PDA

View Full Version : I think I've already lost interest.

Noyjitatps
2011-07-08, 06:04 PM
automatic skill training - This is the reason why I hated eve online so much. I don't want to wait on skills to train on some dumb ass timer. I want to earn them just like we currently do by killing people. This system keeps those of us that are fast at leveling and advancement from advancing quicker I do not like this.

Weapon / vehicle enhancements - Ok is this planetside or world of warcraft with guns? Seriously who actually likes this idea? In planetside we have always had weapons with the same exact stats on them at all times. Everyone tr had the same mcg, every nc had the same jackhammers and every vs had the same lasher.

No weapon stats, no vehicle stats. My jackhammer should always kill you in same number of shots no longer how long i've played or how long you've played. My jackhammer should always have the same maximum range, reload time, round of fire, cone of fire, etc. All of these things should never change based off my level or my achievements ingame. This does not belong in planetside and I really hope these 2 ideas never make it out of beta.

I really hope I'm not alone here because this saddens me everytime I read it.

Goku
2011-07-08, 06:10 PM
I would wait on to see what the changes are going to be. There will be trade offs that will only make the modifications trade offs to peoples' liking if I had to bet. It would be stupid of SOE to put in damage mods for instance like making X bullet do Y damage more then normal. I think we will just see say acceleration/speed/handling changes on vehicles. For weapons we may see different sites used to slight RoF changes. Say with a JH you can adjust the pellet spread causing it to have higher range, but you increase the TTK. With a MCG you could slightly increase RoF at the cost of loosing range. The same could likely be applied to vehicle weapons in some instances. Though probably more limited as it could greatly change the mechanics due to vehicles being stronger. I am sure you guys do not want to see a straight shot shell coming from a VG, you guys would think its the particle cannon I'm sure ;).

Raymac
2011-07-08, 06:12 PM
I'm looking forward to deeper customization, especially as time goes on. It will help keep the game fresh.

basti
2011-07-08, 06:14 PM
Sorry, but you are pretty much alone. There are maybe a few with you, but you guys are pretty lost between a large crowd of people loving those changes.

Just wait and see for more details on the stuff, and beta. You propably imagine things because you judge from other games.

Wait and see. :)

Vancha
2011-07-08, 06:16 PM
They said they wanted to keep the level-ground a BR1 has with a BR20. Lets wait to see that that's actually gone before we go complaining.

Also, the EVE-style timer may be pointless, but it's a 24 hour queue. It sounds like these skills will take hours to train, rather than days/weeks.

basti
2011-07-08, 06:18 PM
They said they wanted to keep the level-ground a BR1 has with a BR20. Lets wait to see that that's actually gone before we go complaining.

Also, the EVE-style timer may be pointless, but it's a 24 hour queue. It sounds like these skills will take hours to train, rather than days/weeks.

This, both actually.

Besides the certs/skills seeming to be trained quite fast, you also train them faster if you actually play. Means you archive faster if you are better. :)

DviddLeff
2011-07-08, 06:21 PM
The skill advancement goes faster if you play, the key is that it is in to allow you to in comparison to PS earn BEP by doing anything, not just rolling with the zerg to the big fights and milking them for BEP.

Customisation should/could be ok, as long as the options are balanced to each other; BF:BC2 did this well, COD:MW2 did not.

Noyjitatps
2011-07-08, 06:30 PM
All I know is that beamer I got at level 1 in ps1 always did the same damage and had the same cof all the way to br40 and if its any different in this game then I'm sorry that isn't planetside. My same pistol or rifle should be exactly the same as it was the day I got it so the only thing allowing me to kill people at different levels is my skill level and not a number or weapon stat.

It sounds like these skills will take hours to train, rather than days/weeks.

That's how it worked in eve and that's why I hated it. Nothing you could do ingame would make the timer speed up or disappear. No amount of killing or anything. You couldn't earn the skill you were stuck behind a lame ass timer where some things took a whole day, week or months to train.

DviddLeff
2011-07-08, 06:35 PM
The impression I get is that on your pulsar you could modify it so that its more accurate, but less damaging; balancing out.

But yes, if its just - once you get 1000 kills you do 1 more damage per shot - it will be lame and beta testers had better kick up one hell of a fuss.

Vancha
2011-07-08, 06:37 PM
That's how it worked in eve and that's why I hated it. Nothing you could do ingame would make the timer speed up or disappear. No amount of killing or anything. You couldn't earn the skill you were stuck behind a lame ass timer where some things took a whole day, week or months to train.

