF.

Graywolves
2011-10-05, 08:16 PM
Yes, but in BF3 you can hold mouse 1 and spray fairly accurately across the map, where that doesn't work in PS1 due to large TTK and COF.

That is a valid point. I think if the kickback is powerful enough we shouldn't have that problem but with high mouse sensitivity it might be exploitable.

Xyntech
2011-10-05, 08:19 PM

I'd say they take about the same amount of skill, but in different ways.

Fighting the kick back is a more active skill. Managing COF is a more passive skill that takes more patience than anything.

That is a valid point. I think if the kickback is powerful enough we shouldn't have that problem but with high mouse sensitivity it might be exploitable.

I think the trick to this is to not make the kick back be %100 consistent. Like maybe it always kicks the gun upwards a certain amount, but in addition to that it may kick the gun a tiny bit in any other direction, so it may kick upwards a little more or less than you expected or it may drift to one side or the other.

Just increasing the kickback will only penalize players with lower sensitivity and reward players with higher. Maybe that's not always a bad thing, but certainly not the way to balance a standard everyman rifle.

Bags
2011-10-05, 08:25 PM
edit" shouldn't derail this this badly.

Traak
2011-10-06, 05:08 AM
Standard and predictable kickback will result in mouse macros that move the mouse down a certain amount per second or per shot, to completely counteract the kick with any chosen weapon.

Or cheats that eliminate kick on a per-weapon basis, so now instead of having COF, we have zero COF because kick can be macro'd out of the equation with easy-to-use programming on the part of hack sellers.

I like COF bloom and the floating retical of PS because it made it so your forward view wasn't 30 percent filled with a close-up of your weapon, which, to me is stupid-looking after a while. I don't need to keep seeing the top of my rifle in great detail to feel immersed.

I think PS's original system was great. But I don't cheat or use HA, so I guess I would. Imagine if your glue gun had full-auto kick. Then I might hate kick even more.

CutterJohn
2011-10-06, 06:54 PM

You can learn to manage it though. With a CoF you're at the whims of the RNG. If someone suggested random damage there would be rage(i.e. RPG style 10-19 damage or whatever), but randomized aim is somehow fine.

At least they could make the resting cof 1-2 MOA. The resting cof of PS weapons was worse than the spread of a real shotgun(and the shotguns were just stupid).

NapalmEnima
2011-10-06, 07:09 PM
You can learn to manage it though. With a CoF you're at the whims of the RNG. If someone suggested random damage there would be rage(i.e. RPG style 10-19 damage or whatever), but randomized aim is somehow fine.

You can manage your kick back but not your CoF? Err... wait.

Yes, each weapon will have some minimum-but-still-relatively-large CoF when fired from the hip. If you really want to hit your target, use the sights. That's what they're for.

And as far as CoF bloom as you fire vs kick back?

Listen to Hicks: Short, Controlled Bursts

Baneblade
2011-10-10, 09:14 AM
jetpacks cant be that bad, aslong as you have 25 armor and pistols only.

The Dual Beamer Avenger?

Traak
2011-10-10, 09:50 AM
Yes, his nickname will be the DeciBel. (dBa)

NapalmEnima
2011-10-10, 12:40 PM
Yes, his nickname will be the DeciBel. (dBa)

Or Jango, or dammit-where's-my-head, or...

Geist
2011-10-10, 04:54 PM
I like all this news. A rifle with iron sights should be more kickback than CoF, and a MCG should always be CoF with no Iron Sights(although computer aided targeting as an upgrade to the HA tree would be awesome). And now that there are jump jets, I can definitely see about 30-50 man Galaxy Assaults with nothing but jump jet guys, hopping around the base acting as horribly annoying as possible while their team mates invade the courtyard.

Talek Krell
2011-10-10, 05:04 PM
Let it rain shock troops. :D

kidriot
2011-10-11, 06:13 AM
jet packing troops would be the new hot drop. hopping over walls or onto tower ledges and setting up primary distraction/focal fire point while waiting for reg troops is boss.