Being in-game will speed the timer up, and like I say, it doesn't sound like anything's going to take as long as a day, let alone weeks or months.

Game Appearance - How will weapon-customization be implemented into the game?
There will be weapon customization in the game. The customization will be very sensitive to player gaining to much power. An upgrade may allow you to unlock different variants that are less accurate but do more damage. There will be a 15% to 20% maximum difference between players who are new compared to experienced.
I can't tell if this means 15-20% improvement, or just difference.

Rbstr
2011-07-08, 06:38 PM
So it doesn't make any sense to be able to put a scope on top, or a grenade launcher underneath or put in a larger magazine.
Or trade it for the marksman version, with a longer, heavier barrel. On the opposite end you could go for the light-weight carbine.

There are a number of customizations to a basic gun that don't have to do with some damage modifier number. They can even all fire the same ammo and end up with rather different muzzle velocities.

Over time and use of a weapon you get better at things that a video game doesn't typically let you control, like reload speeds.

Noyjitatps
2011-07-08, 07:06 PM
So it doesn't make any sense to be able to put a scope on top, or a grenade launcher underneath or put in a larger magazine.
Or trade it for the marksman version, with a longer, heavier barrel. On the opposite end you could go for the light-weight carbine.

There are a number of customizations to a basic gun that don't have to do with some damage modifier number. They can even all fire the same ammo and end up with rather different muzzle velocities.

Over time and use of a weapon you get better at things that a video game doesn't typically let you control, like reload speeds.

In a game that prides itself on skill and equal footing no it doesn't belong. I would accept things like what we have now with the rocklet rifle having a secondary mode that fires the salvo rapidly with a big cof. Because I and everyone that uses that certs the gun has it right at level 1 (if you cert the gun at level 1) and all the way to 40.

I guess I'll have to wait until beta but I'll be damned if I let them turn this game into an rpg without bitching about it.

Goku
2011-07-08, 07:10 PM
In a game that prides itself on skill and equal footing no it doesn't belong. I would accept things like what we have now with the rocklet rifle having a secondary mode that fires the salvo rapidly with a big cof. Because I and everyone that uses that certs the gun has it right at level 1 (if you cert the gun at level 1) and all the way to 40.

I guess I'll have to wait until beta but I'll be damned if I let them turn this game into an rpg without bitching about it.

Welcome to he beauty of forums and getting into beta!

Bags
2011-07-08, 07:29 PM
AS long as a skilled BR 1 is on equal footing as a max level character then I'm fine with it.

CutterJohn
2011-07-08, 07:39 PM
I don't mind the customization of weapons. I am a bit sour that battle rank determines access to them. We'll see how much influence the certs have. If its modest, or BRs not to strenuous to achieve, I'll not grumble too much. Had it just been determined by certs, it would be quite fine. Cert MA, cert underbarrel GL, cert scope, etc. Its nice that people can specialize in the weapons/vehicles/roles they prefer.

The classes, I'm ambivalent about. I see the need, but will miss the extreme customization of rexo. I can understand why they did it though.. When everyone can carry the best of everything, its hard to balance. I may have wanted a skyguard flak cannon on a magrider, I understand it would not have been balanced.

And it may be that our fears are unfounded to a degree. We may still be able to carry a medical kit on a grunt aside from medic, but there will just not be medic bonuses.

Rexo got to carry the most powerful AI, and AV weapons, plus grenades, spare ammo, be a doctor, be a repairman, hack, and use his command god tool, all with a fair bit of ammo to spare. Might be soldiers were a fair bit too multipurpose in PS.

Gears of war did this nicely.

Sifer2
2011-07-08, 10:34 PM
AS long as a skilled BR 1 is on equal footing as a max level character then I'm fine with it.

Doesn't sound like that will be the case this time. Weapon mods will give an advantage. But at least its not going to be like an RPG where you can't deal any damage to a player a few levels higher than you. Unload a clip into a veteran in Planetside an i'm sure he will still die no matter your rank.

Brokinarrow
2011-07-08, 10:46 PM
They did mention that your certs will train faster if you are online and playing than just offline. So here is what I can see happening: They time the leveling requirements and cert training time to where your certs will be finished by the time you hit your next level. I'm fairly sure they'll find a way to avoid someone leveling and not have their previous level's certs done. Anyway, I'm not going to judge to much until we get into beta testing, then I'll let SOE know what I think after I've experienced it first hand :D

Bags
2011-07-08, 11:38 PM
Doesn't sound like that will be the case this time. Weapon mods will give an advantage. But at least its not going to be like an RPG where you can't deal any damage to a player a few levels higher than you. Unload a clip into a veteran in Planetside an i'm sure he will still die no matter your rank.

Um, implants? Second wind, pshield, surge, knife boost all give huge combat bonuses.

I should have meant, no more so than it already is in PS1. If we have weapon mods and implants, there's a problem.

If we have just one of them, it's not ideal but it's workable.

dsi
2011-07-09, 12:16 AM
SOE has a lot of explaining to do before I'm really interested in spending money.

NCLynx
2011-07-09, 01:07 AM
The thing that bugs me the most was the mention of Killstreaks and Quick Knifing. My only real concerns are that right now.

razor851
2011-07-09, 01:35 AM
I'm looking forward to deeper customization, especially as time goes on. It will help keep the game fresh.
I strongly disagree. If you kill me, it better be because you're a better player than I am, not because you've been playing the game longer.

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:45 AM
I strongly disagree. If you kill me, it better be because you're a better player than I am, not because you've been playing the game longer.

But I agree with you there. They seem to mention weapon upgrades as trade offs, but I'd like to keep any upgrade, no matter how its counter balanced, to be as minimal as possible. Experience in it of itself is enough of an advantage in a game like Planetside.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 02:01 AM

Or because you had so few certs you can't afford the same equipment I can, or because you had the audacity to be a grunt in a tank fight, or spent all your certs on hacking and engy and whatnot and only have agile and MA.

Fights are almost never fair in PS.

Bags
2011-07-09, 02:02 AM
Or because you had so few certs you can't afford the same equipment I can, or because you had the audacity to be a grunt in a tank fight, or spent all your certs on hacking and engy and whatnot and only have agile and MA.

Fights are almost never fair in PS.

I think he means that if you both have the same gun skill determines who wins.

But we have implants now so... so much for that.

CutterJohn
2011-07-09, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I know what he meant, but its still worrying about nothing imo. There are so few instances of two people fighting with equal weapons its inconsequential. Equal is a fine ideal, and it'd be nice to have, but I for one ain't going to worry about a 15 or 20% difference. It gets lost in the chaos of a group.

dsi
2011-07-09, 02:15 AM
Yeah, I know what he meant, but its still worrying about nothing imo. There are so few instances of two people fighting with equal weapons its inconsequential. Equal is a fine ideal, and it'd be nice to have, but I for one ain't going to worry about a 15 or 20% difference. It gets lost in the chaos of a group.

Agreed, the Q&A session was pretty relaxing, if you're in a position where 15 to 20% matters you failed at planning ahead.

Quick knife is worrying but hopefully it isn't OSOK. Hopefully 'killstreaks' was a euphemism for something else, or maybe for just, literally, going on a killing streak.

Bags
2011-07-09, 02:17 AM
Agreed, the Q&A session was pretty relaxing, if you're in a position where 15 to 20% matters you failed at planning ahead.

Quick knife is worrying but hopefully it isn't OSOK. Hopefully 'killstreaks' was a euphemism for something else, or maybe for just, literally, going on a killing streak.

they said killstreaks are to let you know you've achieved a short term goal, so I imagine it will just be text or something.

Dreamcast
2011-07-09, 04:02 AM
If it's one hit kill knifing, then thats pretty horrible......I really hope gun butting is the only one available tho, maybe have ur gun have a blade to do alittle bit more damage or something.

Killstreaks, Im unsure off.....Hopefully it wont be OP to the extreme, and hopefully it wont encourage people just think about kill streaks and not about the actual objectives of winning.

Maybe they should have other streaks aswell...teamstreaks?

Grimster
2011-07-09, 04:06 AM
If it's one hit kill knifing, then thats pretty horrible......I really hope gun butting is the only one available tho, maybe have ur gun have a blade to do alittle bit more damage or something.

Killstreaks, Im unsure off.....Hopefully it wont be OP to the extreme, and hopefully it wont encourage people just think about kill streaks and not about the actual objectives of winning.

Maybe they should have other streaks aswell...teamstreaks?

Your imagination must have been going wild when you thought up that forum name. :D :D

Dreamcast
2011-07-09, 04:21 AM
Your imagination must have been going wild when you thought up that forum name. :D :D

I was trying to come up with a name, couldn't come up with a cool one then I decided to try Planetside. Apperantly nobody ever got it, I felt special being the only Planetside guy so I picked it.

xcel
2011-07-09, 04:47 AM
All this talk about kill streaks, quick knifing and aim down sights is making it seem like COD....not cool....I'm worried that they are going to scrap the old armor/ health system for an on screen blood effect and players health are going to be incredibly low. (Where four bullets kill someone.)

Edit: Just learned that's called TTK.....yeah...hope that doesn't change.

Meecrob
2011-07-09, 06:55 AM
All this nostalgia about planetside 1's infantry mechanics really suprises me to be quite honest. Ive played ps from the beginning off and on (mostly off lately :() and i think that together with eve and WoW its in the top three of best mmo's ever. But there were some major flaws.

And for me the biggest flaw was the shooting mechanic for infantry. and ill now list what was.
1. 3rd person camping for the lose. This was actually more of an exploit to my opinion than something that was working as intended.
2. Cone of fire. The weapons all had a rediculous ranges where bullets would fly. I mean when u sprayed with your suppressor on a wall it would end up creating a circle of bulletholes. I like how CoD and CS do this. A weapon will have a 'offset' when you spray, but a predictable one in a certain direction. (shooting someones feet in cs with a ak47 could land you a headshot in some situations) This will result in that the more you use a weapon the more you know or get skill with it.
3. Damage. Two hits with a sniper to get a kill really worked for ps, but i dont think it will work in ps2. From what ive heard it will be faster paced. To be more to the point faster respawning (less downtime). In this regard i think quick knifing should not be a problem (as long as a shotgun blast to the face 1 shots you aswell).

I don't mean any disrespect to the people who want to keep the mechanics from ps1 intact for ps2, im all for that, but to try and stop progress in the infantry mechanics is just not helping ps2 at all in my opnion.

p.s.
I do worry about health regen and killstreaks. I think they should keep a fixed amount of hp and let the killstreaks only be little advantanges (like uav).

p.p.s
Saying that a br1 and a br 20 in ps1 were equal when using the same weapon is retarded.

SKYeXile
2011-07-09, 07:10 AM
p.p.s
Saying that a br1 and a br 20 in ps1 were equal when using the same weapon is retarded.

bar implants and armour, they're on exactly the same footing.

???

Meecrob
2011-07-09, 07:17 AM
bar implants and armour, they're on exactly the same footing.

???

Yes well bar a red dot sight a CoD M4A1 on lvl 40 is equal to it on lvl 1.
Bar all leveling improvements ofc u are equal....

Besides its not only armour and implants. It was also the engi and medic cert wich higher lvls could afford. When a br1 and a br20 have a sniping battle the br20 can just hide and heal up.

BorisBlade
2011-07-09, 09:57 AM
The customization things are good, prob horrible to balance tho lol. The faster kill times, aka you are gonna die instantly to most things and the squad spawning to make up for this horrible idea are both the worst changes by far and i hope dont stay. Keep these terrible CoD/BF ideas out of PS. The game is too big to be having instant deaths. Way too many people playing means you will take fire from a hundred angles. Fast death just means tons of time respawning. And respawnin on your group is lame. So now i have to kill the entire squad within seconds of each other or they just keep magically poppin up? Seriously? How would you clear em from your base if you cant take out an ams or a tower? YOu cant kill enough of em to stop squad spawning.

I may not like every change but msot all seem very cool ideas. Those were the only two that will make me not play the game.

Being an MMO you get attatched to your character much more. The throwaway feel you get from instant deaths just doesnt fit at all. If im just dieing non stop from every few bullets that fly by then its no fun at all. The slower TTK of PS1 allows you to react and change strats as you encounter the enemy. It allows for some thought and tactics. Medics and engineers are very useful with this set up. If you just die instantly like in the CoD style games then why have a medic? I wouldnt ever be one. And if you just get some lame spawn on your squad, you dont need em for rezzes. And whats it matter if you just brainlessly zerg in without takin cover, you can just respawn right back where you were.

The longer TTK's are much better in a game like PS. And the spawn points you get from capturable points like bases/towers/etc and the mobile spawn points you must bring in like the AMS were much better tactically and gameplay wise. You can use these to get in to an area and the enemy can take them out/capture them to get you out of the area. You also will play smarter and more tactically cause you first have the ability to live long enough to react and second you dont spawn right back on yoru squad where you died. You would have to come back thru everything again. Why cover yoru bud if he will just respawn right back with you anyway at full health? Other than the respawn delay who cares.

Imagine if every squad had an ams for their squad on their back in ps1....thats what squad spawnin is. Terrible. When you find one guy slips thru the front line in the field and now all of a sudden its 10 guys hittin your back lines cause they magically squad spawned on him, you'll see what i mean.

Warruz
2011-07-09, 10:14 AM
aim down sights

When the hell is this a deal breaker? If anything its expected in this day in age for a FPS. Look down your sight for better accuracy and sacrifice movement.

PsychoXR-20
2011-07-09, 10:25 AM
When the hell is this a deal breaker? If anything its expected in this day in age for a FPS. Look down your sight for better accuracy and sacrifice movement.

Fun fact, the default 2x zoom that every player has was put in to compensate for the lack of iron sights.

I personally love iron sights (well, not the iron part, but give me a red dot sight and I'm set).

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:10 PM
Fun fact, the default 2x zoom that every player has was put in to compensate for the lack of iron sights.

I personally love iron sights (well, not the iron part, but give me a red dot sight and I'm set).

Hell yeah. I did a fist pump high in the air when the iron sights showed up in the trailer. Everytime I use the zoom in PS1, I just imagine it as iron sights anyways. Actual ADS will be better than my imaginary ADS.

Sifer2
2011-07-09, 01:29 PM
Yeah iron sights is probably one of the few new age changes I can fully get behind.

Kill streaks though are unnecessary unless its just something on my achievement panel I can ignore an doesn't pop up in my face. An fast deaths is something I also hope they avoid. This isn't CoD or Battlefield. Dying that fast will suck with this many guns firing at you an make Medic kind of pointless.

Which squad spawn may also do. Though its confirmed to be drop pod spawns. An might have a decent timer on it. I'm hoping at least a minute.

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:48 PM
Yes well bar a red dot sight a CoD M4A1 on lvl 40 is equal to it on lvl 1.
Bar all leveling improvements ofc u are equal....

Besides its not only armour and implants. It was also the engi and medic cert wich higher lvls could afford. When a br1 and a br20 have a sniping battle the br20 can just hide and heal up.

My favorite part about being br 25 is that I could use my medapp and engineer gun while using my mcg in combat.

owait

Bags
2011-07-09, 01:50 PM

Bloody screens are expected in today's FPS

Should our screens become bloody when shot in PS2?

Raymac
2011-07-09, 01:53 PM

Will there even be blood this time?

Noyjitatps
2011-07-10, 09:13 AM

Yes this a thousand times over. This is the point I'm trying to make here. This is how it always should be and this is why weapon and vehicle attachments cannot be anything but cosmetic.

Now if they want to make 2 lashers, mcgs, jackhammers, etc one that does AI damage and one that does AV damage then that's a different story but that should probably just be simplified by having you carry two types of ammo like nc and tr did for years.

Aractain
2011-07-10, 09:20 AM
I hope thier killstreaks arn't boring "DOMINATION" stuff.

I want them to be empire specific. Example: For TR you get "Hero of the Republic".

Aslo needs blood on the screen even when you didn't take any damage. Just to show how real the game is.

Gandhi
2011-07-10, 09:22 AM
I hope thier killstreaks arn't boring "DOMINATION" stuff.

I want them to be empire specific. Example: For TR you get "Hero of the Republic".
Only if the Vanu get "Technoviking"

basti
2011-07-10, 09:44 AM

Please no! Please no Blood at all!

This entire gore shit is really just annoying. I dont want to have a completly red screen whenever i get shot bad, i just want a damage indicator to see where the damage is coming from.

PsychoXR-20
2011-07-10, 11:53 AM

Bloody screens are usually used in games with auto health regen. It's pretty much confirmed that PS2 will use health, since we have a medic class (a medic class would be pretty underwhelming if all they could do was revive people) as well as the fact that Higby said "assault" classes would have limited ways in healing themselves.

However, on a similar note, I would love to see other screen effects. All this PS2 talk made me go back and watch some BF2142 vids and I forgot about things like when explosives go off near you you get a little blurry vision, the EMP effect with your visor shorting out. I'd love to have those types of effects.

But the over the top screen covered in blood is pretty cheesy.